Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nxl Re-testing Complete

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 10:39 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nxl Re-testing Complete

Do to customer concerns I felt it necessary to retest and reevaluated the LS1 NXL system.
Ok guys here are the results from re-testing the NXL on our 98 Camaro. This complete system with acumulator was sent into us by a George Varga, GVZ06 directly off his car.
Our 98 car has Scoggin Dickey CNC heads, LS6 intake, Mild Cam 280-286, @50 224.228, VALVE LIFT .570-.560, C/L 114', Mufflex 4" Exhaust, Long Tube Headers, Custom LS1 edit tune, 93 octance fuel no additives, stock convertor and transmission, tires was at 35psi, bottle pressure 1000-1050 with full 10 lb. bottle per each pull, with and without accumulator on 18N, 9F tune up, NGk \TR6 plugs @ .035 gap, Cometic head gaskets, MSD wires, Stock Bottom End. Not sure on fuel pump, the car was purchased for dyno testing and we never have had to change it.
http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/ls1_nxl.htm

Guys I will be looking at the post from time to time if you need to get a hold of me please feel free to contact me at 888-463-2781.

Thank you
Ricky Stancik
General Manager
Old 08-20-2004, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

So essentially even though there are multiple people that have had problems with the system NX is saying everything is fine? And they arentgoing to do anything about it??

Wiring isnt an issue, if the system works it is wired correctly. When I get a 4mph and .4 second increase at the track with a 120shot and 3-4° of knock retard something is definately wrong and the only variable is the NXL kit.

Shocker NX did nothing to make the situation right. I am not suprised. After the problems I had originally with NX I figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt but now they have officially reinforced the fact that they dont give a ****. They have our money its our problem.

NX will never have my business again, NOS, TNT, ZEX, Cold Fusion would all get my vote over NX .

BTW if anyone wants a NXL kit mine is officially for sale only used 4 times and according to NX it works exactly like it is supposed to.

Mike
Old 08-20-2004, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike,
Slow down a minute.Ricky is posting this and looking for positive feed back.If they were not trying to resolve this issue he would not have came to this board to tackle the situation.On there test car they did not see the problems that were brought up.There were alot of people there to watch this system.Why do you have 3 to 4 degrees of knock retard? If your tune is not right this system will not work right.Have you had yours on the dyno to see what it is doing.Track times have many varables in them.Tractions,tune,etc.

Guys look at the dyno graph.It has a lean spike.I its only for a couple of 100 RPMs.This is common on some kits.I have also seen it on some plate kits.It has been brought to my attention that this is what a lot of people were freaking out over.If you stay into it you will see that it flatens out.If that spike were more than a few 100 rpms I would be concerned but its not.

I am a fraid that 1 or 2 problems have scared alot of people into thinking that they are also having a problem.

Read the info that has been provided.Double check your set up.See if you actually have a actual problem and give us some feed back.
Please keep calm.Ricky is not posting and running but we need positive come backs to get anyfurther on this.As of right now the car that was on the dyno made the HP and worked properly.They are not seeing the problem and its hard to fix something yyou dont see.
We were all hoping to have a problem but there wasnt one.Is there any difference in a 98 model that may play into this affect?

Keep it positive and lets work together with NX to have a positive out come.
Dave
Old 08-20-2004, 11:46 AM
FormerVendor

Mike,I sent you a pm.
Thanks
Dave
Old 08-20-2004, 11:49 AM
FormerVendor

Ok guys I know this is going to kill my pm box but I have a request.I know this is not my job but this is one of those things that set us seperate from other nitrous retailers.
Please read the info that has been provided.If you are still having problems please pm me.Tell me about your set up and what problems you are having.
This way I can deal with you on a one to one basis.This will help me better help the guys that need it.
Dave
Old 08-20-2004, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me say this, I am VERY skeptical about the statement that the jetting patterns are fine. I have not heard of 1 PERSON who has dynoed this kit who actually got 180 to the wheels with the 180 jetting patterns. Most people are running the 180 jets and are not getting 180RWHP worth of performance. MeanWS6 has had his on the dyno with competent tuners (Speed Inc.) and his car put down 415RWHP NA, and not even 500 on the gun with several attempts to tune with a 180 shot. GoldZ has a built iron block that put down 430+ RWHP NA and only 550 or so with the 180 jets on the gun - his wet kit with a 150 shot put down 20 more HP. His car had the kit installed and dyno tuned by a competent mechanic and tuner (previousy MMT I believe) with lots of experience installing NX kits.

I realize the kit is a "street kit" but that doesn't mean you low ball the actual outputs of what they are advertised at. 180 should be 180, and I find it a bit peculiar that NX in their own controlled environment with their own car are the only ones I have heard of that have put down the right numbers. That doesn't convince me nor I'm sure anyone else. This is/has been the biggest problem, but they are saying there is nothing wrong. I dunno, but it seems to me if they are right, at least a couple of guys should be getting the right numbers.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
So essentially even though there are multiple people that have had problems with the system NX is saying everything is fine? And they arentgoing to do anything about it??

Wiring isnt an issue, if the system works it is wired correctly. When I get a 4mph and .4 second increase at the track with a 120shot and 3-4° of knock retard something is definately wrong and the only variable is the NXL kit.

Shocker NX did nothing to make the situation right. I am not suprised. After the problems I had originally with NX I figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt but now they have officially reinforced the fact that they dont give a ****. They have our money its our problem.

NX will never have my business again, NOS, TNT, ZEX, Cold Fusion would all get my vote over NX .

BTW if anyone wants a NXL kit mine is officially for sale only used 4 times and according to NX it works exactly like it is supposed to.

Mike
All I saw is they tested that particular kit and it worked... Heck, when I first got mine, it worked like a champ -- I got all the power it was jetted for, and it worked flawlessly. Now, however, I'm having a couple issues that I'm confident will be solved. My biggest issue, and I've talked with Ricky about this one, is the fuel solenoids not opening. Neither one of us on the phone could figure out exactly what the cause was, and it needs some more evaluation. I can understand NX's response -- they got a kit that was reportedly having problems, put it on their Camaro, and it works.. What can they say? It could be another issue somewhere that's causing problems, a difference somewhere that isn't immediately apparent.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:01 PM
FormerVendor

I will be posting the revised Jet pattern that was introduced a while back and used for the testing they did.
Guys talking to Ricky we both knew people were going to give them a hard time not finding the problems with the HP side but there is nothing they can do if they dont see the problem.
Like I said instead of he said she said if YOU have a problem PM me so I can work first hand with you to see if we can find the problem.
Dave
Old 08-20-2004, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have got to be kidding me. No trouble found, then why do I and other NXL owners experience the SAME DAMN THING!!!
(from original post)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-oxide/196796-all-nxl-owners-inside-please.html

Problems identifed so far that need to be addressed:
1. Low HP ratings across all jet patterns (both on the dyno and track)
2. Too rich/too lean across all jet patterns
3. Rails popping off (I had custom brackets made)
4. Cross over line was too short (I had custom one made)
5. Lines from the nozzles to the rails are fragile as hell and break too easy. (can they go to a braided line for this?)

Not only have I wasted 1300 on this POS kit, but also all of the additional costs to "try" to get it to run right (again from original post)
1. The cross over line was too short, so we had to use braided fuel line $$$
2. The brackets would not hold (did not have the star washers) so we had to fab up custom brackets $$$ see number 3
3. Since the brackets would not hold they popped off while driving spraying fuel everywhere on my HOT engine. Towbill and back to the shop for custom brackets (see number 2) $$$
4. Ordered the accumulator $$$
5. Muliple dyno runs, swapping out jets because it was either too lean/rich ($$$ for the shipping and breaking the lines while changing the jets)
6. 90# of wasted nitrous while tuning it $$$
7. Breaking lines changing the jets - they break at the collar!!! $$$

As I stated in the post, I knew they would basically tell us to buff our nuts. Even after all the frustration, extra money spent, time, time, time, cussing at this kit - I kept a postive attitude about this situation, expecting it to be handled.
Two options were given to NX, they failed on the first, but how about the second option:

1) fix the lean/rich jetting issues within 30 days or 2) recall the LS1 NXL kit and provide us with a replacment nitrous kit of our choice (reasonably) such as the MAF kit or nozzle kit.

I am glad I kept all my receipts, PM's, printed out all the posts, etc surrounding this issue for my records!!!

If they wont trade us for another kit, like the NX MAF kit, complete, not refurbished garbage then I think its time to seek legal action (glad my fiance is in law school). Never in my life have I had to take it this far, but I have never been ripped off by such a large amount either. If it was only my car, I would understand and move on, but no, its multiple other kits as well.

I switched from NOS because of their crappy customer service, now I have 3 NX bottles, NXL kit, NX refill station/scale, stand, banners all over my garage, even sportin the NX license plate brackets on my winter beater. I dont want to switch to another brand, but its going in that direction.

So here are some questions for NX before I pull the trigger in small claims (and I am sure others will join):
1. NX will you trade in the NXL kit for a comparable kit? yes or no
2. if yes, NX will you pay for the re-install of the new kit? yes or no
3. NX will you refund all of the extra money spent to get this kit working properly yes or no

I am sure I know what the reponse will be, sucks to see a quality company like NX go down this path
Old 08-20-2004, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

First off I see HP graphs ans A/F graphs separately. I would like to see them on the same graph to comfirm the HP versus A/F ratio. Also what did the base tune look like and what was the A/F ratio then?

It seems NX has solved some of the problems:
1) Newly designed brackets
2) New longer crossover hose
3) Chamfers on the O-ring inlets

So is NX going to send us the fixed parts?

Now for the HP rating claim and A/F ratio. In my eyes this has always been the big problem. I know it is on my car. My car did not see the HP numbers and was very lean with their jetting.

So what is NX going to do about this? There is no way all of us are having the same problem. Even if they can not reproduce the problem, a good company will step up to the plate and do whatever it takes to make their customers happy. I guess we will see.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MeanWS6
You have got to be kidding me. No trouble found, then why do I and other NXL owners experience the SAME DAMN THING!!!
(from original post)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196796
Before this turns into a bandwaggon thread (that I'll lock, be warned) lets turn this back into something PRODUCTIVE.. Bitching and moaning won't fix anything, and I personally would like to see the remaining bugs worked out and fixed. I'll be more upset if folks just vent their frustrations and cause ME (and other members) headaches in getting our kits working right.

That said, not everyone has had the same issues you had, or on some there's already been a fix... For example:

1. Low HP ratings across all jet patterns (both on the dyno and track)
Didn't NX release a new jetting pattern? I still have my original jets, and it runs a bit rich. I have seen some folks request and get new jets that appear to work much better.

2. Too rich/too lean across all jet patterns
See #1

3. Rails popping off (I had custom brackets made)
I don't think anyone else has had this problem, and frankly I have no clue what you're talking about. I've had the NXL kit on my car w/o star washers for many months now, around 20k miles -- this is my daily driver. I've even had the rail sets on and off the car three times, and not once have I had them slip. Maybe you're installing them wrong or something.

4. Cross over line was too short (I had custom one made)
Again, seems to be an isolated issue, or might go hand-in-hand with #3? The brackets aren't symmetrical - one side is longer. You could have had them installed incorrectly, putting the rails in the wrong position. There's also the distinct possibility the line was cut a little too short -- a call to NX or your vendor probably would have fixed that one pretty quickly.

5. Lines from the nozzles to the rails are fragile as hell and break too easy. (can they go to a braided line for this?)
I broke one of the originals, and I agree -- they're fragile. I don't even know how or when I did it, but never the less NX sent me a replacement for free. I'm still running the same lines, and FWIW I haven't broken another to date -- even with having the rails off the car three times, and one jet change with the rails on the car. I'm just aware they're fragile, and I work accordingly.

Your other costs (the tow bill, the custom brackets, the custom crossover line, nitrous used while testing, etc.) are all your own costs IMHO. Modifying cars isn't a trip to Wal-Mart.. Some things require patience and testing.

Originally Posted by MeanWS6
If they wont trade us for another kit, like the NX MAF kit, complete, not refurbished garbage then I think its time to seek legal action (glad my fiance is in law school). Never in my life have I had to take it this far, but I have never been ripped off by such a large amount either. If it was only my car, I would understand and move on, but no, its multiple other kits as well.

I switched from NOS because of their crappy customer service, now I have 3 NX bottles, NXL kit, NX refill station/scale, stand, banners all over my garage, even sportin the NX license plate brackets on my winter beater. I dont want to switch to another brand, but its going in that direction.

So here are some questions for NX before I pull the trigger in small claims (and I am sure others will join):
1. NX will you trade in the NXL kit for a comparable kit? yes or no
2. if yes, NX will you pay for the re-install of the new kit? yes or no
3. NX will you refund all of the extra money spent to get this kit working properly yes or no

I am sure I know what the reponse will be, sucks to see a quality company like NX go down this path
I truly think you're jumping the gun here, and making a mountain out of a molehill. Its definitely not helping solve our problems, and indeed can only work to make the problems worse by pissing off the people who came here to try and help (Ricky @ NX, and Nitro Dave). I'm not trying to kiss their ***, but I'd also like to avoid seeing people tell them to **** off before they have the chance to help. Heck, I can understand the emotion, but it doesn't drive us towards a working kit. Give these guys a chance.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Revised jet pattern??? When did this come out? I heard some people trying new stuff to try and get it right but NEVER saw anything about revised jetting.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

running lean is the big issue,I question the lean spike as normal, I do not see that on my single nozzel kit,BTW that was my kit they used and they had the same spike i had,only they seemed to have stayed in it as i got out of it as soon as i saw it spike
Old 08-20-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree lets try to keep this post positive. We all agree there are some problems. But lets try to work this out with NX. I am not removing this kit from my car until I have exercised every possible solution.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dave
I dont think I am jumping the gun. We have all give NX ample time to test and post their results. His post said nothing about anything other than here is the results talk to you later.

They appear to have found nothing to substantiate the problems others are having but that doesnt mean the problems dont exist.

Again the jetting changes may fix my problem but I never heard that there was a defined change from NX and if there is then I never received any other jets or jetting chart to make the changes. The only jets I ever got from NX were the jets that werent included in my original kit.

If they send me their jets I will put them on the car and test them on the dyno and see what I find.

I have said all along that I like the NXL kit but there have been some many "half-assed" things involved with it from my initial encounter with their customer service to the HP/Lean problems that it makes it not worth it.

NX said they have made the changes to the Chamfers, crossover etc but those of us that have the kit already dont get those things we still have the "Beta" version of the product.

Finally I personally have had 2 fuel solenoids fail as well. One was leaking fuel passed the solenoid when it was not supposed to then the other (A replacement) would not "click" at all when I put 12V to it. That is pretty bad failure rate 2 out of 3 fuel solenoids that had ZERO nitrous runs on them!!

Mike
Old 08-20-2004, 02:04 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Guys I am going back to the dyno to get the pictures of each run with A/F, Power, and torque as I was asked. I will post these when I return,. I new some people may not agree with or believe the information when I posted it. That is all it is at this time information. I am working to try to find out why some cars do not make the power. Unfortunately I have not found the smoking gun yet. But I am not giving up on helping NX customers out. Bare with me and we will work this out.
Ricky
Old 08-20-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
I will be posting the revised Jet pattern that was introduced a while back and used for the testing they did.
I didn't realize there was new jetting patterns. All I have is the old stuff. Are there jets to go above 180? If there is, at least it would give people more options if they aren't seeing the power they should. Please post this up when you can. Thanks Dave.

NX said they have made the changes to the Chamfers, crossover etc but those of us that have the kit already dont get those things we still have the "Beta" version of the product.
I have to agree with this statement as well. Can I send my old rails back and have them give me the new chamfered ones and new brackets etc.?

Last edited by JF WS6; 08-20-2004 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:14 PM
FormerVendor

Here is the jet pattern used.Please check yours.
80 18N 9f
120 20N 10f
180 26N 12f
250 38N 14f

Dave
Old 08-20-2004, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not here to cause waves, just stating the facts. I am not here to **** folks off, Nitro Daves is the only one that got the ball rolling on this. He is A'OK in my book
after rereading the post, it does sound harsh, so my apologies, but I am just so frustrated over this and it wasnt good news posted by NX
This is supposed to be fun.
I give up, time to take my loss, learn from MY MISTAKE I guess. I will just go to the MAF kit, even if NX wont swap it out
NX-talk to you soon
btw, if you want my dynos, and videos where they shut it down cause it went too lean after Ricky sent my the "correct" jets let me know

I didnt do the install, Speed did it.

Last edited by MeanWS6; 08-20-2004 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:18 PM
On The Tree

My kit works perfectly! Rails don't pop off, power is feeling good (Track times later tonight!!), everything works perfect...... except the lag/lean spike. I didn't know about this when I bought the kit. It was the only full ls1 kit so I thought it was a good buy.

Only thing I wish was that the accumulator was either cheaper or came with the kit! I spent so much money on this kit just to find out I need like 200 bucks to get it to run right after I spent like 400+ on just bottle heater, pressure gauge, pressure sensors, purge, and other misc. stuff and then 1200+ on the kit.

How about you sell the accumulator for 100 or give it to me since it is supposed to be a semi complete running kit. Then I will be a happy customer!

Quick Reply: Nxl Re-testing Complete