Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

replacing my quarter on my car

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 09:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing my quarter on my car

I need help photos anything you got. I wrecked the car two winters ago and I need to know how to replace the quarter. im not being a smart a$$ her but I know its expensive and a lot of work so please don’t try to talk me out of it but I need all the help I can get. I picked up a quarter this winter put some pics up tomorrow.i got a autobody shop lined up for paint and if i get in over my head but im on a budget so i would like to do most of the work myself. i have picked up a cornwell spot weld drill tool and im great with a welder so im not scaryed i just want to resurce this.so please help!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails replacing my quarter on my car-user146653_pic38762_1260846579-1-.jpg   replacing my quarter on my car-user146653_pic33125_1253134023-1-.jpg  
Old 05-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Staging Lane

Well its not to bad just pull the bumper and taillight and start drilling out the spot welds i usually use a panel cutter on my airhammer and cut the skin off at the edges. Then ur not fighting the whole quarter then just clamp a pair of vise grips on the edge and start rolling the metal strip left off. u can either 3m panel bond the quarter back on but weld around the taillight. Or weld it all make sure u use 3m weld thru primer. its not to bad about 8 hours total r&r
Old 05-24-2010, 12:54 AM
TECH Resident

forget the 1/4 what are you going to do about that front end O_O

and as bagge67camaro said, use Panel bonding instead of welding the hole thing on, much easyer to do. I don't drill spot welds i use a cutoff wheel to break the weld, but thats just me.

good luck, you will need it. its not a easy task if youre new to body work
Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

That quarter needs to be pulled before you cut it off or the door will never line up..
Old 01-12-2011, 08:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK another question to add to this thread. If I were to go to a junk yard I will not have to be worried about damage to donor vehicle for a quarter panel.Will a sawzall do me any good in removing quarter panel or will a cordless drill be better to drill the spot welds or both.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by johnp94
OK another question to add to this thread. If I were to go to a junk yard I will not have to be worried about damage to donor vehicle for a quarter panel.Will a sawzall do me any good in removing quarter panel or will a cordless drill be better to drill the spot welds or both.
sawzall. just cut a good 1 foot around what you actually need.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im starting this on my camaro friday, I cut the new one off the parts car with about 3-6" of extra after the seam. its not that hard if you take your time, just start finding spotwelds and drilling them. One of the hardest parts is at the bottom of the door jamb and back to the front of the tire. There are a couple brass welds down there and the spotwelds are a bitch to find and drill. Ill take pics if i can. Be carefull pulling the panel off the roof, its glued on and will break easily. I am going to use a long flexible putty knife type of tool i sharpened to cut as much as possible
Old 01-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd also strongly recommend putting it on a frame machine and pulling it back into shape before cutting anything off it. I promise you it's off at least a little bit.
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, mine was put on a rack and it was straight, but they did pull the bumper mounts back into shape for me. Heres what I got done yesterday.

I have to say that the most difficult part of changing out the 1/4 panel was removing that ******* sail panel on the roof. I managed to get it off, had to buy some "specialty" tools that turned out to work pretty good. Did crack it in 2 spots but they will be a quick fix, nothing severe. Going back out tomorrow to straighten out the wheel well and start fitting the new one!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

i suddenly feel much better about my cracked and bent bumper.

good luck!
Old 01-27-2011, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

i'm looking into this also. my camaro has a ding deeper than this and looks creased on the quarter panel. i'm not a body man so i wouldn't know where to start on the quarter panel. trans am body parts are a little harder to find in my area so let us know how it goes

Quick Reply: replacing my quarter on my car