Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous?? HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Nitrous?? HELP!!

Hey guys, i need some questions answered about my new nitrous system. first off i just got the system this past week and i was reading the instructions and i think i came along a problem but im not really sure so i was just going to ask. In the instructions it says and shows to run a line to the mass air flow sensor, but i dont have a mass air flow sensor on my 1994 350. its not a vortec since it is a '94 model. its in my '94 chevy silverado. and i just need this ? answered bc i plan on installing it myself. so here are some ?'s
1. where do i run the line if i dont have a MAF sensor?
2. how do i spray the nitrous? i got a micro-switch, do i need to get another
switch to make it spray?
3. where can i get the nitrous bottle filled? its empty right now. i live in
Springhill, Louisiana.

any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. I am not sure where to run the line, is it a dry kit? I would call so you don't mess anything up
2. If the micro switch is the wot switch then when hooked up all you have to do is put the peddle to the floor and the switch will activate the nitrous.
3. Call local shops, or talk to people at the track or anyone running it.
Old 11-04-2006, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

is it a dry or wet kit?
Old 11-04-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

it is a wet kit. and also the microswitch is not the wot switch, so wat do i do about that? and also when i hit the nitrous can i shift thru gears or will it screw my tranny up?
Old 11-04-2006, 06:56 PM
Banned

a wet kit you can run the nozzle anywhere in front of the throttle body. There are vendors on here that have plates to mount between the throttle body and intake also. Seems odd that instructions for a wet kit would put it in front of the MAF. That would really foul things up. You sure it is a wet kit? has both gas and nos lines to the nozzle???

The WOT micro switch can be mounted on the t/b or pedal whichever is easier.
The system will need an "arm" switch. Usually a toggle switch but some guys still run the hand held push button.
You can spray through shifts (depending on the amount of nos you're using) but don't expect your (assuming auto here) tranny to last very long. Get a "window switch". That will automatically turn the system off, then back on at RPM you set.
Do you have a Fuel Pressure Safety Switch? goes inline with the wot switch.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

No i dont have a Fuel Pressure Safety Switch. and it says its a wet kit, its a 100 shot. and what is better between putting the injector plate or running it to the front of the throttle body? and where can i buy a wot switch?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Launching!

If it is a wet kit then you need to place the nozzle that sprays fuel and nitrous somewhere before your intake. I am not familiar with the layout of your engine but for example my nozzle is between my lid and intake.

So if it is not a wot switch is it a push button switch? I would use the wot switch, it will help prevent nitrous from puddling in your intake.

If you have a manual I would not spray thru shifts, it could backfire.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

can you explain more about what you mean when you say between your lid and the intake? like how would i put a nozzle between there? on its side or what?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Coonass350
No i dont have a Fuel Pressure Safety Switch. and it says its a wet kit, its a 100 shot. and what is better between putting the injector plate or running it to the front of the throttle body? and where can i buy a wot switch?
Some of the 'wet' guys like the plates because it disperses the shot more evenly. Personal preference but not mandatory. In front of tb is fine. just make sure the nozzles point INTO the motor directly. not up/down/backwards.

A wot switch is nothing more than a micro switch you can get at radio shack. It must be rated at 5A or more. It will be a Normally Open switch, meaning the contacts are open when not depressed. Most micro sw can be wired either way (NO/NC)

Your claim of "it says it's a wet kit" is a little confusing. A wet kit has a 'noid for the gas, gas hook up lines, nozzle with two hose hook ups, etc. A dry kit only has one solenoid for the nitrous.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Coonass350
can you explain more about what you mean when you say between your lid and the intake? like how would i put a nozzle between there? on its side or what?
The "lid" he is referring to is the plastic cover that goes over upright throttle bodies. Like the one that says "Vortec" on the vortec motors. It's usually a good place to put the injector nozzle because it is solid.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

oh okay..well i have a wet kit then because it has a line for N20 and Fuel.. it shows on the instructions that the Fuel line and the N20 line are connecting to the soft plume nozzle and then the nozzle is connecting about 6" in front of the mass air flow sensor..does this sound right??? and where can i get an injector plate?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

Well, 6" is a bit much to be in front of a Throttle Body. 2"-3" is plenty. Some have put it right in the intake tube AT the tb. The MAF is pretty much out of your equation so don't worry about it.

As for the "where to get" go up to the top of the page under "Quick Links" and go to "Sponsors". There are several to look at. Also, do a search and look at some of the pics posted up in the threads. They'll give you some good ideas on placement and hookups.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

ok thank you but one more question you may or maynot know..where can i send my bottle to have it filled? i dont know of anywhere.. i live in Springhill, Louisiana..
Old 11-04-2006, 11:01 PM
Banned

dunno. But start at the high performance auto parts places. They'll know.
And, when you take your bottle in to have it filled.. try to make it as cold as possible. You'll get more n2o in if you do. Also, bring a bathroom scale with you. Weigh your bottle right there in front of them BEFORE they fill it. Then weigh it AFTER they fill it. The label on the front will tell you how much it should weigh. You don't want to pay for juice you aint getting.
good luck.. happy spraying.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

lol i heard that and thanks man..if i need anymore help ill be sure to hit ya up..ttyl..wait sorry one more thing lol when i hit the nitrous when im racing..what will it be like? will the 100 shot make me spin in 2nd gear? and what does it sound like or does it make a sound?
Old 11-05-2006, 11:27 AM
Restricted User

Since it is a new bottle, never been filled before. I would ask the shop filling it to inspect the siphon tube and then vacuum out the bottle before filling it. You can check the tube yourself, using a BFW loosen the valve from the bottle, pull the valve and siphon tube out, make sure the bottle is clean inside, and the end of the siphon should be oriented in the same direction as the line hook-up. If all is well, put valve back in and tighten assembly. Then ask the shop to vacuum it out, to help remove the moisture from an empty bottle.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

ok i will do that..how much does it usually cost to have a bottle filled?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

A wet kit needs to have the nozzle after the MAF, preferably in the bellow tube.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Banned

It will NOT be like The Fast n Furious where it puts you in the seat with 6 Gs. LOL. That is so stupid looking. It will be an impressive amount of grunt. As for spinning tires.. that depends on your car. Hopefully you don't shoot at that low of RPM. Rule of thumb is.. on at 3000.
N2O prices seem to vary quite a bit. I paid $70 for 15 lbs. ooch. Needless to say, I'm very picky about who/what I race.

Brad.. that's what I was telling him. Any idea why his instructions would say to mount it before a MAF? That's seems stupid.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Brad.. that's what I was telling him. Any idea why his instructions would say to mount it before a MAF? That's seems stupid.
Well I just noticed that his car is MAFless, so it better be a wet kit, and the nozzle can go anywhere before the throttlebody.