Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Rattle Can Clear and NBM questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rattle Can Clear and NBM questions

Im trying to paint some plastic (FRP) panels for batt / fuse covers,,,Im doing them in NBM that i got from my dealer.,,(rattle cans).....couple of questions..
and yes, ive searched and stickied, but im still havin no luck...

1. Can i wet sand this stuff,,,seems to make it dull, but if i dont do it, the rattle cans seem to spray some dust...and some portions look glossier than others, even after it dries,,,am i spraying to heavy on some passes??? And how do i do this (wet sand) on the edges and corners without removing the paint (which seems to be what i am doing, and im going through alot of paint it seems) The sticky for painting plastic does not go into metalic paint,,only the reg kind.

2. When i go to apply some clear coat (rattle can), its very hazy, and makes my dull NBM even uglier,,,i have tried Ace, Duplicolor, all have the same effects for me...am i missing something? How are poeple getting these crystal clear wet looking finishes from a rattle can?

Im not even wanting to start destroying my FRP's, or let alone tackle a CETA,,,i have THE worst luck with painting projects.

Thanx for your help everyone.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can wet sand rattle can clear coat, just make sure you are polishing it correctly. I don't know what you could be doing wrong. Just make sure to polish it and you should be ok.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

what polish should i try? To be honest,,i tried using nufinish? i think? but it would just make the hazy finish even more hazy,,like the towel was losing fibers in the rough finish,,leaving it white-ish
Old 09-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Staging Lane

you just have to wax the heck out of it. the clear will look very dull after you sand it. what grit paper are you using?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

Old 09-11-2007, 01:25 PM
Banned

It takes forever for the canned paint to cure enough to wetsand and buff.
Just yesterday I bought a spray can of SEM plastic primer, 8 ounces, thats 16 sprayable ounces of base, a quart of clear, reducer, hardener, and a prevail refillable paint sprayer (that was $5). All PPG OEM type paint. Total was $147.
I've tried the rattle can procedure and it never worked for me, two part clear cures even if you leave an inch of it in a can. Rattle can paint air dries, cure time is a guess and can be up to a month or more.
$150 may seem like a lot but it's $150 of stuff that works, a few rattle cans are $20 worth of crap that never looks right, drives you nuts trying to make it right. And in the end is $20+ your time wasted.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
but it would just make the hazy finish even more hazy,,like the towel was losing fibers in the rough finish,,leaving it white-ish
If you wetsanded with 1000 and you're loosing fibers of your towel in the clear it's because the nu finish is softening the uncured air dry paint. The white haze is the nu finish absorbing into the clear.
And why are you using nu finish to buff fresh paint? Thats **** to begin with and it's designed to bring back shine by removing surface contaminates, it has no ability to buff a wetsanded finish.
But like I said the rattle can clear isn't cured so even if you used the right product it would still not work.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

i had the stuff there, so i used it, but i think your right,,my clear needs about a week to dry before i touch it. What should i use to polish it after a week to dry, and some wet sanding,,,,?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

I used meguires stuff if I can remember right it is a three step process. a cutting compund, a polishing compound and then a wax. My motorcycle turned out great with this stuff and rattle can clear. I get compliments all the time. Personally I would wet sand with something like maybe 1500 or 2000 before using the compund and to help use an actual buffer, or get the mothers powerball. The powerball worked great for me.
Old 10-04-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Default Finally got some good results

Yeah,,,my whole problem was not adding enough clear coat,,,by that i mean i was just dusting each coat on, then not waiting long enough for it to cure before wet sanding. I got my clear finished lastnight, 2 cans used,,,looks amazing, but i will polish anyway. I made 2 fuse covers, 1 battery cover, and a PCM cover all out of FRP panel, (except the pcm, its something else),,all painted NBM that i got from the dealer in the lil 5oz spray cans. Cost was only what i spent in paint and sandpaper, and since i fuked up the paintnig so much, it probably cost me 3 times what it should have. But they came out swweeeeet! Once dried and polished i will apply my decals, and have some pics up for you all. Thanx to everyone that PM'ed me back with clarifications and such to all my questions
Old 12-11-2007, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

cars is very dirty, winter storage,,but here are the pics of my 4 custom made covers,,,

Quick Reply: Rattle Can Clear and NBM questions