Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Fabbed Up A New 4" Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Fabbed Up A New 4" Exhaust System

Here's a few pics of the new exhaust system I fabbed up this last week. I really like the way it sounds compared to the raspy true-duals I had. For now I ended up leaving the 3" bullets installed in the Y-pipe portion to help tame the sound of it but I might remove those later on. Don't have a sound clip yet but I'll try to get one after I fix the front crank seal leak.

Mocking up the 4" mandrel bends/muffler and tacking them in place. Getting that 4" pipe to fit over the axle was very tuff. It's got less than 3/8" clearance in every direction. I had to make the exhaust hangers fit very snug to prevent it from rocking/rattling against the car. Also installed a band clamp joint above the axle for easy removal. I was also very surprised how light weight this system is compared to a stock exhaust. All of the SLP catbacks are stainless steel which is very heavy. The Dynatech muffler is very light weight also..... I might end up changing the rear exhaust tip. It was hard to tell how far is was hanging down past the rear bumper when the car was in the air. I might end up tucking it up further into the bumper for more of a stealth look..... ? What do you guys think?

Mike
Old 09-11-2010, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks good mike. So it's just a single pipe coming off the Y all the way back to the tip? So what I'm saying is you have one exhaust tip.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there anything you can't do? Looks really nice. Can't wait to hear a sound clip.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wow that looks really good Mike. Is it any quiter? I know my car with just 3" is to loud atleast after 10. Those welds look like you must have spent a ton of time on it.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Question

Originally Posted by tmoney223
That looks good mike. So it's just a single pipe coming off the Y all the way back to the tip? So what I'm saying is you have one exhaust tip.
Thanks man, and yes,,, just one 4" tip. It's basically just like a Mufflex catback except this one has a better sounding muffler IMO.

Originally Posted by *02WS6TURK*
Is there anything you can't do? Looks really nice. Can't wait to hear a sound clip.
Thanks man. And to answer your question, I really don't like doing electrical work, or body/paint work.

Originally Posted by smokinponcho73
Wow that looks really good Mike. Is it any quiter? I know my car with just 3" is to loud atleast after 10. Those welds look like you must have spent a ton of time on it.
Thanks Brandon, and it's MUCH quieter than the true-dual system with the bullets. I don't think I'll be able run past 10pm at PIR still, but at least they'll let me on the track now. As for the welds, I've been welding since I was 16 so it's not a big deal to me. I had to stitch weld everything because if I had a big fat weld, it probably would have rubbed on the body of the car somewhere, that's how tight the 4" exhaust fit to the body.

Mike
Old 09-11-2010, 06:29 PM
hashtagBMW

What did that run you for parts, Mike?

And it looks fantastic, really nice job mate.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mikey 97Z M6
Here's a few pics of the new exhaust system I fabbed up this last week. I really like the way it sounds compared to the raspy true-duals I had. For now I ended up leaving the 3" bullets installed in the Y-pipe portion to help tame the sound of it but I might remove those later on. Don't have a sound clip yet but I'll try to get one after I fix the front crank seal leak.

Mocking up the 4" mandrel bends/muffler and tacking them in place. Getting that 4" pipe to fit over the axle was very tuff. It's got less than 3/8" clearance in every direction. I had to make the exhaust hangers fit very snug to prevent it from rocking/rattling against the car. Also installed a band clamp joint above the axle for easy removal. I was also very surprised how light weight this system is compared to a stock exhaust. All of the SLP catbacks are stainless steel which is very heavy. The Dynatech muffler is very light weight also..... I might end up changing the rear exhaust tip. It was hard to tell how far is was hanging down past the rear bumper when the car was in the air. I might end up tucking it up further into the bumper for more of a stealth look..... ? What do you guys think?

Mike
man that looks good..im in the process of doing the same thing but i got stopped at the downpipe off my turbo where did u get the mandral bends from?

i got held up here
Attached Thumbnails Fabbed Up A New 4" Exhaust System-wheelie-004.jpg  
Old 09-11-2010, 09:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CMRACING_STROKER.B
man that looks good..im in the process of doing the same thing but i got stopped at the downpipe off my turbo where did u get the mandral bends from?

i got held up here
Originally Posted by Speed Density
What did that run you for parts, Mike?

And it looks fantastic, really nice job mate.
Thanks guys. I got the mandrel bends from a local trucking supply house called Anderson Brothers (Portland, OR). They had a large supply of mandrel bends ranging from 3", 3.5", 4" and even 5" stuff. I got all the bends and 4' of straight pipe for under 180.00. The muffler was around 110.00/shipped from Summit.

Mike
Old 09-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mikey 97z m6
thanks guys. I got the mandrel bends from a local trucking supply house called anderson brothers (portland, or). They had a large supply of mandrel bends ranging from 3", 3.5", 4" and even 5" stuff. I got all the bends and 4' of straight pipe for under 180.00. The muffler was around 110.00/shipped from summit.

Mike
could u pm me there number ill call them up to see if they ship
Old 09-11-2010, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

You would probably be better off finding a local trucking supply company closer to you. It would save you the shipping costs and then you can browse their warehouse to see exactly what you need/want etc... I know Anderson Brothers sells V-band clamps and stuff like that too. Sent you a link to their website...

Mike
Old 09-12-2010, 12:06 AM
10 Second Club

Man that looks GREAT Mike! Although I dont think those tires are street legal....
Old 09-12-2010, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

That is some incredible work Mike!! Should really throw people off with only having 1 exhaust tip.. LOL
Old 09-12-2010, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Mark and Doug. I'm happy with the way it turned out and especially the sound. It's nice and mellow at idle and has a nice smooth/deep growl at upper rpm. Should have a sound clip this afternoon now that the crank seal has been replaced.

Mark, my intentions were to run in a Heads Up class this year, hence the full slicks. Unfortunately, I've been a day late and dollar short all season so I missed all the events. Just now getting all the gremlins worked out.

Mike
Old 09-12-2010, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Here's an idle clip with the new exhaust..... Love the sound of this Dynatech muffler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWJczGEm80E

Mike
Old 09-12-2010, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

That sounds pretty Baddass!! Bet it just shakes the House at about 4500 RPM's??
Old 09-12-2010, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

Yeah mike that does sound good..so will you be looseing or gaining Amy power with just a single exhaust?
Old 09-12-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tmoney223
Yeah mike that does sound good..so will you be looseing or gaining Amy power with just a single exhaust?
A 4" should be about as good as 3" tds
Old 09-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

that does look and sounds pretty good... i am impressed... but i like the nasty sound of my duals lol
Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds good. I like the single dump as opposed to tips, any kind of tips. I hate tips on Camaros, especially the ones that stick out a couple inches beyond the bumper.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Banned

Mike, I meant to ask you what kind of welder you are using? I was looking to replace one. I looked at hobarts, linclon, but was leaning towards a miller. What do you think?

Also in case I failed to mention the exhaust sounds like it wants to eat a ford for some reason....

Quick Reply: Fabbed Up A New 4" Exhaust System