Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What is the going rate for a complete going to bare metal to colour sand?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:31 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the going rate for a complete going to bare metal to colour sand?

I got an estimate on my 1968 Nova.

Was going to bare metal, epoxy primer up to finished product with color sand. I was flabbergasted by the price. I know the shop does good work based on comment from people at the local car club etc but I was blown away. The shop rate is about $60 per hour so do the math plus materials The car needs very little metal work maybe new rockers due to the abuse of the last place I had the car. Also the trunk gap to quarters is tight they were going to adjust it. They said the front frame etc would come off the the car would be on the rotisserie.

Here is the estimate for hours:

1. Set up/ sandblast/epoxy prime/ subframe connectors - 40 hrs.
2. Metal Work 16 hrs.
3 .Panel alignment 16 hrs.
4. Prep/ bodywork/ prime/ sand 120 hrs.
5. Refinishing:
-Chassis/ misc. parts 8 hrs.
-Inner door jambs/ hood/ trunk etc. 8 hrs.
- Body exterior 8 hrs.
6. Color sand / polish/ clean up 40 hrs.
7. Assembly (all panels/ suspension) 16 hrs.

TOTAL HOURS: 272 HRS.

So is this way off base? Or about right. Anyway I look at it its not possible for me to pay this kind of $$$$$ for body work and paint job.

What is your experience for price for similar projects?

Regards,
Bruce

Last edited by bitterman; 10-05-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: fix typos
Old 10-05-2011, 08:28 AM
TECH Regular

Damn thats $16,320. Remember back when labor was cheap and parts were expensive? Its the other way around now.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rbaksi
Damn thats $16,320. Remember back when labor was cheap and parts were expensive? Its the other way around now.
Yeah plus materials and then plus our 13% tax on everything

I want the car to look great but no way I can pay about 21.5K for a paint job and body work

Regards,
Bruce
Old 10-05-2011, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Crap even I think that's high. LOL. From bare metal to color sand IMO would be about 7-8 depending on if the car is already sanded down.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

As a guy who does restorations for a living, he is pretty accurate. I would say that an average strip and respray on a muscle car these days is 200-300hrs.

You're gonna have 2-3k in material on that job.

The other thing you have to remember is that estimate may change as soon as the car is stripped. Nobody I know has xray vision and can tell you exactly what lies underneath that paint.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All the times look typical for an overall show quality paint job.

The 120 hours however is what wil be dependent on your individual car. Things such as the amount or rust, how beat up the panels are, use of aftermarket panels that are made in China and never fit right, are all things that can multiply that number. If this were a newer car with no dents and no body work, you could media blast it for about 700, and epoxy/polyurethane prime the car in a week (40 hrs)
Old cars take a lot of work to make really nice.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by Whistler
All the times look typical for an overall show quality paint job.
Old cars take a lot of work to make really nice.

Truth Truth!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:53 PM
Launching!

I know what is under the primer, just not sure if everything was prepped 100% or what deteriorated while the idiot body guy that had the car for almost 3.5 year and did nothing.

This is in primer but it appears the guy did nothing other then this.

This was the last pic I received of the car before getting it back

The person that had the car was suppose to have painted the trunk... well it is bare metal. He said he expect some small holes int eh rockers but I expect they are filled with filler as there is currently rust showing there along with some bare metal.

So basically other then the Dash area in the pic and the rockers the case is very solid. It has 1 new fender and the quarters were new when I started this whole mess.

Hopefully the pics give an idea of what will be worked with.

Thanks,
B

Last edited by bitterman; 10-06-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Staging Lane

Your quote seems reasonable for quality work. Doing this work well takes an incredible amount of time and effort.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car has been sitting around in primer it could be rusting underneath. Primer holds moisture.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LSCha0s
If your car has been sitting around in primer it could be rusting underneath. Primer holds moisture.
Thanks, yes this is why I am going to bare metal again to ensure no surprises due to XXX Chopper Works abuse of my car. He promised it was to be kept inside, was only to last about 6-8 weeks, Truck was already painted (not its bare metal). What I am seeing does not lead me to believe it was not to mention a lot of other miss information/lies I was told.

21.5K is in no way possible at this time.. in fact it will never be possible. I may just try to do it myself unless I can find someone around that does good work at a lower rate maybe for fun or just the love of the cars from the 60's.

Darn I hate stripper and isocyanate's going to be some major sick time for me as they affect me really bad!

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 10-07-2011, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WOW...That is a crazy price...theres no way I would be paying that...you can almost buy a car completed for that price
Old 10-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mrrman
WOW...That is a crazy price...theres no way I would be paying that...you can almost buy a car completed for that price
ROFL you sound like my wife.

I am sure the shop does great work and has lots of solid recommendations. It is above my means right now and will be for a long time unless I win the lottery... guess I should purchase a ticket lol.

Bruce
Old 10-07-2011, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bitterman
ROFL you sound like my wife.

I am sure the shop does great work and has lots of solid recommendations. It is above my means right now and will be for a long time unless I win the lottery... guess I should purchase a ticket lol.

Bruce
LOL

I bought my ticket to
Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, all that money. Who's doing the work, West Coast Customs?
Old 10-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
You recently had your car repainted correct? If I may ask what was the final cost?? Including what your insurance company had to pay out??

That was for a car that was in need of scratch repair, no major body work, damage,etc. No jambs, no roof,no nothing.

To do a quality restoration/re paint is a costly thing. It takes x amount of hours.

The problem that I run into is that people always tell me "the car isnt worth that kind of money" Which 9/10 times is true. However my time is worth something, whether I am working on a VW or a Bentley.

Picture this:

There are 2 Identical 1969 Camaros. Both are the same color, both are numbers matching big blocks, both are numbers matching 4spds, both are rusted in the exact same areas, both need the same amount of chrome, both cars are identical in every way.

Now lets say that they both cost $60,000 to completely restore, top to bottom, every nut and bolt,etc. They're absolutely perfect.

Now here is the twist. One is a 325hp 396 car and the other one is a Yenko.

The 396 car may bring 35k-45k at an auction, and the Yenko will go well past the 100k mark.

Time is time, materials are materials. Just because a vehicle isnt worth what you invest into it doesnt mean the shop should work for less money. Maybe the car you choose to restore should be of a higher value.

Could you imagine if at the job you work at your boss said, well on this particular project you're only getting paid 1/2 your hourly rate because well, the project isnt that important. You would quit.

Are there shops out there that will do it cheaper, without a doubt. If youre price shopping, just make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

A legit shop will always be higher, they have more overhead, more liabilities,etc,etc.

Do not get me wrong I have seen some Pebble Beach type work come out of garages, its all in the know how.

In this industry you typically get what you pay for.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Jeez... I say sell what you've got and buy something in better condition. That thing is going to be a money pit.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either that's a joke or you've never seen anything that came from West Coast Customs. The quality of their work is probably below the average budget shop in every town in America. Garbage. TV and photoshop can make anybody a rockstar!!

Originally Posted by BoricuaHec01
Old 10-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

That is not a bad estimate for a complete rotisserie restoration.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wav3form
Jeez... I say sell what you've got and buy something in better condition. That thing is going to be a money pit.
Are you joking... Or you just want to buy it Honestly very few cars in my area are as solid as this car and those cars have had all the floors replaced, trunk replaced etc etc. This car is in very good shape, just needs the body work and paint.

Honestly it will never be sold as my late father went with me to get the car. I am seriously thinking of doing the car myself. I can spend a lot of time for the $$$$$ that specific shop is asking. There are also other people out there. Time will only tell what is being done. Maybe it will just be a rat rod with a flat paint job depending on how good my body work turns out. A client of my wife is a body guy and he said he would take a close look over the car when the time comes and give it a thumbs up or down for each panel. Right now it it more important to preserve what I have and stop the rust in the areas caused by the abuse and incorrect storage of the idiot that had my car last.

If I do the body work and then get someone to spray the base clear, I can clean up all the panels and the car should look clean when done.

Bruce

Quick Reply: What is the going rate for a complete going to bare metal to colour sand?