Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Stock shortblock/cubic inch cam-only entry:) 56k beware

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteLTone
With 410's dont you think itll run outta gear when you make the trip down to run 1/4? I kno my car on 28" w/ 3.90's comes thru the traps around 7000/7100 @ 150
Honestly I don't really ever plan to run 1/4 mile stuff. I might, but I have also thought about making a gear change too.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think with a gear swap, it'll allow you to put more in it off the line without blowing the tires off. A 3.73 gear might be the trick.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 28s mine runs out of gear about 1150ft out. I really need a 3.90 or 3.73. But, I just went to a 28w so its a hair taller, plus a little tighter convertor
Old 06-20-2012, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

I have thought about a set of 3.73's, but the main thing keeping me from doing it is I plan on putting a power glide in it as an off season upgrade or sooner if I come across a deal and with a 1.80 first gear that 4.11 rear gear I have right now with the weight of my car and the power it makes on the little tire will be perfect.

When it went 1.35 60' on the 6.13 pass it had 12* timing pulled from 25-27* as I was being extra safe because I have never messed with nitrous a lot and I like to experiment to see what adjustments do what and the result was it was a dog. I loosened the front shocks up 4 clicks still 1.35 60'. Upped the timing retard rpm by 400rpm still 1.35 60'.

When it went 1.31 60' on the 150 shot it had 8* pulled from 27*-29*. I have so much timing lead left on the strap of my plugs it not even funny.

I'm not playing around anymore, I know what the motor wants. Instead of pulling 12* across the board I am only pulling 10*, BUT I am ramping the timing retard in. I will also solely be running 110 instead of mixing it 50/50 with 93. When it went 1.31 on the 150 shot it had 19-20* of timing at launch rpm all the way to redline.

With the timing set up the way I have it now it will have 20-21* degrees timing at launch rpm and then I am ramping the total timing down to 17-18* down track instead of 14-17* like it had last time on the 200 shot.

Combine the new timing strategy with a true 1000psi bottle pressure and granted the racing gods allow the track to hold this tune-up I know it will go 5's how deep we will find out

With all you bastards breathing down my neck and going faster than me I got to step it up looks like
Old 06-21-2012, 01:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would still toss a 3.73 in it if u get a deal..3.90s would be about what i would want for your weight an glide..its what gear i would go to for x275 if i remeber right..

I say strap the front down..hit it with everything an let the motors tq walk u off the line
Old 06-21-2012, 07:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
I would still toss a 3.73 in it if u get a deal..3.90s would be about what i would want for your weight an glide..its what gear i would go to for x275 if i remeber right..

I say strap the front down..hit it with everything an let the motors tq walk u off the line
Speaking of torque....

Can anyone say flat power curve? Who says big cams can't make good average power? This dyno was done in horrible DA, 5800 unlocked stall, 18psi of air in the rear tires(you can manipulate a dyno's power output easily with tire pressure) spool, and 4.10's. Numbers aren't ridiculously high like a M6 car would, but I think for all the variables it had against it to make power the power it did make is impressive. I'd bet it would make 390ft. lbs and 450rwhp in a M6 with my same motor set-up. Also the car did not have the ram-air/cold-air induction plumbed to the bumper it was straight off the throttle body. Ram-air picked it up 2-3mph at the track on motor so it had to of been worth something....10rwhp? 20rwhp maybe? I dunno, I know the numbers aren't really high, but I love the curve of this cam. I only hope I can broaden it more with the new cam.

I also think the stall was so violent before and flashed so high that the dyno couldn't really catch up till around 6500rpm. Number's may be skewed a bit, but they made tons of pulls to verify.

the 404rwp pull
http://youtu.be/nyWbCm0PkHY

Here are some older all motor videos to tide you guys over till I hopefully get some footage tonight. These passes were with the old strange shocks and old G5X3 cam. You can see just how well this car works in the traction department it has been extremely repeatable http://youtu.be/vPl6bPEBd-E

This was a 6.47 pass 1.33 60' 4.11 330' in very good -DA
http://youtu.be/oPJd2h_A1nU

This was a 6.43 pass 1.31 60' 4.09 330' this was the pass before my 1.29 60' 4.05 330' 6.38 660' pass. All I did from the first run of 6.47 to the end run of 6.38 was tighten the rear extension two clicks at a time and the front one click at a time on the rebound setting(extension) as the track was nice and sticky that day and the air was great. http://youtu.be/drlulxnS2lM

Last edited by Fbodyjunkie06; 06-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I just read all 4 pages. Beautiful car man. I will be watching this build. Im excited to see what the outcome is. Im kinda playing the same game but with a stock internal motor. Goin for the SI 6 speed record.

Have you thought about switching to a vic junior or super vic with a 4150 and nitrous outlet spray bar setup or maybe direct port? Just curious.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's damn good power out of a cam only setup with a big stall! The car def rolls out. You and Jon will have no problems getting it in the 5's, just make sure you have the right bottle pressure next time and a working gauge lol.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by armyboyatc
I just read all 4 pages. Beautiful car man. I will be watching this build. Im excited to see what the outcome is. Im kinda playing the same game but with a stock internal motor. Goin for the SI 6 speed record.

Have you thought about switching to a vic junior or super vic with a 4150 and nitrous outlet spray bar setup or maybe direct port? Just curious.
Sure I have. That will be a future modification for sure. It will 90% most likely be a Super Victor unless I get a deal on a Vic Jr.

I honestly wouldn't even mind putting a carb on it and having a MSD 7531 to control the ignition side of things, but I would most likely end up with a wilson or accufab throttle body on it.

I would like to hold off on that modification because as of right now I am tying together what the specs and valve events of my new camshaft are going to be. The cam will be based on the fast intakes rpm range, and a single plane's valve events will/would be different based on it's rpm range.

I also haven't really decided if and when this motor let's go or I decide to pull it out and replace it with a LS2 or LY6 will I use cathedral port or rectangle port heads as each would require their own different style intake manifold and I don't want to buy a single plane for a cathedral port head and switch to a rectangle port head and have to do it all again. I honestly am leaning towards a LS2 or LY6 with forged rods and pistons, arp main and head studs, and around 11.8:1-12.2:1 static compression and a set of nicely ported LS6 heads and 370 cubes. I think with a 300-350 shot and that set-up that I could quite possibly dip into the 5.20 range and try to compete in Ultra/Ultimate Street and the Modified Stock Valve angle Nationals.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Sure I have. That will be a future modification for sure. It will 90% most likely be a Super Victor unless I get a deal on a Vic Jr.

I honestly wouldn't even mind putting a carb on it and having a MSD 7531 to control the ignition side of things, but I would most likely end up with a wilson or accufab throttle body on it.

I would like to hold off on that modification because as of right now I am tying together what the specs and valve events of my new camshaft are going to be. The cam will be based on the fast intakes rpm range, and a single plane's valve events will/would be different based on it's rpm range.

I also haven't really decided if and when this motor let's go or I decide to pull it out and replace it with a LS2 or LY6 will I use cathedral port or rectangle port heads as each would require their own different style intake manifold and I don't want to buy a single plane for a cathedral port head and switch to a rectangle port head and have to do it all again. I honestly am leaning towards a LS2 or LY6 with forged rods and pistons, arp main and head studs, and around 11.8:1-12.2:1 static compression and a set of nicely ported LS6 heads and 370 cubes. I think with a 300-350 shot and that set-up that I could quite possibly dip into the 5.20 range and try to compete in Ultra/Ultimate Street and the Modified Stock Valve angle Nationals.
I got ya. Your car is doin work with the 92 and if youre gonna spec a cam for a fast style intake then yeah, def stay with it. I will tell you though, since I made the swap to a vic junior/4150, I will never go back.
Old 06-21-2012, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Thank's for the compliment it's no where near what I want it to be though. It's going to be so damn hot today I'm afraid this tune-up won't hook until the sun goes down off the track, but when it does I know our track will hold it. Just will have to see.

What rpm do you turn your motor with the vic jr.?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

no matter if you have a PG or Th400 they both have a 1:1 final gear ratio and your final drive will be the same. I would still put a 3.73 gear in it, just put in some bigger jets
Old 06-21-2012, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WheelsUp84z
no matter if you have a PG or Th400 they both have a 1:1 final gear ratio and your final drive will be the same. I would still put a 3.73 gear in it, just put in some bigger jets
Yea you're right on that!

What I have heard though and seen firsthand with a small tire like a 275 or a 28x10.50 you need to worry more about starting line ratio and let the finish line rpm fall where it may.

I've heard on big power cars anything over 7.5:1 will be hard to manage by either blowing the tires off or putting it on the bumper. With a 4.11 gear and 1.80 first I get a 7.39:1 ratio. I think with my car only making around 600-650 to the tire if I am lucky on a 82n jet that that 7.5:1 probably wouldn't apply to me too much and the 7.39:1 would be just perfect.

Now I think if I had a bigger cubic inch motor like a 427 or 440 or bigger a 3.90 or 3.73 would be better. I know nitrous like to be loaded up, but not lugged.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:05 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by second_2_none
That's damn good power out of a cam only setup with a big stall! The car def rolls out. You and Jon will have no problems getting it in the 5's, just make sure you have the right bottle pressure next time and a working gauge lol.
Thanks Avery!

BTW guys it's looking like the videos and passes are going to have to wait till Saturday or next Thursday.

It has been sprinkling at my house since 1:30 and it looks like more rain is on the way. Even though it looks like it's only going to rain at the track for 30 minutes, if it rains any amount of time over 10 minutes they always call it off.

Even though I live 10 minutes from the track, I had a very nasty scare at 70mph on drag radials in the rain in my old car and as of that night/experience I never drive a drag radial equipped car in the rain unless it's a Nitto 555R type drag radial. Surely not a hoosier drag radial and a bias ply front runner in the rain. It's not fun hitting water and hydroplaning instantly like someone picked the rear end of your car up and spun it around.

And yes I do drive my car to the track and back, it's a street car

Good news is I think my buddy is going to let me use his Nano set-up so I don't have to worry about bottle pressure at all. With that variable gone I would feel a lot better as I have learned not to trust one single gauge after what happened with my other gauge.

I now know why every nitrous racer who races a lot and has used nitrous for a long time has a big gauge in-line with their quarter turn valve and another gauge in the dash so if one goes out or ones read differently all the sudden you have another for reference.

With one gauge you really never know how right that gauge is.

Last edited by Fbodyjunkie06; 06-21-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Don't put a carb. On it. I'd really like to see it run in the 5's. Hope the track will hold for you. If they ever let me off work I'm going to run mine.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by IH8FORD
Don't put a carb. On it. I'd really like to see it run in the 5's. Hope the track will hold for you. If they ever let me off work I'm going to run mine.
Thanks Travis. I really want to see your car run. My offer still stands to tune the suspension for you when you get it out there. I think we can get it to repeat like my car with the right settings.

Don't think I'm gonna be able to run today as it's still sprinkling, maybe but it doesn't look like it.

Saturday most likely, but man is it going to be hot. They are having some big wheel car show on Saturday, but they are having test and tune all day till like 8 or 9 at night from 12 noon so I'd have all day to test. As long as they don't spray the crap out of the track while it is really hot and turn it into a slip and slide and just scrape it and very lightly spray it, might turn out not half bad.

Track prep has been pretty damn good lately.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
Thank's for the compliment it's no where near what I want it to be though. It's going to be so damn hot today I'm afraid this tune-up won't hook until the sun goes down off the track, but when it does I know our track will hold it. Just will have to see.

What rpm do you turn your motor with the vic jr.?
Well I shift at 6400. The vic junior never quits pulling. It takes some getting used to. With the LS6 intake I could feel the car kinda fall off and knew when to shift. Not the case with this intake, you gotta be on ur game and pay attention. lol

Check this out. Keep in mind that this is a 100% stock internal LS1.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

Well I had some trouble getting to the track after I made my last post I decided sprinkle or not I was going. It stopped raining, weather in motion map was clear as a bell and I said I'm going to do work today!

Well as I was getting my tools ready, my jack, drill, electrical stuff, race gas etc. normal routine for parts and tools to take with me(I learned a long time ago don't skimp on the amount of stuff you bring with you bring everything you think you will need because you will need it sooner or later).

I was almost done putting stuff together waiting for Scott(my6speedZ) to get here and my other buddies to call to say they were meeting me at the track(thanks for falling asleep THADD!!!!lol) and happened to walk past my car with the hood up and I thought about how hot it was going to be when I got there having to change the AR103's I putt around and cruise on when I have the bottle out of the car(projected tip 7 heat range plug) and remembered I only had 4 B8EFS plugs left and 3 B9EFS left and that I needed at least two sets of B8's and 5 B9's to make a set if I needed them if this aggressive tune-up looked too hot.

Went to O'Reilys like I always do 15 minutes from the house and pulled in at 4:55ish. Now I will say I am spoiled somewhat. The biggest O'reilys distribution warehouse in NC happens to be 2 miles from my house one exit down I-40. Since they never carry anything colder than BR7's in stock I always pay for my 1049's and 1085's there(b8's and b9's) get the invoice and drive back to the house almost to the warehouse, show them the invoice grab plugs and leave. My nitrous supplier is 4 miles down the road from the warehouse(6 miles total from my house) and I pay 4$ a pound which from what I gather is a pretty fair price. On top of that the gas station 1 mile from my house on the corner sells 110 for 7.49 a gallon. Then to top it off the track is 10 minutes 7 miles the other way lol I am very spoiled to live where I do in the heart of racing country(woo hoo!).

Well told the guy I needed what I needed and he said you'll have to order those, and I got a puzzled look because they always say you can go to the warehouse or order them and I said I can't go to the warehouse to get them? That's when he told me sorry sir they close at 5. It was 5:01. DAMMIT!!!

So I am going Saturday. But yea I'm damn lucky to live where I do. I really don't ever want to move!
Old 06-22-2012, 02:26 AM
TECH Resident

Happens like that sometime. Especially when you wait til the last minute to get ready for track day.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

hell i need to move to your town...i dont even got a speed shop here..pepboys is about the best i get..lol

Quick Reply: My Stock shortblock/cubic inch cam-only entry:) 56k beware