PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can LSx tuners tune other GM PCM's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Can LSx tuners tune other GM PCM's?

May be a silly question, but is there enough commonality among other GM PCM's that a tuner using LSx software (LS1Edit, HP Tuners, etc) could modify other GM PCM's?

Reason I ask - I have a 2003 Caddy SLS as a DD that is tossing EVAP codes (P0440 - large leak), scoured the whole system and can't find a clear leak, going to replace the purge solenoid and the fuel tank pressure sender next. But if I can't get it fixed by January, I'm going to fail OBD2. Would love to give my local LS1 tuner $100 to tune out the EVAP system, like they have the AIR system on my LS1, and be done with it.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tunercat is the only one that has support for that vehicle.
EFIlive and HPTuners only has support for 04 and up CTS-Vs.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Tunercat is the only one that has support for that vehicle.
EFIlive and HPTuners only has support for 04 and up CTS-Vs.
What def file does that use? I don't see it on their list.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
What def file does that use? I don't see it on their list.
NS2. There's a few new ones. He has a Caddy section now. Scroll down on the supported vehicles list.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are all OBD1. The OP is looking to edit a 2003 Caddy SLS. I'm not ******* on you. I just thought there might be some new OBD2 stuff from TC I wasn't aware of.
Old 10-28-2008, 11:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Those are all OBD1. The OP is looking to edit a 2003 Caddy SLS. I'm not ******* on you. I just thought there might be some new OBD2 stuff from TC I wasn't aware of.
Damn you're right. I looked right at it. I also knew he was looking for 2003. Guess I need my eyes checked LOL!!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn you're right. I looked right at it. I also knew he was looking for 2003. Guess I need my eyes checked LOL!!
No problem, appreciate the input though!

So I guess it sounds like I'm kinda out of luck. Yeah I didn't really expect anyone to make a pcm editor for an oldman-mobile, but it was worth a shot!
Old 10-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NHRATA01
No problem, appreciate the input though!

So I guess it sounds like I'm kinda out of luck. Yeah I didn't really expect anyone to make a pcm editor for an oldman-mobile, but it was worth a shot!
I'm sending TC an email to see if he can do something for me.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the milage of the vehicle, does it fall under the 8 year/80,000 mile federal emissions warranty?

Ryan
Old 10-28-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you try a replacement gas cap?
Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Did you try a replacement gas cap?
Yessir, to no avail. That particular car did have a recall for the fuel tank pressure sensor, and I verified it was performed.

Its a 2003 SLS, 44k miles. I suppose it may still be covered under an emissions warranty, but does that cover EVAP? Kinda thought it only covered the cats.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would look at the owners manual, it should cover what components are covered, but i believe it should be.

Ryan
Old 10-30-2008, 06:41 AM
Banned

May be a silly question, but is there enough commonality among other GM PCM's that a tuner using LSx software (LS1Edit, HP Tuners, etc) could modify other GM PCM's?

Reason I ask - I have a 2003 Caddy SLS as a DD that is tossing EVAP codes (P0440 - large leak), scoured the whole system and can't find a clear leak, going to replace the purge solenoid and the fuel tank pressure sender next. But if I can't get it fixed by January, I'm going to fail OBD2. Would love to give my local LS1 tuner $100 to tune out the EVAP system, like they have the AIR system on my LS1, and be done with it.
Sorry I forgot about this.

Closely inspect the top of the fuel filler. I have been ordering about 3 a month for corrosion. They have been rusting out. The Purge solenoid won't set that DTC. The Vent Solenoid will. I have replace about 1 a year over the last 5 years. The Fuel Tank Pressure sensor will set this DTC also. It usually set more DTC's with it. I have replace a ton of these, but only a few in the last 2 years. This is easy to replace. You have a trap door in the trunk.

I would look at that Orginal Gas Cap for cracks in the sealing ring and the rust/bumps at the top of the filler.
I have a filler and cap to replace today.

Vent Valve is around the front of the LR control arm

If you need I can loan you a PCM Tuned that will pass emissions for you. No other Mods. You pay shipping both ways that is all.
I can send you the bin file if you would like?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:42 AM
Banned

I'm sending TC an email to see if he can do something for me.
TC will not help you.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CalEditor
Sorry I forgot about this.

Closely inspect the top of the fuel filler. I have been ordering about 3 a month for corrosion. They have been rusting out. The Purge solenoid won't set that DTC. The Vent Solenoid will. I have replace about 1 a year over the last 5 years. The Fuel Tank Pressure sensor will set this DTC also. It usually set more DTC's with it. I have replace a ton of these, but only a few in the last 2 years. This is easy to replace. You have a trap door in the trunk.

I would look at that Orginal Gas Cap for cracks in the sealing ring and the rust/bumps at the top of the filler.
I have a filler and cap to replace today.

Vent Valve is around the front of the LR control arm

If you need I can loan you a PCM Tuned that will pass emissions for you. No other Mods. You pay shipping both ways that is all.
I can send you the bin file if you would like?
Much appreciate the input. Ok sound like the vent solenoid might be a good start. I checked the filler neck, looked good, and tried a replacement gas cap. The car isn't too old ('03), nor has that many miles (44k). Last I checked and cleared the codes, I was only seeing 0440. Did pull the pump access panel in the trunk to take a gander. Actually if you have an EVAP schematic for that car, it would be a huge help. I don't have an FSM for this car, but looking at the FSM for my T/A, something looks amiss with the EVAP lines at the tank and fuel pump. There are 3 lines supposed to be going to the fuel pump assmebly - supply, return, and EVAP. The EVAP line in the center is apparently not connected. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

Also this started to rear its head a few months ago. I would get the "Check Gas Cap" message intermittently. Then it would be present long enough to throw the SES, but after awhile the SES would dissappear for a week or so, and then start coming back. For about the past 3 months, its been there full time. Not sure if based on that you can offer any more advice on trouble-shooting. But appreciate you saving me the cost of a new purge solenoid!

Appreciate the offer, I'll keep you in mind if I haven't fixed it by January. Ideally I'd rather address the root cause, but if a bandage gets me through emissions I'll take it.

Apologies for getting into Caddy stuff on an LSx board, but in my years here, I've found Tech to have the best GM minds out there!

EDIT: Oh, is this AJ from the Caddy forums? Didn't realize that until after I posted.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CalEditor
TC will not help you.
You are correct.......
Old 10-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Banned

Much appreciate the input. Ok sound like the vent solenoid might be a good start. I checked the filler neck, looked good, and tried a replacement gas cap. The car isn't too old ('03), nor has that many miles (44k). Last I checked and cleared the codes, I was only seeing 0440. Did pull the pump access panel in the trunk to take a gander. Actually if you have an EVAP schematic for that car, it would be a huge help. I don't have an FSM for this car, but looking at the FSM for my T/A, something looks amiss with the EVAP lines at the tank and fuel pump. There are 3 lines supposed to be going to the fuel pump assmebly - supply, return, and EVAP. The EVAP line in the center is apparently not connected. Not sure if it's supposed to be like that.

Also this started to rear its head a few months ago. I would get the "Check Gas Cap" message intermittently. Then it would be present long enough to throw the SES, but after awhile the SES would dissappear for a week or so, and then start coming back. For about the past 3 months, its been there full time. Not sure if based on that you can offer any more advice on trouble-shooting. But appreciate you saving me the cost of a new purge solenoid!

Appreciate the offer, I'll keep you in mind if I haven't fixed it by January. Ideally I'd rather address the root cause, but if a bandage gets me through emissions I'll take it.

Apologies for getting into Caddy stuff on an LSx board, but in my years here, I've found Tech to have the best GM minds out there!

EDIT: Oh, is this AJ from the Caddy forums? Didn't realize that until after I posted.

(1) Positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) Valve
(2) Secondary air injection (AIR) Shutoff Valve Bank 1
(3) AIR Vacuum Solenoid Valve
(4) Fuel Pressure Regulator
(5) Evaporative emission (EVAP) Purge Pipe to EVAP Canister
(6) EVAP Canister Purge Valve
(7) Throttle Body
(8) AIR Shut-off Valve Bank 2
(9) Intake Manifold

(1) EVAP Canister Purge Solenoid
(2) EVAP Canister
(3) Fuel Fill Neck/Fill Cap
(4) Rollover Valve/Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor
(5) Fuel Tank
(6) EVAP Canister Vent Solenoid
(7) Vent Hose/Pipe
(8) EVAP Vapor Pipe
(9) EVAP Purge Pipe
(10) EVAP Service Port
Old 10-30-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you tell by a tank pressure / leakdown
test or something, whether it's a true leak
or just a(nother) bad pressure sensor? Do
any pull-n-reseat on the connectors for the
tank sensors, etc.?

Last edited by jimmyblue; 10-30-2008 at 02:04 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, tried reseating the pressure sensor connection, no luck. I know the FSM procedure specifies filling the line with N2 pressure and monitoring for leak. I can obtain some nitrogen if need be, I may give it a shot. Just ordered a vent solenoid from GMPartsdirect for $18. We'll see if that works.

AJ, thanks for the schematics. What I really could use is a picture showing the detail for the EVAP hose routing at the top of the gas tank, especially up to and including the fuel pump unit. Trying to make sense of the line routing, and why the middle of the 3 hose connections at the tank has nothing attached.

Quick Reply: Can LSx tuners tune other GM PCM's?