Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous causing my car to hit the rev limiter too soon?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007 | 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Default Nitrous causing my car to hit the rev limiter too soon?

I went to the track Friday with the nitrous installed for the first time, and made just a motor pass the first time to feel the car out with my new cam (torquer 3). Everything was fine on the motor pass, didn't hit the rev limiter. The second pass I sprayed it and it hit the rev limiter in low gear, and did the same for the third pass as well. My question is do I need to raise my rev limiter or is something else going on? The trans. was not slipping so I know it didn't do it because of that and the car runs great. I have a NX dry kit w/ 100 jets, and a MSD digital window switch set to kick in at 3000 rpm. My rev limiter is set at 6700 rpm, and I shifted at 5500 rpm so I wouldn't hit the rev limiter because I knew that when the nitrous kicked in the car would rpm even faster. It's not staying on the rev limiter for a sustained period of time either, it just hits it for a split second and then it shifts. Should I have the rev limiter raised or is something else going on? BTW it ran a 11.67 while hitting the rev limiter in low and second, so I'm hoping for a low 11 when this problem is corrected. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Old 09-09-2007 | 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

nitrous will cause you to rev up quicker. You can't run a max effort NA gear and think your going to spray and not have issues. Raise your limiter for now but you may need a gear change to get the most out of it or take the easy way out and run a taller tire. Change your sig
Old 09-15-2007 | 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

my bro has the same prob. but his is stock internals and gear with the auto. and it will pass the rev limiter in the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts. still havent fixed the problem because its so minute but figuring its stock and factory pcm settings as well. then again maybe a tune and rev limiting raising it might correct the problem
Old 09-16-2007 | 12:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WFOSS
I went to the track Friday with the nitrous installed for the first time, and made just a motor pass the first time to feel the car out with my new cam (torquer 3). Everything was fine on the motor pass, didn't hit the rev limiter. The second pass I sprayed it and it hit the rev limiter in low gear, and did the same for the third pass as well. My question is do I need to raise my rev limiter or is something else going on? The trans. was not slipping so I know it didn't do it because of that and the car runs great. I have a NX dry kit w/ 100 jets, and a MSD digital window switch set to kick in at 3000 rpm. My rev limiter is set at 6700 rpm, and I shifted at 5500 rpm so I wouldn't hit the rev limiter because I knew that when the nitrous kicked in the car would rpm even faster. It's not staying on the rev limiter for a sustained period of time either, it just hits it for a split second and then it shifts. Should I have the rev limiter raised or is something else going on? BTW it ran a 11.67 while hitting the rev limiter in low and second, so I'm hoping for a low 11 when this problem is corrected. Thanks in advance for your help and support.
Where is your nozzle at? If its too close the the Maf it will freeze it up and not shift right. Also, is your car an auto? If so why are you shifting it? The computer will do a much better job, especially if you have a stock tach.
Old 09-16-2007 | 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JETBLACK
Where is your nozzle at? If its too close the the Maf it will freeze it up and not shift right. Also, is your car an auto? If so why are you shifting it? The computer will do a much better job, especially if you have a stock tach.
MAFs do not freeze up, just an old wive's tale. how in the world would the guys up in Alaska be able to drive a late model EFI car if that was the case.

What is your high rpm shut off on your WS?
Robert
Old 09-17-2007 | 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

sorry to hijack but my car bounced rev limiter on the 2-3 gear shift at the trrack aswell. doesnt do it on the street. but would bounce for a bit then shift.??? no nitrous though
Old 09-17-2007 | 06:30 PM
12 Second Club

my high rpm on my window switch is set at 6300 rpm, so i figured it was o.k. do i need to do some adjusting on it? and i'm running a MT 28 x 10.5 so i know that the tire is tall enough.
Old 09-17-2007 | 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Default like mine

Originally Posted by Robert56
MAFs do not freeze up, just an old wive's tale. how in the world would the guys up in Alaska be able to drive a late model EFI car if that was the case.

Robert
I think he meant the screen...i hope so anyway....

mines doin the same thing....im gonna raise the revlimiter a couple hundred rpms hopefully it fixes it.....i think alot of my problem is my verter.....theres a vid in my sig you can here it bump the 6500 limiter on both shifts.....

and i think the 5500 was a miss tipe id say he meant 6500...
Old 09-18-2007 | 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you car is a A4 it sounds to me like your tranny is "flairing" between shifts first try leaving it in D (not 3rd) for some reason that worked for mine seems to shift a little sooner and if that dont work try getting a window switch and setting it to cut off a few hundred rpms before the shift
Old 09-18-2007 | 04:19 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56

Robert

That is true. -25 sometimes here in the winter and the cars run fine.

Quick Reply: Nitrous causing my car to hit the rev limiter too soon?