PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I asking too much of my tuner????

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, I hate to stalk him but searching his posts is golden if you like comedy. Here he argues that longtubes are not worth the money because they are worth 10-15hp and that's it's smarter to get Corvette manifolds instead, it's a really good one: (post 18 on)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...t-got-ls1.html

He has two DOOZIES in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-114-lsa.html

There are more, but I feel dirty following him around like this and reporting back here. Oh, he claims to work as an engineer for GM in one thread, so now we know who designed the Aztek and actually thought it was a good idea. It was probably the theoretically best aerodynamic design ever made, and they had to put the pop out tent in the back for weight to keep it from rocketing to the moon.
Old 08-20-2009, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Wow, I hate to stalk him but searching his posts is golden if you like comedy. Here he argues that longtubes are not worth the money because they are worth 10-15hp and that's it's smarter to get Corvette manifolds instead, it's a really good one: (post 18 on)
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-o...t-got-ls1.html

He has two DOOZIES in this thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...s-114-lsa.html

There are more, but I feel dirty following him around like this and reporting back here. Oh, he claims to work as an engineer for GM in one thread, so now we know who designed the Aztek and actually thought it was a good idea. It was probably the theoretically best aerodynamic design ever made, and they had to put the pop out tent in the back for weight to keep it from rocketing to the moon.
That's pure comedy. I would bet he ain't the janitor at a GM engineering department.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Nice work. And that's a really nice ride you put together there. Stonabones you care to share what the bill was?

And I think we now have the answer to your original question: No
Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Mostmint... If you're asking what the final build bill is I really have no idea. If I added everything up it would make me sick, ya know? If you're asking what Virginia Speed's final bill was I can just tell you that it was more than fair! If you can't tell yet, I love Virginia Speed!!!

I have tons of time and money into my car and really didnt start enloying it until Ed got his hands on it... Thanks again Ed...

Last edited by stonabones; 08-20-2009 at 09:46 PM. Reason: oops
Old 08-21-2009, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Don't add it all up! I completely agree about that. Everyone knows what they can afford.

Just trying to get an idea what ballpark we're in on the tune. My brother just had a tune done locally on his 98 C5 and he is happy with the results. It set him back about $550. The difference is your car is heavily modified and his is not (did not open the engine up at all), so I figure the tune would cost more but how much?

Whatever you paid it sounds like it was worth it. It helped you get the car where it should be after all the other work.

Don't count all the prior not successful tunes either. Those are all water under the bridge.

Whatever happens get us some updated numbers next time you run it - I assume the top end performance got better also.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

I had them do mechanical work in addition to just tuning the car chich brought the final bill up a little. I'm pretty sure the tunes were about $750 in total. Ed gave us a normally aspirated tune, a tune with a small n2o shot and a tune with a larger shot... Like I said, we did pay a little more, but it was for other work and a new drag radial the Ed found a deep slice in the tread of one on the car (good eye Ed! especially when my friend who was with me is a tire dealer and he didnt see it... I'll let him slide though - he builds and catches everything else on the car... Thanks Mark!!!) Anyhow, Virginia Speed gave me so much more than I ever expected... How often do we hear that? If you need any performance work, GO TO VIRGINIA SPEED! you wont be dissapointed!

Last edited by stonabones; 08-22-2009 at 09:57 AM. Reason: added to it
Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Staging Lane

Sounds reasonable for all the work that was done. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Launching!

haha thats fine. You can stalk me and talk all the junk you want on me.

When it comes to the end of the day I know I am better than you. So thats fine. I haven't graduated yet but I have a year left and I am 20. I am getting paid for school which is fine by me.

I have a few cars. I can do my own tunes, I probably know the drivetrains and software and logic better. If I give you guys a head ache its because you aren't educated, like Gectek. Hahahahahaha he knows his stuff.

You are right though I have no idea how to build cars. I just have two that are over 600 hp my own builds. One that can go 9's. Before even out of college??? HMM I have no idea just built my first car at 15.

I will still say you guys have no understanding of long tubes which is amusing so make fun of me but until one of you can explain them just stop.

I aspire to be like all of you. An onwer of my shop, a magazine junkie like gectek claims to be, someone who beleives they are right above all without an education. There is a reason for different income levels and different contributions to society. I have no need to try and help any of you out.

I will always build better cars than you guys... but just keep reading your magazines and trusting the vendors .... I'll use my knowledge and education.

We can talk boosted applications too... Doing a calibration and control project right now. Setting it up on a VGT DCVCP SIDI engine but not sure you guys understand. Come do my job for me then tell me I make up my ****.

I could do a simulation right now and show you that you guys are full of it and verify my results, but someone would chime in and say desktop dyno then I would same something about CFD and the likes and we would start all over.

Have a good time guys, feel good about yourselves and turning wrenches and tunes without educations. Go have yourselves a beer or something and feel good about stalking a 20 year old on the internet because he upset you and insulted your intelligence.

If you have problems with what I said post them all and I will tell you about it and whats up. I am sure you guys know it all though.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:13 AM
Launching!

hey baddz go search wikipedia lol maybe you will understand that headers increase scavenging effects by allowing better distribution of exhaust blow down pulses and flow straightening through the long pipe. That being said Corvette manifolds that actually have longer runners will allow flow recovery.

Cross talk occurs in stock manifolds but the affect is very minimal due to larger LSA's which leads to a decrease in overlap duration which results in less reverse flow and ultimately less risiduals.

Cam phasing is used on production motors to retard timing and allows a larger % throttle opening at part throttle because of the later exhaust valve closing. The lower delta p across the throttle body signifcantly reduces pumping losses at part load and uses increased residuals from the later closing to increase fuel economy.

There is no need for headers on a production motor without a signifcant cam change which could be a number of event changes but mainly an increase in duration which leads to a lower LSA creating larger overlaps allowing for more flow through the intake because of the lower pressure at the exhaust port which drives flow. This lower pressure wouldn't be present in manifolds but will be in a headers. Manifolds mainly suffering from large expansion rates that allow for cross talk meaning one cylinder's blow down period interferring with another cylinders closing.

Headers have larger gains on v8's because of the split banks. And each exahust even is roughly around 180-200 degrees duration lashed. Small blocks have larger durations due to flow characterisitics and risiduals. That being said that equals about 720-800 degrees of exhaust events per bank which the crank angle passes through 720 per firing event.... Leading to equal or very close to equal distribution compared to the worst being an inline 6's because you have 1000+ degrees of exhaust events so you will clearly have pressure fluctations int he collector which will cause issues in flow obviously.

Also leads to why tiwn turbos are on v6's but when have you seen a production twin turbo'd v8 its because the exhaust event's create disturbances in turbo which either leads to T/S applications our ultimately 4 turbos because of 1-5 cross talk and other cylinders. The v8's not having even firing to properly spool and maintain turbo speed.
I don't know **** though.

Last edited by Radcannon; 08-24-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Radcannon
haha thats fine. You can stalk me and talk all the junk you want on me.

When it comes to the end of the day I know I am better than you. So thats fine. I haven't graduated yet but I have a year left and I am 20. I am getting paid for school which is fine by me.

I have a few cars. I can do my own tunes, I probably know the drivetrains and software and logic better. If I give you guys a head ache its because you aren't educated, like Gectek. Hahahahahaha he knows his stuff.

You are right though I have no idea how to build cars. I just have two that are over 600 hp my own builds. One that can go 9's. Before even out of college??? HMM I have no idea just built my first car at 15.

I will still say you guys have no understanding of long tubes which is amusing so make fun of me but until one of you can explain them just stop.

I aspire to be like all of you. An onwer of my shop, a magazine junkie like gectek claims to be, someone who beleives they are right above all without an education. There is a reason for different income levels and different contributions to society. I have no need to try and help any of you out.

I will always build better cars than you guys... but just keep reading your magazines and trusting the vendors .... I'll use my knowledge and education.

We can talk boosted applications too... Doing a calibration and control project right now. Setting it up on a VGT DCVCP SIDI engine but not sure you guys understand. Come do my job for me then tell me I make up my ****.

I could do a simulation right now and show you that you guys are full of it and verify my results, but someone would chime in and say desktop dyno then I would same something about CFD and the likes and we would start all over.

Have a good time guys, feel good about yourselves and turning wrenches and tunes without educations. Go have yourselves a beer or something and feel good about stalking a 20 year old on the internet because he upset you and insulted your intelligence.

If you have problems with what I said post them all and I will tell you about it and whats up. I am sure you guys know it all though.
hey baddz go search wikipedia lol maybe you will understand that headers increase scavenging effects by allowing better distribution of exhaust blow down pulses and flow straightening through the long pipe. That being said Corvette manifolds that actually have longer runners will allow flow recovery.

Cross talk occurs in stock manifolds but the affect is very minimal due to larger LSA's which leads to a decrease in overlap duration which results in less reverse flow and ultimately less risiduals.

Cam phasing is used on production motors to retard timing and allows a larger % throttle opening at part throttle because of the later exhaust valve closing. The lower delta p across the throttle body signifcantly reduces pumping losses at part load and uses increased residuals from the later closing to increase fuel economy.

There is no need for headers on a production motor without a signifcant cam change which could be a number of event changes but mainly an increase in duration which leads to a lower LSA creating larger overlaps allowing for more flow through the intake because of the lower pressure at the exhaust port which drives flow. This lower pressure wouldn't be present in manifolds but will be in a headers. Manifolds mainly suffering from large expansion rates that allow for cross talk meaning one cylinder's blow down period interferring with another cylinders closing.

Headers have larger gains on v8's because of the split banks. And each exahust even is roughly around 180-200 degrees duration lashed. Small blocks have larger durations due to flow characterisitics and risiduals. That being said that equals about 720-800 degrees of exhaust events per bank which the crank angle passes through 720 per firing event.... Leading to equal or very close to equal distribution compared to the worst being an inline 6's because you have 1000+ degrees of exhaust events so you will clearly have pressure fluctations int he collector which will cause issues in flow obviously.

Also leads to why tiwn turbos are on v6's but when have you seen a production twin turbo'd v8 its because the exhaust event's create disturbances in turbo which either leads to T/S applications our ultimately 4 turbos because of 1-5 cross talk and other cylinders. The v8's not having even firing to properly spool and maintain turbo speed.
What an idiot.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Radcannon just go back to you simulator and leave us alone. You have your head SO far up your *** it isn't even funny. Just because you are educated doesn't mean you know **** about the aftermarket performace world. In fact you are probably brain washed into what the government wants out of cars for EPA stuff.

Stop trying to tell everyone that they are wrong when things are proven to be right by dynos and track times(real world results).

To the OP I am glad VA Speed got you all set. I have heard nothing but great things from these guys.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Banned

Hey Radconnon, your problem is the same alot of young college kids have. You think that your education, and what you've learned in books rule the real world. When in fact, most of the time, it's far from reality.

Real world results say a set of long tubes and high flow cats will make upwards of 30 rwhp on an LS3 everyday of the week. We see it ALL THE TIME!

If you're college educated, and so far ahead of the game, why does your grammar suck?

You have no idea my education, so don't talk to me like you're better than me. You come on here, and talk a bunch of ****, get called out by multiple people, yet it's all of us that are ignorant. RIIIIIGGGHHHHTTT!
Old 08-24-2009, 03:46 PM
7 Second Club

Received 303 Likes on 203 Posts

Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.................................................. ........

/life
Attached Thumbnails Am I asking too much of my tuner????-kid-awesome.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Haha thats a sweet pic.

I was debating headers not cats but ok, and you are right I do not know your education. Cats are usually a 20+ kpa bottle neck which will add 10+ hp right there.

Math and physics define the real world. Every occurrence can be defined by it just as every one can be simulated, and it is also why the uneducated in America are quickly loosing jobs and many wonder why. We are no longer manufacturing but a processing economy, IT and so forth. I have been hands on for over 2 years now but ok. I do know my **** despite what people want to think on an internet forum. A reason I get paid and got a job and why in two years I will know a lot more. Every day is a chance to learn and understand, but I simply disagree with the headers on a stock car and to the way I was told I knew nothing about tuning... which is quiet amusing but ok, and I will respond back defensively to being attacked that is who I am. More power to you if you don't.

Really some of you guys are pretty cool. I like how you feel free to respond without saying anything before. Haha didn't expect you to understand headers.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:59 PM
11 Second Club

If you want to disagree with people who have been working on cars and tuning in the real world since you were in diapers, why not make a trip to one of their shops and prove them wrong? No one here cares or believes in your education so stop spewing your nonsense. The simple fact is you can't simulate PROOF. And many of the things you disagree with have been proven time and time and time again by people with much more experience and intelligence than you. So please do everyone a favor and stop this now.

Why isn't this deleted yet? This dip **** has littered it with bad info that is going to confuse the hell out of less educated beginners.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do we need to point out that you thought when people referred to an underdrive that it was a function of the tune as opposed to an actual installed part? Yeah, we all think you know nothing about tuning and we only think that because you proved it to us.

BTW I was a Math major in college, minor in secondary education. After that endeavor, I have been in the real world learning the difference between theories and results for 6 years and have learned WAY more than college ever taught me. The people you are arguing with not only have the education, they have the experience. Every time you post, you prove further that you have neither.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

Every occurrence can be defined by it just as every one can be simulated,
While you're simulating, we're building cars. I have graphs that show rwhp before and after header installs on SEVERAL LS3 powered Vettes. How many graphs do you have that verify your "facts"?

And as an up and coming engineer, thinking underdrive is "a tune thing", boy, that really speaks volumes to your level of expertise and education. Hope you ain't payin for that kind of edumacation!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy Crap. I got into it with RedCannon in the Header thread a while ago when he first started posting and I was stunned by the kind of posts he was delivering. He kept posting all this stuff about his degrees and schooling he has to argue his point. I finally got fed up and left the thread. I'm glad everyone finally called this guy out. I knew there was something fishy about all his posts.

RedCannon, I don't know what your problem is or who you actually are, I'm confused in your posts where you say your 21 and have all this education but then claim your 19? I'm also appauled by the way you talk to others on this site.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:22 PM
Launching!

I deleted my post maybe some of you were fortunate enough to see it before.

I really don't care what any of you guys think. Bottom line I will be designing and already have made major contributions on some products that you guys work on and think you know so much more about than me, and I know the majority of the people that released them. I think they know close to 50x's more than the majority of you making these changes and that might be an understatement.

Have fun, being fed up with yourselves, and telling someone younger than you they are stupid because I guarantee you its me and my friends who will be employed making large amounts more than you and who will probably even be paying you in the next few years. Its obvious to someone with a theoretical/real world understanding what I am saying, but you probably know best. I do applaud the every day working man though whose hobby is cars but don't tell the engineers you know better and their education is worthless, its an insult which this all started about. I can't believe the ignorance in this country and people wonder why we outsource and our engineering and chemical and technical jobs are populated by foreigners. Look no further than this thread and you will see the cause of it.

Last edited by Radcannon; 08-24-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Am I asking too much of my tuner????