Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

raammat - ing my interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raammat - ing my interior

I recently took out all the carpet in my trunk the get to the bottom of a leak I had. Ended up being a piece of worn out weatherstripping that i replaced. I ended up taking out my back seats/seat belts, as well as the panels to clean everything really well. Basically everything behind the front seats is gone now.

Anyways, I noticed how freakishly loud the interior is. I know it's going to be louder without all the stuff, but still...

I started researching insulation and at first I was going to buy Dynamat because that's all I knew was out there. I ended up finding out about raammat bxt. I am ordering everything tomorrow to do the complete job. 2 rolls of raammat, couple yards of ensolite, and some spray glue to attatch the ensolite.

I'm not really doing this because of a system or anything, I just like the luxury of nearly "sound proofing" my interior. Kinda like when you close the door of a BMW.... you hear nothing outside. I don't mind the extra 50ish pounds because the trade off will be great - in my opinion at least -.

I will put up pics of the install step by step when I start it. Wonder how long everything will take to get here . .. . .
Old 05-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Ive been thinking about doing the same thing to my Camaro. Not for a stereo system, ust to kill all the road noise, keep it a bit quieter inside. Definatly keep us updated, I want to know how much of a difference it makes!
Old 05-22-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I did it on my 94Z (used Damplifier, which is pretty much the same stuff). I not only coated the shell, I did the interior panels as well (rear sails, console underside, etc). No regrets at all. Even though it's a vert and I'm not doing away with 'all' road noise, there's a lot less noise coming from "below".

I ordered the Second Skin equivalent of ensolite, but didn't use any of it. I put the butyl mat on the panels, it worked just fine.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did something similar with home depot cheapy webbed **** and it reduced the sound inside my car drastically ! I used some frost king on the door panels etc, but im debating getting some foam since I hear that reduces sound (again not for sound system just luxury feel) letme know how it goes and post pictures !
Old 05-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

glad to hear im not being called "rice" for this. lol. ive actually seen it been said.

Im planning on wrapping my interior in leather in the future. I know a camaro's not a "luxury" car, but we can get close!

I will definitely post pictures when I make the progress nad get everything in.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1wkd6
glad to hear im not being called "rice" for this. lol. ive actually seen it been said.

Im planning on wrapping my interior in leather in the future. I know a camaro's not a "luxury" car, but we can get close!

I will definitely post pictures when I make the progress nad get everything in.
sounds good definitely keep us updated
Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Even though it's a vert and I'm not doing away with 'all' road noise, there's a lot less noise coming from "below".
That's where a lot of the noise comes from anyway.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I used second Skin liquid, then Raamat then the ensolite. Raamat guy lived a few miles from me before he moved. Got a great deal on it. Thats was a few years ago, no problems with it at all
Old 05-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

1998 Camaro + MTM + V6 3.8L + A4 + bone stock + DD =

haha, just kidding Sparky. I used to be bone stock too. I don't miss it tho.
Old 05-23-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I used second Skin liquid, then Raamat then the ensolite. Raamat guy lived a few miles from me before he moved. Got a great deal on it. Thats was a few years ago, no problems with it at all
damn that much stuff ! noticeable difference ?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

Yep, sounds like an air lock when you close the door.lol . Each material blocks a different frequency. IT doesnt block it completely but it does help. Also my car isnt very loud standing next to it outside but the stereo is loud inside.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

Yep, sounds like an air lock when you close the door.lol . Each material blocks a different frequency. IT doesnt block it completely but it does help. Also my car isnt very loud standing next to it outside but the stereo is loud inside.
that's exactly what i wanted to hear!
Old 05-23-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome, I have longtube headers, but stock exhaust, I also have an electric cutout, when its open its open headers, when its closed car is quieter than stock. but I can imagine w/ all 3 layers of the things you did it must be real quiet !

How much would something like that run do you know?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Banned

Its not super silent, dont think its a cure all but it does help.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Staging Lane

from raammat for the complete setup about $350. im doing the install myself so that part will be free.

Originally Posted by eddielb
awesome, I have longtube headers, but stock exhaust, I also have an electric cutout, when its open its open headers, when its closed car is quieter than stock. but I can imagine w/ all 3 layers of the things you did it must be real quiet !

How much would something like that run do you know?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from raammat for the complete setup about $350. im doing the install myself so that part will be free.
thats not too bad hmmm
Old 05-23-2008, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

I used raammat and the ensolite in my ram when I had it. Worked good...stuck good....Rick was super nice to deal with. I mod an a/v section on another forum so I got a deal on it
Old 05-23-2008, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by habeba86
I used raammat and the ensolite in my ram when I had it. Worked good...stuck good....Rick was super nice to deal with. I mod an a/v section on another forum so I got a deal on it
agreed. for someone ive never met, rick is pretty cool
Old 05-24-2008, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eddielb
i did something similar with home depot cheapy webbed **** and it reduced the sound inside my car drastically ! I used some frost king on the door panels etc, but im debating getting some foam since I hear that reduces sound (again not for sound system just luxury feel) letme know how it goes and post pictures !
any pix? Home improvement area?
Old 05-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Banned

Hehehehe, it all depends on how much you put down and how much you do. Rick is agreat guy I went through like 8 -12 rolls..LOL

Quick Reply: raammat - ing my interior