Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

body filler shocktower holes

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 03:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default body filler shocktower holes

I'll be doing the wire mod very soon, and the holes will be left behind.

I've never done bodywork. I just spent the last hour looking at youtube videos on body filler mixing/application.

I have some questions that searches on here did not provide answers to:

Do the holes I want to have closed have to be down to bare metal?

I've seen aluminum bondo throw alot on ls1tech, but youtube videos didn't provide me w/ much.

Regular bodyfiller is no good for closing up these tiny holes? Does it have to be fiberglass or aluminum filler for me to do that?

I won't be welding the holes becuase I have no welder, no grinder to my knowledge(maybe my dad) and frankly, I'm a bit lazy to grind.

Any help?

How long would closing up those five little holes take me? I'll be painting my engine bay (engine still in there, heads/intake off) black and clear coated.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you can use Duraglass, it is very similar to kity hair. If you don't know what they are, it is a lot stronger than "bondo" or other plastic fillers because it is a fiberglass mix. When I did my wiring mod on my 96 I welded the hole grinded down then duraglassed over them.

Yes the bare metal is always the best, for laying any kind of fillers. I hope that helps.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You welded your holes and then duraglassed,

but you're saying I could use duraglass w/o having to weld them right?
Old 12-13-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sand down to metal, apply the duraglass, sand, then apply a thing coat of body filler to ensure the holes dont show dimples in filler. Then sand, prime, paint, clear.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool, thanks for laying out all the steps.

I'm getting excited, I hope my bay looks good.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

duraglass is old school, if its a big open hole or if your filling a spot weld, duraglass is worse then regular bondo, its more porus, and its not water proof,

bondo sticks with a mechanicaly, I.E. a grinder, not with a D.A. or just scuffing it with 80 grit, finishing glaze sticks with 80 feathered or d.a. with 80

any welding need clean bare metal for a good penetrated weld, if the metal is not and it dirty, your going to get a big nasty weld and then you grinding more to make the weld flat, not good

today`s bondo lets say by evercoat slings easier, sands easier, is less harmfull for us, its water and moisuter proof, corrossion resistant, evercoat also has a product that has kevlar in it, again its water proof, and does not allow the traditional die back like duraglass does

and we all know to mis bondo ya gotta put a huge line of hardner acroos the bondo, then ya mix it up and sling it, and if its summer then we put less cold we put more right?? right!!!

well thats bad why...?? becasue it doesnt harden completely, more pinholes in the product, to much it dries to fast and then it becomes brittle, and never mix on cardboard, it acts like a sponge and soaks up all the resin and powder in the product and thats a bad thing, i always say a good tech mixes bondo on a piece of metal or plastic not cardboard

evercoat came out with another new product, which uses temp specific hardner, one for cold weather and one for hot weather, and it also is made to reduce pinholes, sands with 80, faster, water proof, lets say you have a puddle of bondo with this new product it comes with pictures to show you how much hardner to use to a specific size puddle of bondo

bondo has come along way, in the past 5 yrs i would stay away from duraglass, and the crap you see in walmart or pep boys, using the right tool for the job makes a huge difference
Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

woah!

Thanks for the schooling.

I'm going to keep an eye out for the temp specific Evercoat bodyfiller.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

hey ya know im in chicago and unemployed why dont ya contact me and maybe we can work something out
Old 12-17-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the offer, but I'm really enjoying working on my car. Plus it's a nice learning process.

Did the wire mod today, and took my car to get the holes welded shut. It was smoking bad from the busted head gasket(s). That's why I'm doing all this. When the heads are off, I'll redo my bay.

Just bought this. I think it'll be enough for the small little holes.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

YES THATS THE STUFF, great product right there, my offer stands if ya need help

Quick Reply: body filler shocktower holes