Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

anyone had a crack head paintjob

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone had a crack head paintjob

im just wondering if im the only dumbass thats had a crackhead paint job? i had an incodent last winter, and had to have the front bumber repainted a new fender and my driver door sprayed...im a poor kid, and and stoped at his little building and asked him how much he would charge..he said 400 and if i wasnt happy i dont pay...i picked up the car at dawn and it looked good...he said he had some more buffing to do bring it back on monday(it was friday) i got to the shop and got it inside and it looked like ****! orange peel and dry spray from hell. i call him as soon as it hit the lights..no answer saterday drove buy and he wasnt there. did this for a while and then gave up...now the paint is flaking off and im pissed....LESSON IS....YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR....DONT GO THE CHEAP WAY OUT!!!!!sorry just felt like a good rant
Old 01-17-2010, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i've seen some bad paint jobs. sad thing is the people who payed for them don't really notice or care most of the time so the shops get away with it.

my car will need paint soon. i'll either pay a reputable shop to do it or teach myself. if i do it and it turns out crappy, i know it's my fault, and at least know i didn't pay someone else who didn't know what they were doing.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea man I feel your pain.
I bought my car over 2 years ago for $2500 and the passenger fender was broken at the bottom and the rear bumper had paint chipping off of it from the previous owner backing into something.
I bought an Ebay fender and a friend told me about a friend of a friend who painted at a shop on the side, I took the fender and bumper to him and he said $300 for both.
1 day later I went and picked it up and since it was late at night they looked awesome but the next day when I went to put them on the fender looked like ****. Pits in the paint, fish eye and I am not sure if he even used clear. The bumper was better but you could see where he didnt sand very well over the cracks so now the paint is chipping in those spots.
You definitely get what you pay for and lesson learned to never go pick up the parts at night lol.
I didnt take them back to him because supposedly he quit 3 days later from the shop lol. Now I am either going to paint my own **** or take it to a local I met who is very professional and does show quality work.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

yeah man i know a guy that got laid off from a local bodyshop and he does it in his garage on the side and he does good word he painted the candy red camaro on here not to long ago and does it for a good price im going to drop it of and have him do everything he sees is wrong
Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned Village Idiot LS1BLKSS

thats gay, sounds like he didn't sand the car that well, i don't know why body/paint shops charge so much!! paint/clear and all the other **** you need is around $350 and thats good GM paint... they charge like $1200 to paint the whole car they pocket $900!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy's 94 TA was litterally painted by a crack head (the previous owner)...he's in jail now on coaine/meth charges.

the car looks awful, the clearcoat is peeling, and he put metallic flake IN the clearcoat...it looks like someone spilled metallic fish food all over the car-the flakes are huge-60's bowling ball style.

that and he repainted the rear filler panel bird/trans am logo with yellow touchup paint. Making a red/yellow accented car

he got the car for $2200 tho...so he puts up with the awful paint. Lmao he gets soo much ****.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

eww lol yeah i dont know what i was thinking...i could have done a much better job just hadnt painted anything at the time
Old 01-20-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my last truck painted by some crackhead on the not so good side of town. I was actually surprised and they did a pretty good job. I must one of the lucky ones lol.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scira
I got my last truck painted by some crackhead on the not so good side of town. I was actually surprised and they did a pretty good job. I must one of the lucky ones lol.
No, you got one who just scored. Everyone else made the mistake of not bringing some crack with them. Withdrawing is a bitch.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by justin455
No, you got one who just scored. Everyone else made the mistake of not bringing some crack with them. Withdrawing is a bitch.
haha.thats where i fucked up.lol if i would have dropped him a rock im sure it would have been done the next day and been great but i just payed with cash lol
Old 01-21-2010, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BLK:UFO
thats gay, sounds like he didn't sand the car that well, i don't know why body/paint shops charge so much!! paint/clear and all the other **** you need is around $350 and thats good GM paint... they charge like $1200 to paint the whole car they pocket $900!!!
Uhm....no. The GM red paint code for my 98 Trans Am is $175 a pint for a decent/slightly above avg quality. Decent clear is easily over $150 a pint. Your prices might be correct for 10 years ago, but are not current.

To repaint an entire car? Everything? 4-5k at most shops to do it properly.

You may also want to look into the new EPA regulations. They're shutting down nearly every small body shop here in Western Ky. Intense regulations regarding disposal of materials, all body shops must have separate paint booth, ventilation systems must be installed to remove bondo dust automatically. I know the first time offense fee for non-compliance is $35k. Many must seriously consider closing up shop for good.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Regular

where are you at in western ky?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Just repainted my entire car in my garage.

Materials would have been about $350 but I decided to double the clear to get a nice shiny finish (2 gallons ~8 coats). Ended up costing around $500. I think clear coat was about $50 a can (about a half gallon???)

That's sand paper and everything...All PPG materials I believe
Old 01-22-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paint is like anything else. Go cheap and you get ****. I've used BASF/Diamont products for over a decade now. PPG, Sikkens, and some others make top notch stuff too but you do get what you pay for. A gallon of clear and activator is over $180. Then there's color and primer. Having said that, those materials wont do you a bit of good if the prep work isnt there. On a used bumper cover, I insist on totally stripping it or I wont paint it. Think about it, its been beat to **** by rocks and pebbles, paint fractured by every instance of bumping into something, and the bottom is usually scrapped all to hell. Fisheyes almost always come from in line contaminants and/or not using a good quality pre cleaner (also not cheep) before spraying. I've also noticed SOME cheaper paints will be more prone to fisheyes. An air filter at the spray gun will do wonders.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

^^^also come from recent armorall...i know around here if you know some one in auto body at the trade school they get paint for the cost of the additives and i think clear.. what ever it is they can get it for around 175 for all of it
Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Regular

I lay it soo smooth i dont need to buff...

Old 01-22-2010, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eventually i want to have my own garage where ic an do my own work and will want to know what kind of sandpaper/ tapes/ air guns/paint guns to get...figured if i start on something kinda shatty until i get pretty good at it i am only out the cost of the materials..
Old 01-22-2010, 02:36 PM
12 Second Club

The amount of prep work that goes into a full paint job is worth what the painter pockets in profit, if it is done correctly. There is usually hours of sanding and primer and drying and sanding....then paint. So yes you get what you pay for
Old 01-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

If you have a nice clean garage or shop you can make a decent paint booth. With a little research you can learn fairly fast how to properly prep a car and what steps to take to paint it. A basic paint job is easy to do and easy to make look good. Just have to take your time. You can save alot of money by doing it your self but its going to take longer and you may have to redo a few things during the learning process. The prep work sucks but once you get to spraying that is my favorite part but then again I have always been pretty good at spraying and some people cant spray an even coat to save there life... just have to practice getting the right distance and spray. Fun to do if you have the time.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah there are some pretty shitty shops out there and like some of the other guys said most people don't notice so they get away with it. I do some part time buffing and see some really bad paint work. Some shops just get it slapped on and get it out the shop. Bad part is it makes that much more work to do it right. Sucks about your car though. good luck with it.

Quick Reply: anyone had a crack head paintjob