Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Broken bumper lip

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Broken bumper lip

Okay, so Mom pulled up on a parking curb that was recently made higher. Surprise! By the time she heard the crunch, it was too late. She still has the broken piece. Is there an easy way to fix this myself, without having to take it to a shop, or having to buy a brand new bumper?

Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you have the piece you can fix it fairly easy. Go to a local parts/paint supplier like Oreillys and get sone 3m tpo/plastic repair. Take the piece and taper the edges and the bumper where it fits back in the hole good and sand the back side good with atleast 80 grit. Then use some masking tape to hold the piece in place, clean the backside good and apply a generous amout over the two part repair and allow to cure. Once it's dry sand the front side and apply to your beveled seam, allow to dry, sand down and primer. Hope this helps you out and good luck with the repair. Remember read and follow the instuctions on the plastic repair.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

probably cheaper to buy a new bumper from a u-pull-it junkyard.. think they're like 20 or 30.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Staging Lane

May or may not be cheaper to replace the entire bumper. You probably could get a cheap one from pick-a-part.

But if youre interested in fixing it yourself, here's what you should use for flexible plastic panels. Will require paint after fixing though..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...ill-holes.html
Old 02-16-2010, 06:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

geting a junkyard bumper is fine, but..............then you have the cost of repairing the bumper and painting,

the first and most important thing to remember is identifying the type of plastic, inside you will see the ISO code, which will say TPO/TPE/TEO/PP/ POLYUARTHENE IS ALWAYS YELLOW, ABS is used on saturns, and on some extrior parts on other cars as well

TPO/TPE/TEO/PP are all thermo set offlien type plastics which always always needs a adheshion promoter for anything to stick, plastic welding if fine and works really well

so now you have the plastic known, oh look it`s tpo plastic, and it has one big *** hole in it............no problem

using a D.A. is fine but through out the yrs i have found that lightly grinding BOTH sides of the plastic not just the backside, works allot better, and i mean with a small die grinder and lightly grinding just to get the paint off and rough up the plastic

i personally love using fusor products, gm to ford all use fusor, and the extreme plastic repair is a great product, if used in the wrong applications its not going to stick to nothing hence the use of the adheshion promoter

more in a few
Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok..........................so now the plastic is grinded, your hands are going to be all over the plastic, offlien plastics are very oily and greasy in production and this goes for any plastic repair/custom work as well

clean the plastic before applying adheshion promoter and or a repair material

our hands are oily and dirty and greasy and if not cleaned your repair can fail, so if you do not have acsess to plastic cleaner you can use a amonia free glass cleaner to clean the plastic before anything goes on

with a hole this big and with both sides of the bumper and the broken part both sides are beveled i would plastic weld in the piece first, not only is it for strenght but it keeps it in place when you applying the material

once it cools down, clean it off again, then apply the adheshion promoter and it has to dry for 10-15 mins, it has to dry that long

once the time is up go ahead and apply your repair material to both sides of the plastic, i leave it bond for 24 hours, you dont have to products dry faster but its my habit and it works well

come back the next day use your D.A. with 80, feathering the repair, again clean it off, apply adheshion promoter, apply the finish coat<again fusor 114, i start off with 120 then i block with 120, if ya need more apply more the norm is about 2 coats of fusor 114

the primer there is no need for flexable primer, i use ppgs ncp 271, but again i use a adheshion promoter then i apply primer on plastic it helps

so thats the correct i have been doing plastic repair/custom for yrs doing it the way i just typed out

for a guess on cost for this type of repair 500-750
Old 02-16-2010, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

^^^Good detail
Old 02-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by black_sheep454
As long as you have the piece you can fix it fairly easy. Go to a local parts/paint supplier like Oreillys and get sone 3m tpo/plastic repair. Take the piece and taper the edges and the bumper where it fits back in the hole good and sand the back side good with atleast 80 grit. Then use some masking tape to hold the piece in place, clean the backside good and apply a generous amout over the two part repair and allow to cure. Once it's dry sand the front side and apply to your beveled seam, allow to dry, sand down and primer. Hope this helps you out and good luck with the repair. Remember read and follow the instuctions on the plastic repair.
or u a bodyman or painter lol cuz u pretty much told em what i was gonna !! lol either that or go to certifit.com or whatver its called , never orderd anythin from there !
Old 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

WOW! Good info! Thanks guys! I'll be seeing what I'll do this coming weekend.
Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, so I've never taken off the bumper myself before. Is there somewhere I can look up that will help me step by step exactly what to do? I mean, I know there are a few fasteners by where the hood meets the bumper and stuff, but that's it.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 92-T5
or u a bodyman or painter lol cuz u pretty much told em what i was gonna !! lol either that or go to certifit.com or whatver its called , never orderd anythin from there !

Ya I'm a bodyman/painter, been doing it for 9 yrs and I'm only 25.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

only 9 yrs??..............still a virgin
Old 02-16-2010, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bdyman
He said he's only 25. If you do the math, he started doing body work when he was 16. How old were you when you started??
Old 02-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bdyman
i know poeple that have many years yet do body work like the roads in mexico bumpy an **** lol (im hispanic so i can say that )
Old 02-16-2010, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MATTKO91Z
He said he's only 25. If you do the math, he started doing body work when he was 16. How old were you when you started??
relax newbie i was jokin around, i started when i was 15, im 38 do the math
Old 02-16-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Ha, I remember when I had my first beer.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, so once again, is there somewhere I can get a step by step guide on exactly how to remove the front bumper? never done this before and don't wanna "F" this up.

Quick Reply: Broken bumper lip