Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Best way to fix separating door skin from frame?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to fix separating door skin from frame?

What is the best way to get this done without spending big $$$$?? I would like it done right but I can't justify a ton of money if it can be done acceptably well without pulling the skins completely off the car, re-glueing and painting. Anyone with experience with this?
Old 04-11-2008, 08:44 PM
Staging Lane

post some pics!!!!!! I fixed my door last year! go to autozone and buy a glue I dont remember the name, it glues metal, fiber glass, plastic, etc its the one that u have to mix , it costsno more than $30 glue it then wait until it drys then paint it!!!! just fallow the instructions that are on the glue bottle
put some tape or some thing around the area cuz it can get very messy! I did it last year and it intact it glued on very well and and you can't even tell any work was done on it and I didn't spend lots of $$$$$ and to think I wanted to buy a new door
Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Teching In

You might be able to seperate one section or side of the door and (rig) it back together using a 3m or SEM product glue. You can find it at any shop that services autobody shops. To be correct you should take the door off and try to seperate the skin from the door shell and reglue the whole skin. MAKE SURE you scuff or scratch the surfaces being bonded with like 80 or 180 grit paper. The down side to take the door off you have to take the door panel off and basically unhook all of the wiring harness that runs thru the door and pull it out. Most vehicles the wiring unplugs from the door or inside the body. BE sure to wipe all excess glue off any ares not being bonded. Once it sets up you will have to have a chisel to get it off. There are a couple of options.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lsx454
You might be able to seperate one section or side of the door and (rig) it back together using a 3m or SEM product glue. You can find it at any shop that services autobody shops. To be correct you should take the door off and try to seperate the skin from the door shell and reglue the whole skin. MAKE SURE you scuff or scratch the surfaces being bonded with like 80 or 180 grit paper. The down side to take the door off you have to take the door panel off and basically unhook all of the wiring harness that runs thru the door and pull it out. Most vehicles the wiring unplugs from the door or inside the body. BE sure to wipe all excess glue off any ares not being bonded. Once it sets up you will have to have a chisel to get it off. There are a couple of options.
the wire harness for the doors do unplug...they unplug inside the car.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have done a few of them.

Take the door off the car and put it on a stand to gain access for the clamps.

Use a paint stick, putty knife ect. to peel back the skin just enough to get some sand paper between the panels and sand/scuff away. If its a fresh break then it will allready be clean between the panels.

I like the 3M Automix SMC/panel adhesive, be sure to get plenty of glue between the panels and clamp it and let set over night. Be careful not to over clamp the skin or you will have a wavy/distorted outer panel, use paint sticks between the clamps and the door to help spread the load.

If you try to remove the entire panel you will most likely end up doing more damage to the rest of the door structure in the process... especially if you have no experience with this.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
I have done a few of them.

Take the door off the car and put it on a stand to gain access for the clamps.

Use a paint stick, putty knife ect. to peel back the skin just enough to get some sand paper between the panels and sand/scuff away. If its a fresh break then it will allready be clean between the panels.

I like the 3M Automix SMC/panel adhesive, be sure to get plenty of glue between the panels and clamp it and let set over night. Be careful not to over clamp the skin or you will have a wavy/distorted outer panel, use paint sticks between the clamps and the door to help spread the load.

If you try to remove the entire panel you will most likely end up doing more damage to the rest of the door structure in the process... especially if you have no experience with this.
x1000 but dont take the door off the car ,just remove the inside door panel! so that u can see from the inside of your door what u are doing, but it depends on where the door needs to be rapaired IMO of course.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VINCE TA
post some pics!!!!!! I fixed my door last year! go to autozone and buy a glue I dont remember the name, it glues metal, fiber glass, plastic, etc its the one that u have to mix , it costsno more than $30 glue it then wait until it drys then paint it!!!! just fallow the instructions that are on the glue bottle
put some tape or some thing around the area cuz it can get very messy! I did it last year and it intact it glued on very well and and you can't even tell any work was done on it and I didn't spend lots of $$$$$ and to think I wanted to buy a new door

I need to get a pic of the door actually separating. This is just a pic of the resulting poor window seal.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:30 PM

Does any one know if that mighty putty from tv will work. i have some already and would use if i could. www.mightyputty.com
Old 04-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by goat-ee
I need to get a pic of the door actually separating. This is just a pic of the resulting poor window seal.

yes bro i had the same problem with mine!!!!! i dont think that u need to remove the whole door or the skin to fix it !
Old 04-13-2008, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VINCE TA
x1000 but dont take the door off the car ,just remove the inside door panel! so that u can see from the inside of your door what u are doing, but it depends on where the door needs to be rapaired IMO of course.
A lot of times the door will sag or be out of allignement from the skin being loose. You don want to re bond the skin with the door sagging/tweaked or you will make it a permenant problem.

Removing the door from the car eliminates the chance of this.

Also, dont use Mighty putty, do it right the first time use the right adhesive and be done. If you use something thats not designed for bonding SMC then you might end up doing it again a few months down the road...

exept you may end up having to completely remove/replace the entire skin in order to strip/remove the Mighty putty to get a clean surface for the correct adhesive. And if you dont know what your doing you may end up destroying your door all together.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Took it to the local Chevy dealer. Turned out both doors were separating. Also they replaced the outside seal on the door as it was worn somewhat, but more importantly there were a couple of stops that control the window from going to far out. Parts, labor and taxes $204.00.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Default Better thread on same issue.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/paint-bod...ng-undone.html

Quick Reply: Best way to fix separating door skin from frame?