PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 SS won't pull more than 45-4700 RPM at track?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 SS won't pull more than 45-4700 RPM at track?

Hello everyone I am in need of some help. I purchased a 98 SS Camaro about a year ago that has some mods on it but I am not exactly sure of everything that is done to it but I was hoping that you guys can help me figure out what might be wrong with the car. I can get it to red line while reving it up and launching it in 1st gear. when I shift to second and third it won't pull up past 45-4700 RPM. The car was supposed to have a Hypertech tuner, but I didn't get the controller. So I am not sure if it really had one or not. It is supposed to have a 160 degree thermostat, lid and a Moser 9in with 4.11 rearend. I believe it has an aftermarket torque arm and subframe connectors. It has Flowmaster exhaust as well. It has a few other things but nothing that I feel will make much of a difference in the E.T. The car doesn't have a mis and seems to run alright on the street yet when I get on it, it seems to me like it doesn't have as much power as when I first bought it, (Might be my imagination).

My best time last nite was
9.77 ET
73.2 MPH
.139 RT
2.41 60ft ET
6.42 330ft ET

1/8 mile
How is this for numbers? All replys will be very helpful and can post pics of car if you think its necessary.

Thankyou,
Chris.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

where were you running? were you spinning?

those numbers blow to be frank and honest...my old small block 350 could run 9.2@75-77 mph with a 2.2 60ft in the middle of texas summer (humid and 90+ degrees)...this is in a car that had a raceweight of nearly 3900lbs

I have never seen a ls1 car run slower than 9.0 in the 1/8th, and most have been 8.8 or faster.

change the fuel filter, check to make sure you have wide open throttle (pedal is opening the blade all the way to the stop on the throttle body), check plugs...I dunno but something is definitely BAD wrong unless you are running at a really high elevation or towing a trailer
Old 06-28-2009, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Have someone scan the system, and go from there.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 98 Likes on 68 Posts

Replace fuel filter.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You really want to scan it under the problem conditions,
it might be the original, crappy style, corroded knock
sensors giving you a whole bunch of KR that you just can't
drive through. That RPM range is where they tend to freak
out, if they are bad.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:38 PM
Teching In

Where would I go to get it scanned? I have a friend who owns a tranny shop and has a Snap On scanner. Would that diagnose the problem? When you mean under problem conditions do I need to have him riding with me when i am trying to get the car to repeat condition? What is the knock sensor and how much are they to replace?
Old 06-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Hey Thunderstruck I agree, I thought it seemed pretty slow myself. It is my first time running it at a track with print outs with my numbers. I am pretty sure the car ran ALOT harder when I bought it than it is now, but wasn't for sure since I don't get to drive the car very often. That is one of the reasons I took it out Fri. nite to see what it would do so I could compare to you guys so I knew where to start for future mods. I am in Iowa, so it was hot and humid conditions as well. I was at the Iowa Speedway, they have test n tunes on Friday nites down pit road. Pretty cool place to drag race if you ask me. I will get the camaro scanned this week and see what I find out. Thank you guys for all the replys. I really didn't know what to think except I was disapointed and didn't know what to do next.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Hey Jimmy Blue, when I get my camaro scanned will it show if I have that hypertech programmer? I would like to confirm weither or not I have it. If the scanner won't detect it, how do I find out if it has a programmer in it?

Thanx again,

Chris.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes the snap on scanner should let you have a look. I'm going to guess it's a MT2500 that looks like a big red brick with rubber ends.

Have someone ride with you and watch for knock retard, timing advance, throttle position, maf grams/sec, incoming air temp, just to name a few. Your friend will prolly know what to do. If not I'm sure some more knowledgeable people here will chime in with key points to watch or you could also just tell him to look for anything that stands out as abnormal.

Does the car have cats? They could be clogged. If you don't drive it much the fuel could be bad or gelled up. Just some ideas to get you started, I'm no expert so don't take it as such.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Teching In

thanks again thunderstruck. I think the name of the scanner is MODUS? I am not for sure but I will continue to post as info comes in or more questions arrive. As for the fuel, it shouldn't of been too old, but I didn't have that much in the car either, I did look at car again and noticed that behind the lid pulled apart from plumbing to throttle body. Do think that was it. I am gonna put it back together, but just thought it was a cpu problem since it will rev to red line in first or sitn still but not in 2nd or 3rd.

Thanx again,

Chris.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:47 PM
Teching In

Well, I have changed the fuel filter and still no luck. The scanner was showing low voltage and I think the battery is junk so I will replace that, but I am still in the dark with the car. I tried to get my friend to scan while driving the car, but he wanted to drive it himself. So now I am gonna have him scan it while I am driving it to see if anything shows up. Any more advice cause my friends are ol school and don't like this computer stuff.

Thanks,
Chris