Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug Gurus inside please

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Spark plug Gurus inside please

Would anyone run this plug on a nitrous application? Some lt1 guy is claiming it to be the lt1 nitrous plug.
Plug Link NGK IR-3686
Robert
Old 10-14-2006, 07:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You won't find them in MY car
Old 10-14-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
You won't find them in MY car
Yea, that's the advice I gave in the thread-c4 nitrous section at corvetteforum. Ellis please state the reason for not wanting to use them, as i will link this thread later to original thread.
Robert
Old 10-14-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not use it? Its a TR6 that is irridum. Almost all of us that spray use TR6's.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:10 PM
Restricted User

Actually they are a very good choice for nitrous plugs. As Brad said, its the Iridium version of the famed TR-6. I went about .003" larger gap with them compared to the TR-6 plugs, doesn't sounds like much but in the grand scheme of things, it is a difference. More versatile, NA and Nitrous, than the copper based 6, burns clean.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

What about the tiny electrode becoming a blow torch? Not much to dissapate heat, imo. Having any issues like detonation, high cyl temp, inadequate fuel octane, to much timing and other scenerios could cause this little electrode to become glowing red hot, no? Just because it has worked on certain cars with no issues, should we be claiming it's a good nitrous plug? Also, why do no nitrous manufacturers rec this plug over the standard NGK Tr6, see my point?
Robert
Old 10-14-2006, 10:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

All I can say is it is a TR6 that is irridum, it is made to the same specs that the copper on is. If it is to the same specs that the copper TR6 is then it should work fine. The irridum may be stronger than copper thus allowing it to be smaller and still not break or anything. Maybe Ill try em out next plug change.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by brad8266
All I can say is it is a TR6 that is irridum, it is made to the same specs that the copper on is. If it is to the same specs that the copper TR6 is then it should work fine. The irridum may be stronger than copper thus allowing it to be smaller and still not break or anything. Maybe Ill try em out next plug change.
It may be made to same specs, except compare the diameter of the center electrode, then you'll see the descrepancy. This has to do with shedding unwanted heat. If it gets hot, then it's an easy source of the dreaded detonation, just like extended tip plugs. Hey the stock ls1 plugs work fine for small hits, but are they a great nitrous plug, no. If I am wrong, someone please set me straight with facts that support these as a nitrous plug.
Robert
Old 10-14-2006, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I understand what you are saying, my point is that the smaller irridium tip may be able to dissipate heat just as good as the larger copper tip. If that is the case then they are equal to each other, its all based upon the metallic properties of the 2 metals.
Old 10-14-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
Yea, that's the advice I gave in the thread-c4 nitrous section at corvetteforum. Ellis please state the reason for not wanting to use them, as i will link this thread later to original thread.
Robert

Because I like my engine The BIGGEST benifit of most of the plugs they keep coming out with is you do not have to change them as often. Well anyone running juice needs to pull their head out of there *** and check their plugs on a regular basis. Plugs are a consumable item IMHO. If there is a problem a good plug will consume itself before hurting the engine. That is why Copper is a good plug material. The harder the material the more Damage it will do on the way out.

I myself won't spend extra money to be able to Flaunt a name part

I will run a good racing plug and be happy with what my Sig has to offer
Old 10-14-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Second Club

I understand what you are saying, my point is that the smaller irridium tip may be able to dissipate heat just as good as the larger copper tip. If that is the case then they are equal to each other, its all based upon the metallic properties of the 2 metals.

Actually it makes it worse
Old 10-14-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually it makes it worse
What makes what worse?? The smaller tip makes dissipation worse??
Old 10-15-2006, 12:31 AM
10 Second Club

What makes what worse?? The smaller tip makes dissipation worse??
It also over heats faster
Old 10-15-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

It also over heats faster
How do you know that? Do you have any proof? I am just trying to get an understanding of why they would have 2 plugs of the same specs but one will hear easier.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

How do you know that? Do you have any proof? I am just trying to get an understanding of why they would have 2 plugs of the same specs but one will hear easier.
Heat a 1/4 inch piece of bar stock, then heat a single 14 gauge wire with a propane torch, basic pyhisics. One more thing to point out on this plug, it's a projected tip plug, again not ideal for nitrous use. Go to NGK and you see that there rec plugs for nitrous do not have irdium electrode tips, nor do they have projected tips. this/these are the main stay of choosing a nitrous plug regarless of heat range, copper electrode tip and non projected tips are the answer.
Robert
Old 10-15-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Robert56@NitrousDirect
Heat a 1/4 inch piece of bar stock, then heat a single 14 gauge wire with a propane torch, basic pyhisics. One more thing to point out on this plug, it's a projected tip plug, again not ideal for nitrous use. Go to NGK and you see that there rec plugs for nitrous do not have irdium electrode tips, nor do they have projected tips. this/these are the main stay of choosing a nitrous plug regarless of heat range, copper electrode tip and non projected tips are the answer.
Robert
Ok so the issue is the projected tip? I get the propane torch thing, but we are talking about 2 different metals also. Take a piece of steel and a piece of tin and shoot it with a torch and one will melt quicker than the other.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:51 AM
10 Second Club

OK One more time. The harder Metals are ONLY for longer life. The only advantage is longer life. . . .N/A

Robert is right about the projected tip. I re-wrote my first reply so many times I forgot to include it

IF I get back from the track tomorrow (if things go well with a video of a 9 second pass in my DD) I will see if I can get a shot of a good reason to run good plugs
Old 10-15-2006, 09:23 AM
Restricted User

Brad, I agree with what your saying, as well as Robert...however for the occasional nitrous user the iridiums are a good plug. Would you want to run them in a larger shot, purpose (nitrous ingestion) built machine, no, but for the more versatile/stock type setup with smaller shots, great plug.
No matter what plug you run, checking them needs to be a religion, not a post-use diagnostic tool.

There are some ppl that dont believe in using non-resistor plugs like NGK....so many options. I prefer to stick with what I know will work, TR6/8 etc..
Old 10-15-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

yeah I would most likely stick with the regular tr6 anyway, they have worked great for me. TwoFast, got ya on the longer life thing, thats all i was owndering, I wasnt sure if the irridium had different dissapating properties than copper.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Resident

I just scanned through the thread, and I didnt see anyone bring up this point.. but it also says on the summit page that it requires less voltage.. = less heat, kinda. It requires less voltage to fire the spark than a standard tr6 because the iridium is a different chemical makeup (actually, 2 less free atoms in the valence.. breaking this down real far would make it a better conductor..)

Maybe Im analyzing this incorrectly, but isnt that exactly why platinum/iridium plugs are used/wanted in most vehicles (non n2o) because of the clean/even burn with an even spark output with lower voltage requirements. That would mean less fuel consumption because the plug is more efficient. Bring some real tech gurus in ehre and you may be able to get some better analyzation.

Maybe Im going the complete wrong direction.. lol

Quick Reply: Spark plug Gurus inside please