Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions wanted on new solenoid type openers

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions wanted on new solenoid type openers

Cold Fusion, Dyno Tune and I think Edelbrock have new solenoid type openers similar to the NOS type but supposedly without the surging/not opening/not closing problems that seem to plague the NOS opener. Anyone try one of these yet? How are they working?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:20 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

I will let you know from that the surging is caused by a pressure drop and flow restriction caused by a solenoid type opener. The nitrous goes from a liquid to gas when it crosses over an orifice (solenoid).
Ricky

Originally Posted by 5 Liter Eater
Cold Fusion, Dyno Tune and I think Edelbrock have new solenoid type openers similar to the NOS type but supposedly without the surging/not opening/not closing problems that seem to plague the NOS opener. Anyone try one of these yet? How are they working?
Old 11-10-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The dyno tune one has a .250" orifice so I wouldn't imaging the phase change would be a problem.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:31 PM

It will phase change and cause a hp loss. any time you go from one size to another it phase changes. The HP losss may be min. but its still there.
Let me know always interested in differnt ways of thinking.
Ricky
The dyno tune one has a .250" orifice so I wouldn't imaging the phase change would be a problem.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I certainly appreciate the input, I'm just not sure it's a factor like it is with the NOS solenoid since the orifice is as large as the 4AN hose once the solenoid is open.

Anyone actually using one?
Old 11-11-2004, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

NX makes the best opener on the market. It actually opens the bottle.....no orfices, no restrictions. I've been using mine for three years without any problems of any kind. It was SEMAS's new product of the year a few years ago.

Last edited by Gold Z; 11-13-2004 at 10:59 AM. Reason: to correct spelling
Old 11-13-2004, 09:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
It will phase change and cause a hp loss. any time you go from one size to another it phase changes. The HP losss may be min. but its still there.
Let me know always interested in differnt ways of thinking.
Ricky
(disclamer! I hate the NOS opener. I have one and stopped using it. NX makes the only real opener IMHO)
you state that " any time you go from one size to another it phase changes"
I dont want to be a dick but if that was true than it would change to a gas when it went from the bottle (large opening no velocity) to the siphon tube (smaller opening greatly increased velocity) The solenoids are an even greater restriction. The single greatest factor that causes the liquid to change into a gas is the latent heat of evaporation. that takes place when the cold liquid absorbs the energy from the inlet air acting as a direct contact heat exchanger.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You are correct. The older style NOS with the smaller orifice could lead to a problem. Our solenoid with the .250 orifice will not cause an issue. We use this solenoid exclusively for this product.

http://www.dynotune.org/store/Script...?idproduct=108

Since the market requested this type of opener we designed it. Though as some mentioned the style that opens the bottles remains the favorite of most with Full Billet construction, Quick release head, no tools needed to remove the opener, Open access to all ports, Built in carry handle and a drive gear doubles as manual valve handle!

http://www.dynotune.org/store/Script...p?idproduct=16

Dean
Old 11-13-2004, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by koolrayz
(disclamer! I hate the NOS opener. I have one and stopped using it. NX makes the only real opener IMHO)
I dont want to be a dick but if that was true than it would change to a gas when it went from the bottle (large opening no velocity) to the siphon tube (smaller opening greatly increased velocity) The solenoids are an even greater restriction. The single greatest factor that causes the liquid to change into a gas is the latent heat of evaporation. that takes place when the cold liquid absorbs the energy from the inlet air acting as a direct contact heat exchanger.

A+ for converting opinion to FACTS....

The solenoid style opener that we sell as well as Dyno Tune is a great product for safety and does not cause any power loss. However, if you want a opener that actually turns the bottle handle that is a true bottle opener. Not knocking our own product. I like both styles and they both have there advantages and disadvantages. Cost is also a issue and for a lot of racers the solenoid style opener is a great way to get the job done at about 1/2 the cost.
Old 11-14-2004, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

Mike you get an A+ for not reading my disclaimer properly
I specificaly stated at the end of my comment about the bottle opener "IMHO" that means in my humble opinion.
I specificaly stated it was an opinion not a fact as you were so quick to incorrectly flame me about

Dude, I was agreeing with you?!??!!!! was not throwing rocks!!!
Old 11-14-2004, 01:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So back to the original question, sorta... of the solenoid types
are any judged to be solid, reliable and leak-free enough that
you could leave the bottle valve open all night, and not lose
more than an ounce of happiness if you didn't energize the
opener, against a leaky downstream system?

Or leave it open full time and still be a non-significant-leaker?
Old 11-14-2004, 07:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
So back to the original question, sorta... of the solenoid types
are any judged to be solid, reliable and leak-free enough that
you could leave the bottle valve open all night, and not lose
more than an ounce of happiness if you didn't energize the
opener, against a leaky downstream system?

Or leave it open full time and still be a non-significant-leaker?
It is a tight seal and is designed not to leak at all. It was designed for this purpose.

Dean
Old 11-15-2004, 07:00 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike I apologize. I see now that I misunderstood and am a complete a$$ I deleted my coments and hope you exept my apology
Now back to your regularly scheduled tech discussion
Old 11-15-2004, 09:10 AM

The solenoids are a restriction that is why the large orfice noid will flow more though any given jet size. The siphon tube is in liquid so there is no change at that point. It only changes when there is a point were the liquid can expand, ( I did not explain completly) We did some testing years back with the solenoid type with a large orifice ( for the time ) and saw a 12hp loss on the chassis dyno. 12hp is not that much when look at the big picture but if did loose power. If price is an issue the solenoid type will work just fine.
Ricky
Old 11-15-2004, 09:42 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bet that the 1" of 0.25"-orifice solenoid, is not much of a
factor compared to 12 feet of -4AN forward line (let alone
the front jet). But somebody running an "open hose" might
have to use the screw-type on a high-flow-valve bottle?

Originally Posted by NXRICKY
The solenoids are a restriction that is why the large orfice noid will flow more though any given jet size. The siphon tube is in liquid so there is no change at that point. It only changes when there is a point were the liquid can expand, ( I did not explain completly) We did some testing years back with the solenoid type with a large orifice ( for the time ) and saw a 12hp loss on the chassis dyno. 12hp is not that much when look at the big picture but if did loose power. If price is an issue the solenoid type will work just fine.
Ricky
Old 11-16-2004, 12:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I agree with Nitrous Mike, heck, I agree with everyone.
The NOS opener is only good for low Hp applications.
The Newer generation Solenoid openers are aswome and affordable.
Little to no hp loss unless you were looking for big hp! The 4N line is a massive restriction compared to the Solenoid with a wopping .250" orifice
For the folks with lots of cash, the top mounted openers are sweet.
What ever happened to the NOS top mounted opener? Anyone seen one?
Dan