Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Spray painting a scratch - possible?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spray painting a scratch - possible?

I have a 1 inch scratch on the rear quarter panel that I tried to polish out, but removed the clear coat, and the scratch is still there. I don't want to paint a large area, so I had an idea of making a 2 inch mask, elevating it about a half inch from the paint, and spray painting just this area. Because the mask is not flush with the body, it will "feather" in the edges, if you can understand what I'm saying. I'm trying to avoid a line. Then I'll make a 3 inch mask and do the clear coat. Do I have to sand the surface, and if so, do I have to worry about the clear coat spraying the un-sanded areas? Will clear coat adhere to a smooth but wax free area? If I do sand a bigger area than the clear coat is painted, do I just buff out the remaining sanded area? I hope all this makes sense.

I've had great success with spray cans in color matching, and cannot see spending a lot of money for the 1 inch scratch. If the car was new, it would be a different story. It is Victory Red, and is a breeze to paint, unlike the metallic colors. Look at my photos of painting my bumper a week ago. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

Well on a spot like that i think you will see the difference especially without doing spray out cards to match your paint and not using automotive paint. If i had to have fixed that scratch i would of filled just the scratch with paint and clear then buffed it out.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Scammer Alert!

well, when we paint cars that we fix , we use a technique called blending, basically you sand a little further than where you are going to clear, after you clearcoat, you use reducer and mix it in with the clear at about a 1-1 mixing ratio, spray the reduced clearcoat over the part you oversanded, that will be your blend area, let dry and buff the blend line, kinda tricky but it is done everyday at our shop
Old 07-16-2007, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Well on a spot like that i think you will see the difference especially without doing spray out cards to match your paint and not using automotive paint. If i had to have fixed that scratch i would of filled just the scratch with paint and clear then buffed it out.
No, I'm using the spray can from Plastikote, the exact color code for my car, which matched my bumper beautifully. I'm not too worried about the color matching, just blending it in and avoid a line. I don't want to get into painting the entire quarter panel.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ricks99ls1
well, when we paint cars that we fix , we use a technique called blending, basically you sand a little further than where you are going to clear, after you clearcoat, you use reducer and mix it in with the clear at about a 1-1 mixing ratio, spray the reduced clearcoat over the part you oversanded, that will be your blend area, let dry and buff the blend line, kinda tricky but it is done everyday at our shop
I know how to blend, but i dont like that technique i prefer to spray the entire panel. After a few years you will see a haze line around the area you blended the clears.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:42 PM
Scammer Alert!

you must not know how to blend, when you buff the blend your supposed to buff it so the buffer is buffing off the blend, the only way youll get a haze where the blend is, is if you burn it, and he doesnt want to paint a large area i.e. the whole panel, so blending would be the only other option
Old 07-16-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Ok if you would of payed attention to what i said maybe you would have not posted. I said after a few years not right away. Sure it will look all nice and shiny at first but no matter how good you blend you will always have one layer of clear on top of the other therefore in time you will end up seeing that line betweent the two because you will end up rubbing off that fine freathered sanded edge as time goes. Do things however you want personally i would reclear the entire panel. I can blend as good as anyone but i prefer to do **** right instead of doing it twice.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Scammer Alert!

you may wanna look into what products you use then, been in business 18 years and have never had a customer come back because where we blended hazed or blend line came back, and if you would have payed attention to the ops post he stated he didnt want to spray a large area, why spray a whole panel? blending is faster, and just as effective, i dont think insurance companies would pay for blend time if they knew it would come back after a couple years, they would pony up and spray the whole panel
Old 07-16-2007, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

I spray sikkens and i know they are the top of the line product out there. yeah you can blend that is cool and all but i know its not the right way to do things. yeah you can do that at a high production shops where **** is in and out but i would not do it to my car if i had the option. Just think of the science.. You are sanding the clear verry finely and there will be an edge between the old clear and the new. I dont work at a high end shop where you take those kinds of short cuts might as well mask the entire fender and spray it, its only the rear quarter it would take me one hour tops to paint the whole damn thing.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Scammer Alert!

i understand what your saying man, and i wasnt trying to be a dick, i was just saying for something quick, that WORKS and if you do it right will have no future problems there is nothing wrong with blending

Quick Reply: Spray painting a scratch - possible?