Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anyone know how to drill Tempered Glass? Ay FISH keepers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone know how to drill Tempered Glass? Ay FISH keepers?

I know this is a weird question. I'm setting up a new filtration system for my reef salt water tank. I dont know how many of you are into Fish, but if your wondering im going a overflow set up through the bottom of my tank into a custom sump with a refugium. It will be completly amazing. Anyway, ive found a few places that will do it, but the cheapest i found was $40 per hole. I need 4. maybe 6 holes so i mean geez, that can add up! I was thinking of doing 3 pillars, but 2 would be fine. I could get away with 1 if i have to.

IF YOUR WONDERING-An overflow set up works like this. Theres a U-shaped peice of plastic that sticks out of the back wall on the tank in question. It seperates the "reef" environment from the hole in the back of the tank( the one i need to drill). The water in this make shift "chamber" drains through the bottome of the tank into a tube or pvc pipe that leads it to the sump(filter system). So the there are two holes like i said. One on the bottom of the tank to drain the water. And one in the back side of the tank. This one establishes the water level becuase its an overflow drain off, hence the name overflow set up. The water drops from hole one into the sump, runs through a series of chambers. The last chamber contains a pump, which feeds the water back up through a return sytem. Mine is PVC pipes, others use tubes. So whatever gets pumped in, displaces an equal amount to be filtered get it?

Anyway, i need probably a one inch hole. Using a hole-saw or similar. Can anyone do this? Are there any walkthroughs? Please let me know, i'd like to save as much money as i can. In just the filter, i've invested about $1500. The lights were another $1000. Sand was about $250. Live rock? All FIJI, a 100 gallon tank, dont want to think about it. Plus animals, corals, frags, clean up crew, etc etc. This is just as expensive as cars!!! But in the end, its worth it.

Last edited by evilZO6; 03-04-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by evilZO6
I know this is a weird question. I'm setting up a new filtration system for my reef salt water tank. I dont know how many of you are into Fish, but if your wondering im going a overflow set up through the bottom of my tank into a custom sump with a refugium. It will be completly amazing. Anyway, ive found a few places that will do it, but the cheapest i found was $40 per hole. I need 4. maybe 6 holes so i mean geez, that can add up! I was thinking of doing 3 pillars, but 2 would be fine. I could get away with 1 if i have to.

IF YOUR WONDERING-An overflow set up works like this. Theres a U-shaped peice of plastic that sticks out of the back wall on the tank in question. It seperates the "reef" environment from the hole in the back of the tank( the one i need to drill). The water in this make shift "chamber" drains through the bottome of the tank into a tube or pvc pipe that leads it to the sump(filter system). So the there are two holes like i said. One on the bottom of the tank to drain the water. And one in the back side of the tank. This one establishes the water level becuase its an overflow drain off, hence the name overflow set up. The water drops from hole one into the sump, runs through a series of chambers. The last chamber contains a pump, which feeds the water back up through a return sytem. Mine is PVC pipes, others use tubes. So whatever gets pumped in, displaces an equal amount to be filtered get it?

Anyway, i need probably a one inch hole. Using a hole-saw or similar. Can anyone do this? Are there any walkthroughs? Please let me know, i'd like to save as much money as i can. In just the filter, i've invested about $1500. The lights were another $1000. Sand was about $250. Live rock? All FIJI, a 100 gallon tank, dont want to think about it. Plus animals, corals, frags, clean up crew, etc etc. This is just as expensive as cars!!! But in the end, its worth it.
i manage a fish dept at a LFS (local fish store) and i have several all saltwater tanks (75,29 reef, and 6gal octopus tank.) My store is al all glass aquarium dealer so i have alot of experience with these. To custom drill a tank you need a special glass drilling bit, i believe it is made out of carbide? Anyways i STRONGLY seggust bringing it to LFS where they specialize in drilling out tanks. The tanks only have tempered glass on the bottoms of the tanks, however it is very difficult to drill any glass. A LFS is going to usually warranty any glass drilled by them and they will replace the tank if they break it. If you are stubborn and want to do this yourself then go on ebay and buy the bit (cost between$20-100) and youtube how to drill glass. I have only drilled one tank and it was the most nerve racking thing imaginable.

Looking over your plans everything looks good except i would change the inlet tube from your overflow box and make it a little lower, then place a tube with a 45 degree so the opening is facing up parralell with the surface of the water, then place a "overflow basket or grate" on that... ill get a pic for you. but good luck making your own overflow box.... its going to be a pain in the ***.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM
TECH Resident

hi you can't drill tempered glass it'll shatter, hence tempered. the holes or cutting is done before the tempering , which is done by heat..
Old 03-04-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by billyb
hi you can't drill tempered glass it'll shatter, hence tempered. the holes or cutting is done before the tempering , which is done by heat..
true but tempered glass is only used on the bottom of tanks
Old 03-04-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

here is the bit... its diamond not carbide as i stated before

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-DIAMOND-TILE-G...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-04-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeedaV8foundation
i manage a fish dept at a LFS (local fish store) and i have several all saltwater tanks (75,29 reef, and 6gal octopus tank.) My store is al all glass aquarium dealer so i have alot of experience with these. To custom drill a tank you need a special glass drilling bit, i believe it is made out of carbide? Anyways i STRONGLY seggust bringing it to LFS where they specialize in drilling out tanks. The tanks only have tempered glass on the bottoms of the tanks, however it is very difficult to drill any glass. A LFS is going to usually warranty any glass drilled by them and they will replace the tank if they break it. If you are stubborn and want to do this yourself then go on ebay and buy the bit (cost between$20-100) and youtube how to drill glass. I have only drilled one tank and it was the most nerve racking thing imaginable.

Looking over your plans everything looks good except i would change the inlet tube from your overflow box and make it a little lower, then place a tube with a 45 degree so the opening is facing up parralell with the surface of the water, then place a "overflow basket or grate" on that... ill get a pic for you. but good luck making your own overflow box.... its going to be a pain in the ***.
You make several good points. However, no one local guarantees or warranties anything to do with drilling tempered glass! So theres no added safety there. Second, i just dont think its worth the money since theres no guarantee or anything. I could always try it on a small cheap glass panel until i get it right.

Those are not my plans. Just a pretty straight forward diagram i found to illustrate my point if people were like WTF is he talking about?

I dont plan on making my own overflow box lol they sell them pretty cheap for my tank. I just need the added holes. Im going to have two overflows and four returns.

You have an octopus in only 6 gallons? What type? Blue ring? I also really want to start keeping octopuses but i already have one marine tank for my beloved long horned cowfish, and my reef tank. I dont want a third tank sitting around. I was told you need at least 30 gallons for even just one adult blue ring. But 6 gallons i could get away with. Please post pics of everything you're talking about!

Originally Posted by billyb
You actually can drill, hence this entire subject. I wasn't asking if it was possible because people do it everyday. I was just asking experienced people how to do it so i didnt have to pay all that money. Its liekly to shatter, thats why it takes special bits and experience.
Old 03-04-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

octopi my bad
Old 03-05-2009, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

You cannot drill tempered glass it will shatter 9 out of 10 times believe me i tried. But most tanks only the bottoms are tempered so if your drilling the back no big deal. I just did an overflow setup on my 150 gallon and used this kit. http://glass-holes.com/product.sc?ca...=3&productId=7

The kit is very nice includes everything needed or you can just buy the bits from them as they are very inexpensive. I do like their overflow boxes though because they take up little room in the tank but can handle a ton of flow. Pm me if you have any questions. Post up some pics of your setup when you get it running.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

also when drilling i lay the tank on its side and let a hose run over the area im drilling. This keeps the bit and glass cool as well as cleans the whole as you cut. Go slow and take your time do not put pressure on the bit. preferably use a drill with a clutch set on a low setting so that if the bit catches an edge it will stop. Also put a towel underneath the whole so when you finish drilling the piece you cut falls on the towel instead of cracking the glass on the other side of the tank. Its actually really simple just take your time and remember your grinding the glass not driling it.

By the way you said you have a 100 gallon tank. I really reccomend ordering a overflow box setup off the site i linked you too. Much easeir than making your own and you dont have to run around to find bulkheads ect. But if you do your setup 1 1 inch hole will not handle much. For your tank you want a pump moving around 1200 gph or so minimum. This will require at least 2 1 inch drains but i would go to 2 1.5 inch drains so you dont ever have an overflow.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i ended up using an overflow box, no way to tell if my tank was tempored or not, and herad lot horror stories about them shattering the tank
Old 03-05-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iverson387
You cannot drill tempered glass it will shatter 9 out of 10 times believe me i tried. But most tanks only the bottoms are tempered so if your drilling the back no big deal. I just did an overflow setup on my 150 gallon and used this kit. http://glass-holes.com/product.sc?ca...=3&productId=7

The kit is very nice includes everything needed or you can just buy the bits from them as they are very inexpensive. I do like their overflow boxes though because they take up little room in the tank but can handle a ton of flow. Pm me if you have any questions. Post up some pics of your setup when you get it running.
Thats really a bargain! I'm definitely going to check into this furthur! So with this it you only drill into the back? So no tempered glass drilling? That would be a smart solution! It'll be a while before its show off ready, but maybe i'll start a build thread lol

Originally Posted by iverson387
also when drilling i lay the tank on its side and let a hose run over the area im drilling. This keeps the bit and glass cool as well as cleans the whole as you cut. Go slow and take your time do not put pressure on the bit. preferably use a drill with a clutch set on a low setting so that if the bit catches an edge it will stop. Also put a towel underneath the whole so when you finish drilling the piece you cut falls on the towel instead of cracking the glass on the other side of the tank. Its actually really simple just take your time and remember your grinding the glass not driling it.

By the way you said you have a 100 gallon tank. I really reccomend ordering a overflow box setup off the site i linked you too. Much easeir than making your own and you dont have to run around to find bulkheads ect. But if you do your setup 1 1 inch hole will not handle much. For your tank you want a pump moving around 1200 gph or so minimum. This will require at least 2 1 inch drains but i would go to 2 1.5 inch drains so you dont ever have an overflow.
No i was going to do 4 1 inch holes. 2 overflow columns, with two holes in each. I was looking for 2000GPH but i layed things out and maybe that is a little overkill, i may end up blowing Nemo out of his britches! lol

What do you use for filtration? Bio *****? No medium at all? More and more people are telling me all you really need it a healthy sand bed but then its just like water going in circles. I dont see why people would just leave them out.
Old 03-05-2009, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Ya for a 100 gallon tank i would buy the 1500 gph kit which only requires drilling 2 holes in the back of the tank. Then just pipe those two down to your sump and i use a t off one of them to feed my skimmer. Then i would buy a return pump in the 1200 gph range. That with 2 koralia 4 powerheads would be perfect for the tank.

For biological filtration i use live rock and live sand. If you are making a reef tank this is essential. If you are making a fish only tank you can use bioballs but they tend to become nitrate factories which is bad for coral. The general rule is 1 to 1.5 lbs of live rock per gallon. The sandbed is up to you either use a thin layer or a deep sand bed with 4 inches or more. I personally have a deep sand bed in my tanks and tons of live rock. It also looks nice and gives the fish places to hide. Live rock is expensive at the store but watch craiglist and local forums for deals.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

In my current tank i have a 5 inch sand bed. But its my animal only tank. For my reef, i plan on 6-7 inches becuase i want at least one stingray and they recomend 5 but 6 is better and 7 is best. I want mine to be happy. So after sand and rock in the tank i dont need anything in the actual sump other than my refugium set up? Im experienced with salt water and marine set ups but this is my first attemp at coral/reef

Quick Reply: Anyone know how to drill Tempered Glass? Ay FISH keepers?