Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous illegal for street car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 04:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous illegal for street car?

as topic states.Local authorities dont exactly like me and i wont exactly be able to hide my direct port kit. just making sure i cant get my car impounded or a ticket for having it
Old 08-01-2007, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

Depends on where you're at....In Va you can have the bottle.....just cant have the line hooked up and no N2O in the line (this may have changed with those new shitty laws....i know atleast the fine went up)
Old 08-01-2007, 04:16 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RamjamWS6
Depends on where you're at....In Va you can have the bottle.....just cant have the line hooked up and no N2O in the line (this may have changed with those new shitty laws....i know atleast the fine went up)
Smae applies in Illinois I think..
Old 08-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Launching!

Yea I was curious about this too. Especially considering I live in Illinois....where everything is against the law haha
Old 08-01-2007, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

in florida you can have it in the car and hooked up because theres sulfar in it. not sure about PA or anywhere else
Old 08-01-2007, 08:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GDM Z28
in florida you can have it in the car and hooked up because theres sulfar in it. not sure about PA or anywhere else
I was under the impression in FL you can have it in a car hooked up (assuming you are going to or from an event/show), but the bottle itself is not allowed to be open on the street.

Regardless, you're allowed to have a nitrous system on your vehicle on the street, a cop can't give you a ticket just for finding solenoids under the hood. He can, however, give you a hassle if he/she is able to see the bottle in the open, or if the valve is open.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

i will be doing a remote bottle openor so i wont have to worry about bottle being open. cops by my are just plain ********. they didnt hate me when i had a 3000$ honda but when i bought a f-body thats nicer then their mustangs. the hate came in and now i get tickets for anything and everything
Old 08-01-2007, 03:01 PM
9 Second Club

In Indiana I know its not illegal to have a bottle in the car and hooked up. I had a Indiana state trooper stop me and we got to talking about how fast my car would run on the bottle. He was really cool and did not say a word about the nitrous being illegal.
Old 08-01-2007, 04:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone know about texas? i have no clue just leave it in ther hooked up al lthe time
Old 08-01-2007, 04:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to check with your local state laws. I remember reading a guys post a while back where he was charged with carring a controlled substance with nitrous in the car.
Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 05:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
You need to check with your local state laws. I remember reading a guys post a while back where he was charged with carring a controlled substance with nitrous in the car.
Dave

Wow thats crazy....but I have always been told that medical nitrous is completly different than performance, automotive nitrous? Weird
Old 08-01-2007, 05:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by suburbanlife866
Yea I was curious about this too. Especially considering I live in Illinois....where everything is against the law haha
I know a couple of guys were busted with medical grade nitrous around here not long ago
my g/f freaked and was all you better take that out of your car
had the nice white NX bottle mounted under the hatch in plain view and never had a cop say a word (even the pr!ck state trooper who threatened to write me a ticket for my front bumper being more than 3" lower than my rear . . . I asked him to show me where to measure my front bumper at)

so I am curious for sure if IL is illegal or not
Old 08-01-2007, 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cops make up the law when they want. Dont be fooled they are the law! However my bottle sits between the seats. A good friend of mine spent a saturday in Jail for having a lifted truck here in Carroll County MD.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhyHelloOfficer
I was under the impression in FL you can have it in a car hooked up (assuming you are going to or from an event/show), but the bottle itself is not allowed to be open on the street.

Regardless, you're allowed to have a nitrous system on your vehicle on the street, a cop can't give you a ticket just for finding solenoids under the hood. He can, however, give you a hassle if he/she is able to see the bottle in the open, or if the valve is open.
correct to an extent. its legal to have, illegal to be hooked up on the street. as in there better not be a line attached to the bottle. cant say i've ever heard of this enforced though.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daniel6718
anyone know about texas? i have no clue just leave it in ther hooked up al lthe time

Im pretty sure if the line is hooked to the bottle you can get a ticket for it, but no cops ever gave me **** about it.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fast
I know a couple of guys were busted with medical grade nitrous around here not long ago
my g/f freaked and was all you better take that out of your car
had the nice white NX bottle mounted under the hatch in plain view and never had a cop say a word (even the pr!ck state trooper who threatened to write me a ticket for my front bumper being more than 3" lower than my rear . . . I asked him to show me where to measure my front bumper at)

so I am curious for sure if IL is illegal or not

Well hey thats good for me then haha.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Dave
i remember that one. he had to attend substance abuse classes as well.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave
Wow
Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Default that is the new one

Originally Posted by RamjamWS6
that is ther new law there used to not be any laws against n20.....it says you cant have a functional n2o kit on the car...

Im hoping the line being disconnected is non functional enough....
Old 08-01-2007, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i can never get a straight answer for california.

i found this article
http://www.pe.com/localnews/transpor...3.107e9a2.html

at the end
After ticketing the speeder, the two officers head to a nearby street racing hot spot. Although it is empty, they soon notice a silver 1998 Ford Mustang without license plates. To Bozyk and King, that signals a car that may be tricked out for street racing.

The driver allows them to inspect under the hood. A tank of performance-enhancing nitrous oxide gas is connected to the intake manifold.

They confiscate the tank and write the driver a ticket. The ticket will refer the driver to the Bureau of Automotive Repair, because such alterations are against state emissions standards, Bozyk said.
so they confiscate the tank? i didn't realize they could do that...

Quick Reply: nitrous illegal for street car?