Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement
View Poll Results: Does your car have roof bubbles?
No bubbles
35.19%
Bubbles fixed under 3/36 warranty
1.05%
GM paid for repairs out of warranty
2.96%
GM paid for part of the repairs out of warranty
1.05%
GM refused to pay for the repairs out of warranty
7.84%
I have bubbles but haven't stopped by the dealership
51.92%
Voters: 574. You may not vote on this poll

is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a hard top and I have the bubbles. Not too bad, but noticeable. I showed the body shop manager at the local Chevy dealer (Norman Frede) the service bulletin, but she said that GM would not fix the problem since the car was out of warrnty. I did mention the rust through warranty that extends beyond the 36,000 mile warranty, but the body shop manager said the problem was not rust through, so the problem was not covered by that warranty either.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:22 PM
Launching!

I noticed the bubbles on mine a couple of weeks ago but haven't had time to stop by the dealership yet. Car is still under warranty so they better fix it.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:27 PM
11 Second Club

i got them =( i am gunna check with the dealerships

what the hell do you tell them when you go to see if they will fix it? my roof bubbles and it's gm's fault....please fix it ? lol
Old 05-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Yea I just noticed bubbles on mine.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SShotgun_Rider12
I have a hard top and I have the bubbles. Not too bad, but noticeable. I showed the body shop manager at the local Chevy dealer (Norman Frede) the service bulletin, but she said that GM would not fix the problem since the car was out of warrnty. I did mention the rust through warranty that extends beyond the 36,000 mile warranty, but the body shop manager said the problem was not rust through, so the problem was not covered by that warranty either.
Tell the Dealer BULLSHIT!
Old 05-10-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think i can get mine fixed because the car is out of warranty
Old 05-11-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a word, no.

94 TA GT - TTops - No roof bubbles.
94 TA - Hard top - No roof bubbles.
99 TA - TTops - No roof bubbles.
00 TA WS6 - TTops - No roof bubbls.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Default Bbb

Has anyone filed a complaint with the BBB yet?? (at least those who have not been able to get it fixed?). To me this seems like a good complaint, GM selling a product with an expensive defect and not fixing the problem, and knowing about it. I went to a dealership and they said NO!, sorry!, before I give it a shot, is there anyone else that has???
Old 05-11-2006, 11:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chad2775
Has anyone filed a complaint with the BBB yet?? (at least those who have not been able to get it fixed?). To me this seems like a good complaint, GM selling a product with an expensive defect and not fixing the problem, and knowing about it. I went to a dealership and they said NO!, sorry!, before I give it a shot, is there anyone else that has???
No, but I've I have taken some personal action. I've bought two new vehicles since the local Chevy dealer refused to fix my roof under warranty. And guess what? Both new vehicles where not GM.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have to be the 1st owner of the vehicle? Mine is starting to do that and will take the vehicle to the dealer once I'm off again from work.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

my car has bubbles to, was going to have it repainted but after reading some of these post i guess they will come right back.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a very bad case of the roof bubbles on my 01TA. The dealership I had most my service done at wouldn't touch it cause it was out of warranty. I called the Pontiac 800# and talked to some woman there and she got the ball rolling for me. I then ended up getting it fixed through the dealership I bought it from with her help under the rust thru warranty. I looked into getting it fixed on my own before and estimates ranged from $700-$900. I believe I got lucky. I dont think GM had to fix it for me. Good luck everyone. BTW, I got it fixed thru Walker Pontiac in Bowie Md. if anyone local wants to know.
Old 05-21-2006, 01:44 AM
10 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=lawsuit

It's an opportunity to make your situation known ......
Old 05-21-2006, 05:07 PM
TECH Regular

my car has apparently been repainted so both dealerships told me to get out, and i'm the third owner
Old 05-27-2006, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by racer88
The bubbling on the T/A roof generally is 2 rows across the pillar almost on each side of it.
i just noticed this today and came here to post about it. what the **** is that ****.

i dont want to let some hack of a dealer drive my car around. its not exactly "street/porter friendly" anymore

how willing are they to give you money to take it somewhere?
Old 05-27-2006, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by DriveATransAm
Non whatsoever. Good luck gettin it fixed at all.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

great. i am not taking my car to a dealer for a paint job. i can see some whack job taking my car for a joyride and crashing it.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by AronZ28
Does your 1998 to 2002 Fbody have this annoying problem? The sail panel(on t-top cars) or the entire roof(on hardtops) has a factory defect. If you park your car out in the sun, little bubbles about the size of a pinhead start appearing on the roof. Some cars have lots of these little buggers on their tops. Some people have had these little bubbles pop the clearcoat.

This problem is caused by the glue used to hold the plastic roof on. The glue degasses and the gas travels up through the panel. Eventually it leaves these nice little bubbles in your paint. GM issued a TSB on the issue.

GM TSB

I personally think that this is total bullshit on GM's part. There should be a recall on this. GM is paying for some people's repair and not others. The dealership told me I was SOL, and I got a quote to fix it for $880. My car is reguarly waxed and garaged its entire life. Total bullshit.

I'm wondering if we would have enough people on this board with this problem to form a class action suit against GM. If there are any lawyers in the room, feel free to chime in with your opinion.

I don't think that you are going to get it repaired correctly for $880.00...

The shop that quoted you that price may be trying to rip you off IMO.

This repair involves cutting off your old roof (the whole darn thing), cleaning/scraping all of the old glue off and then they have to order a replacement roof panel for your car, paint it to match, and then fit the new roof skin to your car. Do you really think that the shop that quoted you that price can do all of this for $880.00? (not likely unless you are married to the owners daughter )

I would bet that they are just going to try and sand down your bubbles and refinish the roof you have for that cheap. This method of repair will not last long as the glue (which causes the problem in the first place) is still there...

Please be careful so you do not get ripped off on this repair. Ask lots of questions and if you have any doubts at all, find a different shop.

FWIW, I made a great paper weight out of a piece of my old roof and got some awesome pice of my new roof sitting on sawhorses at the stealership.
The guy that did my paint work was a friggin pro. My roof was painted 2 weeks BEFORE I ever took my car to the shop and was a perfect color match. The guy was painting by 'number' and hit it on the money the first try... Finally, a 'Dealer' that got it right for a change. They told me that it 'would' have been a $2k repair for me if not for the TSB and warranty.

Best of luck getting your ride fixed up friend.
Old 05-28-2006, 05:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DriveATransAm
i just noticed this today and came here to post about it. what the **** is that ****.

i dont want to let some hack of a dealer drive my car around. its not exactly "street/porter friendly" anymore

I wasn't about to leave my car at a dealer for any length of time either.

So I had them order my roof FIRST and when the roof was there (and had been painted) I then took it in for the work. I dropped it off first thing in the AM and picked it up that afternoon before close.

When I dropped it off I had the paint service manager stand right there with me while I wrote down my mileage and had her sign off on it. (she must have thought I was nuts) My car had NO more miles on it than it did when I dropped it off... It pays to cover your a$$ when dealing with these people.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

I had a few estimates myself before I got GM to fix mine. All were within $700-$900. The shop that ended up fixing mine said the work cost about $800. (Dont remember exactly) Mine was done correctly. New roof panel. What's so hard about it? Tear off old roof, glue on new one, and paint.

Quick Reply: is your 98-02 f-body roof bubbling?