Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Orygun guys?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinponcho73
I wouldn't have gone with such a long stroke, it makes the piston drop to low below the bottom of the cylinder. After pulling my last 408 apart I can see where the wear marks were. Also I don't think this really matters much but the piston wrist pin goes above the top ringland or the ringland goes below the wrist pin which ever way you look at it.
When you go to the longer stroke the rings and pin get moved if the builder knows what he is doing.

Nothing wrong with the longer stroke its mostly the builders who dont do them correctly that give them a bad name. Yes they eat a little more oil but thats small change compared to the power increase and we're working with a small block so in order to get cubes you have to sacrifice something.

BUT there is a limit to it... iI wouldnt run a 4.250 stroke in a regular deck Lsx engine

My car has a cam and heads and intake ... and some cubic inches
Old 10-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 78_elky
Hey guys I'm working on an LQ4 iron block and my game plan is to use an LS3 intake and heads. From what I've read the compression will only be ~9.6:1. The motor has 170K miles on it and I've not taken the stock heads off yet but inside the valve covers looks good as does the oil in the pan. If I don't see anything horrible when I pull the heads does it make sense to swap the pistons out or bore it to a 408? What would you guys do? Its going in my El Camino eventually. Feel free to give any advice on this combo I'm not as familiar with LSxs as I am with older SBCs.
Jess
bigger is better but as the others have stated it comes down to budget.. 450 fwhp is relatively easy to make.. if you can swing the money it would be worth it. I have a whole conversion ready to go.. was slated for my 79 z28 but winter is here and I'm out of time and space so I am trying to sell the car as a roller... the conversion stuff would then be for sale... 4l60e trans from a 2001 trans am and a new 3200 stall converter, wiring harness from techrods and an ecu, ls6 intake and tb...... you use your exisitng trans mount and modify it.. I also have a 4.8 w.32k on it from a friends truck.. I'd sell the whle conversion stuff for 1500.. decent enough deal it would cost over 2k for it all
Old 10-28-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by smokinponcho73
I wouldn't have gone with such a long stroke, it makes the piston drop to low below the bottom of the cylinder. After pulling my last 408 apart I can see where the wear marks were. Also I don't think this really matters much but the piston wrist pin goes above the top ringland or the ringland goes below the wrist pin which ever way you look at it.
Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
I second what Brandon said about the long stroke on a 6.0 block. Every 4.1 stroke I've seen /heard about has scuffing/oil control issues early in its lifespan. Hopefully Spectres will hold up though.

Mike

Originally Posted by Ellesone
When you go to the longer stroke the rings and pin get moved if the builder knows what he is doing.

Nothing wrong with the longer stroke its mostly the builders who dont do them correctly that give them a bad name. Yes they eat a little more oil but thats small change compared to the power increase and we're working with a small block so in order to get cubes you have to sacrifice something.
sleeve length on 6.0 iron, 6.2 LS3 and LSX std deck block are all 5.5". People run 4.100" stroke in all of them. I believe it uses a shorter piston as well. I talked to AES alot before going with this setup. specially since i have no plans on adding boost or nitrous.

Iv got around 2000 miles on it. checked the oil constantly breaking it in as well as a couple oil changes.

and fwiw, honda vtec engines have oil consumption as well. Im not too worried since its strictly a summer car, and its not like i beat the **** out of it.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A shorter piston skirt will help with scuffing but the oil control will likely still be an issue. Most of the 6.0 cylinder lengths I've measured are all 5.41" to 5.43". The 6.0 liter blocks have the shortest cylinder bore length of all the LS engine family.

Hopefully your engines longevity will not suffer.

Mike
Old 10-29-2012, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Spectre86
Crank and rods will be fine. pistons will be fine as well, if your worried about the compression, you can always mill the heads.ptv is fine as long as your not running a huge cam.

Id at least to bearings and rod bolts at the minium. Hell I would do that even the engine only had 100k on it since you dont know the condition and its out of the car already. why roll the dice and have to pull it out months later?

yes the ls3 heads will fit on a lq4/lq9. Im running them on my lq9 427 stroker.

btw, it would probably be alot easier if you switched to a carb setup.
I like the sound of that I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible, because I know building engines can get out of hand fast. I also know I'm going to have a good base if I want to do something crazy later but around 400hp will be good in my heavy el camino.

I really want to move away from a carburetor, its not that I can't tune them (I can). I would just rather have better fuel delivery for better gas mileage and maybe I can get it to pass DEQ again. Stupid OR, they need to adopt rolling emission requirements

Originally Posted by Ellesone
bigger is better but as the others have stated it comes down to budget.. 450 fwhp is relatively easy to make.. if you can swing the money it would be worth it. I have a whole conversion ready to go.. was slated for my 79 z28 but winter is here and I'm out of time and space so I am trying to sell the car as a roller... the conversion stuff would then be for sale... 4l60e trans from a 2001 trans am and a new 3200 stall converter, wiring harness from techrods and an ecu, ls6 intake and tb...... you use your exisitng trans mount and modify it.. I also have a 4.8 w.32k on it from a friends truck.. I'd sell the whle conversion stuff for 1500.. decent enough deal it would cost over 2k for it all

Besides the 4l60 I'd be interested in some of it, the block I got has the "longer" crank so it needs either an old trans like a turbo 350/400 or a 4l80e. I only got it because the engine was cheap and the turbo 350 in my car I've had rebuilt with good parts, so I may be using it before I get an overdrive trans.

Jess
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the sound of that I'm trying to keep the costs down as much as possible, because I know building engines can get out of hand fast. I also know I'm going to have a good base if I want to do something crazy later but around 400hp will be good in my heavy el camino.

I really want to move away from a carburetor, its not that I can't tune them (I can). I would just rather have better fuel delivery for better gas mileage and maybe I can get it to pass DEQ again. Stupid OR, they need to adopt rolling emission requirements
400hp out of a lq9 is easy. I think they make around 345-350 stock. all the basic bolt ons with ls3 heads should definitely break 400hp. There was a huge thread pat g made a few years ago that with a mild cam, it made mid 400s at the wheels. arp rod bolts are only $100 and its easy since the engine is out.

I actually had a ls2 shortblock that I was gonna swap in with ls3 heads before i sold it and went with a 427

as far as a carburetor and emissions, arent you exempt with that car since its an el camino? Didnt they come with a carb? down in my area of oregon, we dont have deq/emissions.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Spectre86
400hp out of a lq9 is easy. I think they make around 345-350 stock. all the basic bolt ons with ls3 heads should definitely break 400hp. There was a huge thread pat g made a few years ago that with a mild cam, it made mid 400s at the wheels. arp rod bolts are only $100 and its easy since the engine is out.

I actually had a ls2 shortblock that I was gonna swap in with ls3 heads before i sold it and went with a 427

as far as a carburetor and emissions, arent you exempt with that car since its an el camino? Didnt they come with a carb? down in my area of oregon, we dont have deq/emissions.
It has a carb, but it has to pass a sniff test. They put an emissions probe in both tail pipes and test for unburned hydrocarbons at idle. This was my first car and I really want to build a fast El Camino that I can take out and cruise or take on road trips. I used it as my daily driver with the setup it has now but it is slow, loud, and gets horrible gas mileage. If you can believe it, this was my only car for 9 years!

I know I want to have overdrive, a better rear gear ratio and more power so it just makes more sense to do all this stuff at once instead of doing things one piece at a time and spending money redoing stuff as you upgrade or change things. At least I've talked myself into thinking it makes sense
Jess
Old 10-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Back in black

tried to post a pic of the car but it wont work
Old 10-31-2012, 01:08 AM
On The Tree

Ahg, dang TA headlights. Where's the best place to find the 6 wire connector for the lights and the motor. They are connected in tandem. My stock connector was full of water and all green. I cleaned it all as best I could but looks like some prongs broke off in dis-assembly.
I did however get a good look around the whole system, now I'm almost a master. Some knucklehead at some point prior to me, put in the motor bolts on the passenger side "wrong side out". The bolt side ( nice little shaved head ) should be facing the linkage side. It was backward and the linkage was binding against the bolts.
Well, I fixed that right away, ( all 2 of them 0. Good for a back ache..............Anywhoz, autozone again? That's a **** ton of soldering i'm gonna have there. Never had these dang light issues ever, until this car. Guess they skipped the die electric grease that day at work.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CopMagnet
Ahg, dang TA headlights. Where's the best place to find the 6 wire connector for the lights and the motor. They are connected in tandem. My stock connector was full of water and all green. I cleaned it all as best I could but looks like some prongs broke off in dis-assembly.
I did however get a good look around the whole system, now I'm almost a master. Some knucklehead at some point prior to me, put in the motor bolts on the passenger side "wrong side out". The bolt side ( nice little shaved head ) should be facing the linkage side. It was backward and the linkage was binding against the bolts.
Well, I fixed that right away, ( all 2 of them 0. Good for a back ache..............Anywhoz, autozone again? That's a **** ton of soldering i'm gonna have there. Never had these dang light issues ever, until this car. Guess they skipped the die electric grease that day at work.
Yeah I don't know what it is with my Camaro but its either the weather here or the way GM did something but it seemed to melt a socket every 6 months in the front turn signals. I finally disabled the DRL circuit and its been a lot better now. Never had problems like this with my old cars
Old 11-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Teching In

Yeah I don't know what it is with my Camaro but its either the weather here or the way GM did something but it seemed to melt a socket every 6 months in the front turn signals. I finally disabled the DRL circuit and its been a lot better now. Never had problems like this with my old cars
My passenger rear tail light for whatever reason seems to do this too. Replaced it 3 times over the past 2 years. It's a driver though and maybe the poor weather plays a roll.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:24 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GreatV8
My passenger rear tail light for whatever reason seems to do this too. Replaced it 3 times over the past 2 years. It's a driver though and maybe the poor weather plays a roll.
It could be moisture getting into the light assembly. Especially if its the same assembly. My GTI goes through tail light lamps frequently due to moisture.

Mike
Old 11-03-2012, 11:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GreatV8
My car's a driver too, I think its moisture, my after market lenses tended to leak and they went through the bulbs faster. I had pretty good luck with some fancy 48 LED bulbs but they were not bright enough to see the difference between the park and turn signal so I went back to the regular ones.
Jess
Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Haha, I know. Issues always come with the rain. **** hit the fan when the rain came back. The sockets and connectors I have replaced are "gobbed" with die- electric grease :o. I don't think I'll have an issue with them for quite sometime. Hope the build works out Jess. I am not an expert on internal engine delios, so I haven't chimed in. Can't wait to see T-Moneys LQ,,,and yours. Pretty badass engines they are.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have any of you Washington guys sat in front of your local police station and fired up a fat doobie now that marijuana is legal?
Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Have any of you Washington guys sat in front of your local police station and fired up a fat doobie now that marijuana is legal?
If not, we might as well pick up the habit. Everyone's gonna be stoned, unemployed and drawing wellfare for the next four years...... Cuz that's the way he wants it,,, everyone to be government dependent. Just think, you can cash your unemployment check, go buy some pot, and then when you get the munchies you can use your EBT card to get Dorritos. What a great future we have to look forward to.

If feel sick to my stomach now....

Mike
Old 11-07-2012, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
If not, we might as well pick up the habit. Everyone's gonna be stoned, unemployed and drawing wellfare for the next four years...... Cuz that's the way he wants it,,, everyone to be government dependent. Just think, you can cash your unemployment check, go buy some pot, and then when you get the munchies you can use your EBT card to get Dorritos. What a great future we have to look forward to.

If feel sick to my stomach now....

Mike
Yeah man I was shocked to hear about this. I'm curious to see how this all plays out. Hopefully for the best.....but I have my doubts.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Really? Politics should not be posted on a car site.
We would of been fucked eaither way.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Really? Politics should not be posted on a car site.
We would of been fucked eaither way.
Lol... you should check out yellowbullet. There are some seriously pissed off hombres over there.

Mike
Old 11-07-2012, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

What the hell is yellowbullet?
I just hate the government and would just like this site to stay politic free before it just blows up like some conversersation do. You know what I mean. Not trying to **** anyone off.

Quick Reply: Orygun guys?