Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What is procedure to instal and align the hood on 2000 trans am

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is procedure to instal and align the hood on 2000 trans am

Ill be finnished with painting my aftermarket ws6 hood in a few days. I've been told it takes many hours to align properly. What is the procedure for the alignment.

Thanks
Roman
Old 10-06-2012, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Ok. I installed the hood today. The gap between the headlights and the hood is too big. I need to move the hood forward 1/4 inch. I moved the hood as far as I can with the hood hinge bolts. Can the hinge itself be moved forward if I loosen the bolts that attach it to the fenders?

Thanks
Roman
Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 AM

I aligned mine by trial and error. I would tighten one side down and work on the other until it was perfect. It definitally helps if you have another set of hands around
Old 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best way to do it is having a buddy to help out. I'm not sure if the hinges can be moved forward. Try taking one of the bolts off and see if the bolt hole is oval. If it is then you have a little room to play with. Was the hood the only thing removed? If so, I don't see why you need to move the hinges if it was fine before.

Like I said, have a buddy help out and remember to always keep a hand between the corner of the hood and the cowl. The last thing you want is to chip your new hood.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:14 AM
Launching!

I'll check if the holes in the hinges are oval

Thanks
Roman
Old 10-09-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been a while since I've had my hinges off. But IIRC, they do not have elongated holes for alignment. Start by loosening all the bolts that both attach the hood hinge brackets to the hinges themselves, and also to the hood. Then see if you can get the hood to sit where you want it. Also remove the hood latch.

If the hood lines up where you want it, it's just trial and error of tightening stuff down and hoping it sits right. If it doesn't, you might have to elongate some of the holes on the hinge brackets.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 896 Likes on 638 Posts

To adjust the hood from side to side, (fender to fender) there are spacers between the side of the hinge and inner fender.

Obviously from front to back the holes are slotted. Since its an aftermarket hood you might have to elongate the holes in the hinges so allow more adjustment.

Most aftermarket hoods don't fit great. Some better than others.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:54 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
To adjust the hood from side to side, (fender to fender) there are spacers between the side of the hinge and inner fender.

Obviously from front to back the holes are slotted. Since its an aftermarket hood you might have to elongate the holes in the hinges so allow more adjustment.

Most aftermarket hoods don't fit great. Some better than others.
What LilJayV10 said. It's sorta past the point since you already painted it, but I would have test fitted the hood, barring that the other surround panels are aligned (starting with the door from the quarter panel, then fender, then bumper, then hood, and head lights), because more than likely you may have had to do some minor body work on aftermarket hoods to make sure the gaps were all right and anything else with imperfections before paint. At this point if the head lights to hood gap is the only thing bad, not the fenders to hood, and hood to cowl area, then I recommend adjusting the head light lid covers themselves. Good luck

Quick Reply: What is procedure to instal and align the hood on 2000 trans am