Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Toyo Tires - Front Tires ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Toyo Tires - Front Tires ONLY

Well I am in a dilemma. For those of you that are NHRA members please chime with any advice or recommendations. I was at my friends house last night and he recieved a flyer NHRA about a Toyo Tires Sponsorship. They are offering a BUY ONE, GET ONE FREE offer for their DRAG SLICKS or FREE ROLLING FRONTS. So naturally I did some research. The sizes on the tires seem to be the same. The price for one front tires from Les Schwab is 135.99+tax and the second one is free up to 6 tires. The Moroso DS-2 are going to cost 280+tax. So this seems to be reasonable deal and was wondering about everyones opinions.

Here are a list of difference I see:

Air Pressure
Toyo 40psi
Moroso 30psi

Tire Weight
Toyo 11#
Moroso 12#

I am going to attach a pic so you can also see the tread pattern between the two which is the third difference. You have to go here for the Toyo Front Runner - http://www.toyo.com/images/toyo_drag_tires.jpg

So the question is does anyone use and how do the work?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

I got the same flyer and I've never used Toyo before, but I know that they have really been pumping alot of money into drag racing in the last couple of years. If I was in the market for front runners or slicks, I would probably buy some.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:15 PM
10 Second Club

I got that too. I've only ever used Toyo street tires, but I have a set of their road race tires sitting in my garage. Toyo IS the official tire spsonor of SCCA racing. And Nitto is a division of Toyo if any of that makes you feel any better...I'd try em if I need some.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I got that too. I've only ever used Toyo street tires, but I have a set of their road race tires sitting in my garage. Toyo IS the official tire spsonor of SCCA racing. And Nitto is a division of Toyo if any of that makes you feel any better...I'd try em if I need some.
Didn't know Toyo owned Nitto. The tires I picked up for my TA a month or so back have been great on traction and handeling and the tread pattern does resemble that of a Nitto 55R iirc. I have some 100k mile tires on my GTP that now with 50k on them are a little bit past half their life. Last time I was in Schwab's I asked about those tires and they said they discontinued them, my dad piped up and said "whys that? No one ever got the actual mileage out of them?" and chuckled a bit.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

Also if anyone is interested that did not get the flyer let me know and we can still get them for you.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Buy the damn tires you will not get a better deal ANYWHERE!!! I have had toyos on the back of my Vett. and they are good. AND I saw the slick in question at Les Swhab and Im in....... just as soon as SOMEONE gets me that coupon!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

So here's the skinny. We talked to Les Schwab and all the tires are on back order and you can get them anywhere you just have to go in to your local Les Schwab with the coupon and show them. The tires are scheduled to arrive at most store in a couple of weeks just to let everyone know. It would be beneficial if a couple of NHRA members on that side of the water together and did this a group purchase so to speak.

Roughly $147.00 for the two tires per customer which is significant savings over the Moroso DS-2's that are roughly 280 for the two of them.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Just something to check out..... From what I could tell, they don't offer front runners in any wheel size bigger than a 15" and nothing smaller in height than a 25".

Quick Reply: Toyo Tires - Front Tires ONLY