PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing bad PCM means using more credits? (HP Tuners)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing bad PCM means using more credits? (HP Tuners)

Hi all,

I suspect that my PCM is glitching out. If it becomes necessary that I must replace it, how do I handle this with HP Tuners? Can I flash my file onto the new (used) PCM without using more credits? Or is it required to have the dealer flash it with my correct VIN and bin file before doing so?

I tried searching for this, but came up with nothing. Surely someone has dealt with this after "bricking" a PCM.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-10-2009, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not too long ago, the PCM's for 99-02's were pretty cheap on EBAY. They would even Flash it with your Vin#. My local Dealer wants $85 to reflash my 1998 with the stock tune.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Banned

I went on car-part.com and found a junkyard with a computer listed for my car.
I went and asked for a computer for my specific year make model, they gave me something out of a truck. I said look you list that you have one, can I have the one out of this peticular car. They said any GM dealer, or most parts stores can flash my programming into a truck computer.

At least 5 GM dealers said they could not do anything like that, same with the parts stores. In fact the parts stores told me if I bought a new one from them, I'd have to take it to a dealer before I could use it.

SO I told them to get me the computer out of the car, they eventually did. I matched it up using the service number and the four letter calibration code.

As long as you get a computer out of a similiar vehicle, it has the same service number and calibration code and it's the same year as your HP Tuners, then you can do whatever you want with it. You can change your own vin.

I paid $85 for this. I already had my original tunes (bin files) on disc so it was just a matter of loading one up. First I read what was in the computer I bought, it had a hypertech tune in it.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you are mistaken, you may want to go to the tuners web site. Your license is tied to a internal code of the PCM, it has nothing to do with the part number, cal, or broadcast code. It will be another $50 to swap to a new PCM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$50, it it down to 1 credit now? I thought ls1 cars were 2 credits.

They lock to the vin, (changable) and the pcm serial number (not changable)

Ryan
Old 03-11-2009, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My error, it is 2 credits, $100.00
Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 AM
TECH Regular

Okay, so it looks at the VIN serial #? (Is that the OSID#?)

So lets say hypothetically I buy a PCM out of an '01 Sierra 5.3. The PCM is the same part #, but obviously a different calibration/tune. IF I throw this into my Camaro, spend the $100 on two credits, can I flash this PCM to the original file that came with my car? This way I'd at least save on getting the PCM reflashed at a dealer.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:50 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
Okay, so it looks at the VIN serial #? (Is that the OSID#?)

So lets say hypothetically I buy a PCM out of an '01 Sierra 5.3. The PCM is the same part #, but obviously a different calibration/tune. IF I throw this into my Camaro, spend the $100 on two credits, can I flash this PCM to the original file that came with my car? This way I'd at least save on getting the PCM reflashed at a dealer.
Correct.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

not necessarily true, you may have to license the pcm twice, since you need to license the current pcm tune, (01 truck) and then to the new camaro vin.

Easiest method, just buy a pcm from wait4me with your vin already programmed, probably the same or similar cost to a junkyard unit.

They license to the pcm serial number, and the vin. So if either changes, its a new vehicle to them.

Ryan
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slow
not necessarily true, you may have to license the pcm twice, since you need to license the current pcm tune, (01 truck) and then to the new camaro vin.

Easiest method, just buy a pcm from wait4me with your vin already programmed, probably the same or similar cost to a junkyard unit.

They license to the pcm serial number, and the vin. So if either changes, its a new vehicle to them.

Ryan
Well keep in mind I have already assigned credits to my existing Camaro PCM calibration/tune and have that calibration saved to my laptop. Would that still be the case, then?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Maybe Bill will post, but this is my understanding.

If you want to flash a 2001 truck pcm, you need to license it as a 2001 truck.
If you flash it as a 2001 camaro, you then need to license it as a 2001 camaro.

Now there is always a chance, that since your flashing it with your 2001 camaro file already licensed, that it will change the serial number to your old 2001 camaro pcm, and then not require new credits. I know if you are starting with a brand new cable, it will burn 4 credits for this, but you may only use 2,

Ryan
Old 03-11-2009, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
I think you are mistaken, you may want to go to the tuners web site. Your license is tied to a internal code of the PCM, it has nothing to do with the part number, cal, or broadcast code. It will be another $50 to swap to a new PCM.
I hope you're not saying I'm mistaken. Are you?
Because I already did this. My license isn't tied to ****, you know why?
I don't know why, I guess HP Tuners started screwing people with their updates? I don't know. I stopped updating mine, and I still have the serial interface. I can tune any ANY 2002 f body that has a 2002 VCM. And I can also tune my 2001 F Body that has a 2002 VCM. Plus any 2004 GTO

I don't know if they slipped that little stranglehold in an update that I didn't get, but my hp tuners works just as it did back in 2004 when I got it, I did update it a year ago, I'm using version 2.22.3042.xxxxx

Back to the OT you can't swap a truck VCM to a F Body VCM using hp tuners. I'll dig up the old conversation I had about this before if it's still around.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:17 PM
Banned

Bill answered it my above suggestion with a YES.

I read this briefly, it's just a bunch of BS I had to deal with to put a 2002 VCM in my 2001. I should have never asked and just done it.

This is what I did. Needed a 2002 f body VCM, got a 2002 f body vcm from a junkyard, pulled the hypertec tune out, loaded a stock tune, modified the stock tune. Never a problem. I don't know what the big deal is, unless like I said hp tuners sneaked a vin lock into an update so you can no longer have unlimited tuning on one vehicle type.

Or maybe they just screwed up my order and sent me a magic box thingy that'll tune everything.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
TECH Regular

Keep in mind I never bought the model-year license like some people have. I just used the credits towards a single vehicle.

I have a DHP Powrtuner for my V6 W-body, and I can flash my licensed tune to any PCM as long as the original and new PCM have the same part #. I'll initially get an error such as "WTF PCM is this? NOT SUPPORTED" but it doesn't matter after I flash and rewrite it. This doesn't seem to be the case with HPTuners I guess.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:31 PM
TECH Regular

I just remembered my login info to the HP Tuners site and found a deinite answer from Bill. Looks like I'll have to use credits and register the replacement PCM.

View it Here

I just need confirmation that I can put my '00 Camaro program into any PCM of the same hardware/part #, then I can probably find one at my junkyard (if it comes to that)
Old 03-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Banned

So it looks like if I update my stuff I'll be losing a lot, and I'll end up having to pay for stuff I can do for free now.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhedalert
I just remembered my login info to the HP Tuners site and found a deinite answer from Bill. Looks like I'll have to use credits and register the replacement PCM.

View it Here

I just need confirmation that I can put my '00 Camaro program into any PCM of the same hardware/part #, then I can probably find one at my junkyard (if it comes to that)
Yeah as long as the pcm has valid info in it you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 03-11-2009, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
So it looks like if I update my stuff I'll be losing a lot, and I'll end up having to pay for stuff I can do for free now.
No comment?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 9000th01ss
No comment?
Why not just buy the same year model pcm that you have already licensed?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

The dealer replaced my 98 PCM last year and I didn't need anything new from HPT. I downloaded the stock program (which I never was given with two previous 'professional' tunes), transferred the tables, backed out of their service bay and went home. *shrug*

Quick Reply: Replacing bad PCM means using more credits? (HP Tuners)