Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Annoying problem, help

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2003, 12:40 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Annoying problem, help

Over the weekend, a buddy of mine and I installed the Holley-Weiand alumimum LS1 Intake and SVO 30# injectors. I also took out my throttle body, drilled the hole SLIGHTLY bigger (not much at all), and attempted to port it. I put some JB weld in the throttle body, and let it sit. It didn't come out very good (I think it was too liquidy when I put it in) ... so I removed it all, and just used the dremel and polished the inside of the throttle body, and removed all the dried JB weld.

When I started it after the install, it immediately jumps to around a 1,300 rpm idle. It idles really badly until it starts to warm up ... at which time it slowly moves up it's idle to around 2,000 - 2,500 rpms for a minute or two. Then, it will go back down to around 1,200 or so, the back up to 2k, then back, etc etc. Basically acting really irradically. I let it idle for awhile and then drove for around 20 minutes today, to see if it would learn it out, and it doesn't seem to have gotten any better.

I plan on getting it tuned on friday, but until then it is too much of a pain in the *** to drive. I figured it was not going to be the greatest idle, but this is much worse then I had thought. Anyone have any idea what is causing this? Is it just the higher injectors, or could it be that I got some JB Weld in that sensor on the throttle body?

Thanks guys.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:42 PM

Default Re: Annoying problem, help

Btw ... I have a a/f ratio gauge ... and during this whole ordeal, it is basically always showing a lean condition, which is opposite from what I would expect. Normally during idle it bounces from rich to lean constantly, now it just sits at lean until I press the gas, which it goes rich instantly.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a vaccum leak to me,need to make sure the intake is sealed. when I installed mine I had to put washers on the bolts because they where bottoming out before the intake was tight.Just something to try if you didn't already,the proper way to fix would be shorter bolts but I could not find any.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:45 PM

Sounds like a vaccum leak to me,need to make sure the intake is sealed. when I installed mine I had to put washers on the bolts because they where bottoming out before the intake was tight.Just something to try if you didn't already,the proper way to fix would be shorter bolts but I could not find any.
Wow, I didn't think of that at all ... The intake came with shorter bolts ... all of which tightened down completely without bottoming out. I do hear alittle air however, which I attributed to the noiser intake.

Old 09-14-2003, 02:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The first bunch of the aluminum intakes seemed to
cause a bunch of complaints about sealing. I'd
say to do a propane check around all 8 intake
ports as well as around the TB.
Old 09-14-2003, 02:36 PM

what if I used a gasket maker or sealer to seal the 2 sides of the gaskets it came with?

I do hear some air coming out of it, which it sounds like it's coming from the back passenger side .... but it's really hard to tell with how loud my engine is.

Old 09-14-2003, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

The first bunch of the aluminum intakes seemed to
cause a bunch of complaints about sealing. I'd
say to do a propane check around all 8 intake
ports as well as around the TB.
You can't just listen to it Bud. You need to check it properly. The easy way to check is with a can of carb cleaner. Spray a little around the intake ports individually. If the rpm's change then you have found your leak. Make sure you check all of them and the TB as well.
Old 09-14-2003, 06:00 PM

I checked it with carb cleaner, and the RPMs definately went up when I sprayed the front section of it.

What do you guys suggest as to how I fix it? It included a gasket, so could I just pick up the intake and reseat it, or should I put gasket maker in there?

Old 09-14-2003, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Around the front where? Behind the throttle body? Or around one of the front intake ports? If around intake port buy some new gaskets and pull the intake and be sure there is nothing underneath that would keep the manifold from fitting properly. Put the new gaskets on and set the intake on the heads. Before you put the bolts in check and see if there is any visible evidence that there may be a leak. If its around the Throttle body do the same thing.Good luck
Old 09-14-2003, 07:56 PM
11 Second Club

Doh! When I said do the same thing I ment to the throttle body not the whole intake. Not to say you are an idiot I just don't want to cause you any more work than you have to do from a misunderstanding.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:59 PM

Doh! When I said do the same thing I ment to the throttle body not the whole intake. Not to say you are an idiot I just don't want to cause you any more work than you have to do from a misunderstanding.
It was around an intake port, and I pulled the intake off, which destroyed the gasket ... so I am going to get new gaskets and seat it again.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Just FYI, some of those intakes were built with the wrong angle to the head. As a result, they would not seal correctly until they were machined to the proper angle. You may want to blue the intake and make sure that it is making contact with the ports at the base.

Good Luck
Old 09-15-2003, 10:00 AM

Just FYI, some of those intakes were built with the wrong angle to the head. As a result, they would not seal correctly until they were machined to the proper angle. You may want to blue the intake and make sure that it is making contact with the ports at the base.

Good Luck
Yeah that's what I have heard. I checked it, and it was the intake that was machined improperly. So basically I wasted 6 hours because of a faulty intake ... kind of sucks. I'm going to call them up in a few minutes and talk to them about the problem. Thanks again for the help guys.

And Kevin ... I'll be around your shop for some more tuning soon enough.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:01 PM

Talked to holley, they are going to send me a brand new one, that is not part of the batch that was machined improperly.

Still a waste of my time, but at least they are willing to fix it.