Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Anyone with a GMMG catback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone with a GMMG catback?

Anyone with a GMMG catback? Just as it says, thinking about one, anyone with experience hearing one in person would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ls1sounds.com usually has a lot of clips for different set-ups so you can hear what they sound like. (Providing your speakers are worth anything.)
Old 01-24-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned

Oh ya been all over the site listenning to them, but it still doesnt compare to somone whos owned one. Does it drone at all? How loud is it really? Tough to get relevance from those sound clips. Be great to see and hear one in person.
Old 01-24-2006, 12:22 PM
12 Second Club

Nick - WS6Freak has it as does Doug - 99LSS1 they sound sweet!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:09 PM
11 Second Club

The best catback IMHO, There are a couple others that are nice but I really love the sound of mine. There is a liitle drone. The loudness depends on if you have headers or not. Without headers it is as sweet as silk. With headers it is mean as hell!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 02:22 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's what I want for my Formula... cuz Doug's car sounds fuggin SWEET.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are looking for an old School 'Glasspack" sound it is your best choice
Old 01-24-2006, 04:41 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
If you are looking for an old School 'Glasspack" sound it is your best choice
The SLP Loudmouth has that sound too... it's actually a bit louder than the GMMG, though.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
The SLP Loudmouth has that sound too... it's actually a bit louder than the GMMG, though.

More drone too, but I like that.
Old 01-24-2006, 08:15 PM
Banned

Well I'm gonna have to wait on the new catback til we can figure out what the noise my motor is making is. Might have to save for a new bottom end.
Old 01-24-2006, 10:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

no actually the Loud mouth sounds like straight pipes

Not sure why ....
Old 01-25-2006, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Crank it up and click here
Old 01-25-2006, 11:09 PM
12 Second Club

hehe I figured you'd be posting that vid nick and let me add I was the one recording it and I could feel the exhaust pulses and pressure against my chest
Old 01-26-2006, 05:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm gonna have to go against the grain and say that I definitely do not like the sound of a GMMG, at least on a cammed car. I've never heard one on a stocker, so I can't say anything about that. I spent a bit of time tuning a local guy's car (MS3 cam, Kooks, catted y-pipe and GMMG) and I got to hear the exhaust plenty. In my opinion it was way too harsh. It sounded really tinny and raspy. It sounded alot like my duals did when I had them run out the back briefly. With them dumped they're really deep, bassy and rumbly. When they were run out the back they lost the deepness and the bass, and were just loud and obnoxious. I cut the extensions off after about a week. The GMMG sounded just like it. At WOT, dumped duals sound like a roar, and the GMMG sounded like a screech. Just not my thing I guess.

But exhaust sound is pretty subjective. I'd recommend hearing one in person to really get a feel of what it sounds like, even if you have to drive a little ways.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:12 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
no actually the Loud mouth sounds like straight pipes

Not sure why ....

Believe me, after putting a couple thousand miles on my WS6, I'm pretty intimate with the sound of a SLP Loudmouth. I love setting off people's car alarms with it.

It's the resonator that does it.

The drone isn't all that bad at highway speeds, it only gets kind of annoying when you're going up hills.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Believe me, after putting a couple thousand miles on my WS6, I'm pretty intimate with the sound of a SLP Loudmouth. I love setting off people's car alarms with it.

It's the resonator that does it.

The drone isn't all that bad at highway speeds, it only gets kind of annoying when you're going up hills.
Heh heh heh I soooooo was the king of alarm setting off with mine. L.A. is nothing but parking structures and man oh man is that fun.

The drone (on the freeway) only bugged me after an hour or two and it was nothing the music wouldn't kill.

I also bought a couple rolls/sheets of sound deadener, just never got around to installing it yet.......and with the duals, it couldn't hurt. Not as bad as the LM but still up there.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Silverhawk_02TA
I'm gonna have to go against the grain and say that I definitely do not like the sound of a GMMG, at least on a cammed car. I've never heard one on a stocker, so I can't say anything about that. I spent a bit of time tuning a local guy's car (MS3 cam, Kooks, catted y-pipe and GMMG) and I got to hear the exhaust plenty. In my opinion it was way too harsh. It sounded really tinny and raspy. It sounded alot like my duals did when I had them run out the back briefly. With them dumped they're really deep, bassy and rumbly. When they were run out the back they lost the deepness and the bass, and were just loud and obnoxious. I cut the extensions off after about a week. The GMMG sounded just like it. At WOT, dumped duals sound like a roar, and the GMMG sounded like a screech. Just not my thing I guess.

But exhaust sound is pretty subjective. I'd recommend hearing one in person to really get a feel of what it sounds like, even if you have to drive a little ways.
I realize that exhaust sound is subjective...But with mine, I liked the sound better with every mod. It was the first mod I did, then headers, then a FM11 cam. After the cam at idle it gained twice the low bass sound it had before. So now it rumbles like no other at idle, and just sounds wicked like it is waiting to kill. At WOT I noticed no difference in tone or loudness.
Just my .02