Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Dealership repaired sail panel several times and it keeps doing the same thing...HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009 | 09:55 PM
TECH Addict

Question Dealership repaired sail panel several times and it keeps doing the same thing...HELP

have a 02 SS noticed that the paint was doing the wrinkling crap and bubbling like they are known for doing in about 07, i told them they should replace it and they didnt want to listen. it has now been repainted a total of 6 times it looks great for a few months then starts looking like **** again. i dont know what to do this is the place i purchased the car from and they say they dont have the right equipment to replace it.

what should i do?
Old 08-28-2009 | 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CaMaRo67RS355
have a 02 SS noticed that the paint was doing the wrinkling crap and bubbling like they are known for doing in about 07, i told them they should replace it and they didnt want to listen. it has now been repainted a total of 6 times it looks great for a few months then starts looking like **** again. i dont know what to do this is the place i purchased the car from and they say they dont have the right equipment to replace it.

what should i do?
Right equipment? Its just glued on and the factory glue is the whole problem. It is near impossible to remove it in one piece. They would have to cut it off or break it into sections and pull it off. Im sure a windshield install place could cut it off since it used the same type of glue as windshield urathane. The new panel is pretty expensive from GM and then you would put it back on with some windshield glue. Thats the only way to stop it from doing it over and over again
Old 08-28-2009 | 01:24 AM
TECH Veteran

you have to take it to a gm dealer and they will do it. there was a recall a few months ago
Old 08-28-2009 | 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
you have to take it to a gm dealer and they will do it. there was a recall a few months ago
this was a highly respected gm dealer thats why i dont understand why they act like they are f-ing stupid. do you have any info to the recall or have a way i can get it?
Old 08-28-2009 | 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

There was NEVER a recall on this part. There was a service bulletin. Your vehicle had to fall into a certain year for the individual dealership to even consider replacing it for free for you, otherwise, like most people, you would have to pay for it out of pocket. Last estimate I received was a little over $1,000.

From the sounds of it (and correct me if I'm wrong), the reason why it keeps bubbling is that you are having the dealership re-paint the panel. To understand why this keeps happening you have to understand why it happens in the first place. GM used **** poor glue to originally tack on these panels. The glue will forever continue to seep up and destroy whatever new paint you decide to put on there. You will have to replace the entire piece, and paint it to get the full job done.
Old 08-28-2009 | 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Any pics of this problem? I've heard about the problem, but truly don't know much about it. More info plz...
Old 08-28-2009 | 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsnotstock

from the sounds of it (and correct me if i'm wrong), the reason why it keeps bubbling is that you are having the dealership re-paint the panel. To understand why this keeps happening you have to understand why it happens in the first place. Gm used **** poor glue to originally tack on these panels. The glue will forever continue to seep up and destroy whatever new paint you decide to put on there. You will have to replace the entire piece, and paint it to get the full job done.
x2
Old 08-28-2009 | 01:37 PM
TECH Regular

Seriously guys, there are three links for it right off the bat in the sticky for this section

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/1103895-your-answers-here-look-here-first-common-questions.html
Old 08-28-2009 | 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

. . . It's NOT a recall . . . There is a TSB.

You CANNOT "fix" the problem. You must REPLACE the roof hoop in it's entirety. Unfortunately the glue that holds the roof panel on, is having a chemical reaction to the material of the hoop, and is basically dissolving it from the backside out.

The Stealer who services your cars needs to be bitch slapped . . . pretty ignorant on their part to keep "trying" to fix something the GM has told them won't work . .

This is not a NEW issue . . . .
Old 08-28-2009 | 01:40 PM
Launching!

No joke ^^^, This has been discussed over and over and over again and then over again

This is what they must do
https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...-yourself.html

Last edited by blackbird0230; 08-28-2009 at 01:43 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 08-28-2009 | 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

i know it has been discussed multiple times but my problem is a little different, the dealership denys ever hearing of the problem thats why they keep painting it ive told them whats wrong about the glue and they dont beleive me i just want something that proves im right...
Old 08-28-2009 | 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Someone inform me. Is this just a camaro problem, or certain years?
Old 08-29-2009 | 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Nope, firebirds have that issue too. Mine just recently started doin it.
Old 08-29-2009 | 11:40 PM
On The Tree

guys listen too (ItsNotStock) i have a friend that owns a zl1 and another with a hot rod edition i wont go into details but it had to be replaced , its the adhesive glue it will continue to seep DO NOT waste your time and money repainting it has to be replaced period it will continue to mess up i promise you i know first hand what my high end owners were told by gm big wiggsand what they had to go though, it has to be cut off and the adhesive removed and a new one painted and put on , LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR , IT WILL NOT WORK TO HAVE IT SANDED AND REPAINTED ITS THE ADHESIVE HOLDING IT ON THAT IS GASING THROUGH IT ,(THE ADHESIVE HAS TO BE REMOVED) , GO TO THE STICKEY AND READ MORE , now about the dealer they are sales man that dont know every knook and cranny of every model car , IF YOU TAKE IT TO A DEALER AND THEY SAY THEY WILL FIX IT THEY ARE TAKING YOUR MONEY BC THEY ARE ONLY GOING TO SAND AND PAINT AND THATS NOT THE PROBLEM
Old 09-01-2009 | 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

i know it has been discussed multiple times but my problem is a little different, the dealership denys ever hearing of the problem ...
. . . Tell them to get their heads out of their asses, pick up their lazy fingers and look up the Techincal Service Bulletin (TSB) . . .

Also, here is a link to the info: https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...formation.html
Old 09-01-2009 | 11:20 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by chucks ss
guys listen too (ItsNotStock) i have a friend that owns a zl1 and another with a hot rod edition i wont go into details but it had to be replaced , its the adhesive glue it will continue to seep DO NOT waste your time and money repainting it has to be replaced period it will continue to mess up i promise you i know first hand what my high end owners were told by gm big wiggsand what they had to go though, it has to be cut off and the adhesive removed and a new one painted and put on , LET ME MAKE THIS CLEAR , IT WILL NOT WORK TO HAVE IT SANDED AND REPAINTED ITS THE ADHESIVE HOLDING IT ON THAT IS GASING THROUGH IT ,(THE ADHESIVE HAS TO BE REMOVED) , GO TO THE STICKEY AND READ MORE , now about the dealer they are sales man that dont know every knook and cranny of every model car , IF YOU TAKE IT TO A DEALER AND THEY SAY THEY WILL FIX IT THEY ARE TAKING YOUR MONEY BC THEY ARE ONLY GOING TO SAND AND PAINT AND THATS NOT THE PROBLEM
Does absolutely all of the adhesive left behind need to be removed? Is that even possible?
Old 09-01-2009 | 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

what should i do?
take it to another gm dealer. tell them the other place is jerking you around. inform them of the TSB and tell them they now have a chance to earn your business.
Old 09-01-2009 | 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Does absolutely all of the adhesive left behind need to be removed? Is that even possible?
The TSB states "Remove excess urethane, but not all from the body . ."
Old 09-01-2009 | 10:32 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Roger - I have all the stuff ready to go for this, but I need to find time to get it in the shop and just get it done. I can't wait to be done with these stupid bubbles.
Old 09-02-2009 | 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

I just noticed today that my car has started to do this!! crap..........

Quick Reply: Dealership repaired sail panel several times and it keeps doing the same thing...HELP