Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner Vs. EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HP Tuner Vs. EFI Live

I have a 99 ta and my buddy has a 02 camaro, we are thinking about going halves on a tuner, which would work better HP Tuner or EFI Live? his as been tuned before with just cam install, hes having a few problems and i have heads/cam, 92mm intake/tb, 42# injectors with no tune. im running stock injectors right now because its not tuned. Which one of these tuners is going to work better, which one is easier?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both would serve you will with that said our interface starts at a lower price point and you will likely offer real time tuning for just the price of a custom operating system for those two vehicles.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like Bill said, both are more than capable. I love my HPT. Don't know how i went without it.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

are they hard to use? i dont know much about tuning, i was just going to take my car to a dyno and have them do it, but theres only one place around my area that can and their shop isnt opening until mid april
Old 03-14-2010, 10:22 PM
12 Second Club

I switched from EFILive to HPTuners recently. HPT has a much more active forum and support staff that helps out. Plus almost all the "learn to tune" books, DVDs, live seminars, and other information is HPTuners based.

My tune is 1000% better since I switched to HPTuners, although I did purchase extra "learn to tune" books to aid me in learning quickly. There is a fairly steep learning curve for any tuning, dont think its going to work like a handheld tuner where you click a few buttons and go....
Old 03-14-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

baddbird99, I bought EFI Live V1 because it has a stand alone black box for data logging. It was only $250 for that black box and software. Believe me when I tell you it is very convenient to simply connect the cable and bb rather than a laptop every time I want to check things out. I later purchased the tuning portion of the suite for an additional $300. What I'm trying to impress upon you is to do the research and concentrate on the differences because there are so many similarities.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
baddbird99, I bought EFI Live V1 because it has a stand alone black box for data logging. It was only $250 for that black box and software. Believe me when I tell you it is very convenient to simply connect the cable and bb rather than a laptop every time I want to check things out.
That reminds me..... HPTuners does that too, I need to set it up....

The real time tuning of HPtuners is a cool feature too, with EFILive I had to buy $600ish in Moates extra hardware/software.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys, sounds like HP Tuner is a better option, im going to do a little more research. Will this eliminate my need for dyno tuning? We both plan on hitting a dyno eventually to fine tune our tune, but in the mean time i need a tune period and he needs to adjust his a little more.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SweetS10V8
That reminds me..... HPTuners does that too, I need to set it up....

The real time tuning of HPtuners is a cool feature too, with EFILive I had to buy $600ish in Moates extra hardware/software.
I'm not referring to Roadrunner real time tuning. As far as I can see, HP Tuners does not have a stand alone black box like the V1. Can you point us to that feature on their web site? I've been looking but cannot find it. Also, I don't understand what you mean about setting it up. With EFI Live V1, it is a feature of the hardware cable and you simply press a button to start recording data. I must have missed something so what is the equivalent with HP Tuners?
Old 03-15-2010, 05:05 AM
TECH Regular

I have had HPtuners for about 4 yrs. Recently I upgraded my Vette to the 2Bar SD tune. The Real Time Tuning is such a nice feature. I had my RAF table done in 15 mins. VE table took alittle longer, but I had a buddy drive while I adjusted the VE table. My AFR is a consistant 14.6-14.8 when cruising.

So another +1 for HPtuners and the HPtuners forum is nice. The tune repository and help section makes things a breeze.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:15 AM
12 Second Club

HPT does not have a black box, but they do have real time tuning so you don't have to flash the pcm what change you want for it. I am unsure if EFI live has this feature.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

I dont see it on their site, but here is a thread talking about it, and their "how to" setup stand alone logging.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...dalone+logging

http://www.hptuners.com/help/demos/s...onelogging.swf
Old 03-15-2010, 07:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt the thing on the left a stand alone black box? i downloaded the efi demo and bought the hp pro. http://www.hptuners.com/images/p_vcmscanner.jpg
Old 03-15-2010, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

I dont see it on their site, but here is a thread talking about it, and their "how to" setup stand alone logging.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...dalone+logging

http://www.hptuners.com/help/demos/s...onelogging.swf
I haven't looked into that i still have the serial interface.
But good to know.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

My tune is 1000% better since I switched to HPTuners, although I did purchase extra "learn to tune" books to aid me in learning quickly.
Sorry, but that's misleading and implies just by switching to HPT your tune is now "1000% better". You could have gotten the same exact results with EFILive had you applied the same knowledge you acquired from the books.

The EFILive standalone black box datalogging is a very nice feature so you don't have to lug a laptop around when driving, and especially nice at the track, where most tracks don't allow laptops when racing. They also have the serial (digital) cable option to connect the WB directly to the BBL. Hopefully they will bring the black box tuning option out shortly as well.

OP - Do your research and make an informed decision. Either software can get the desired results your are looking for, so usually it comes down to personal preference.

p.s. They type of threads usually get locked here. I'm surprised it went on for this long.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hpt pro mpvi has 4 analog (wide band etc) ins and 2 outs (rpm etc) with datalogging. just sayin
Old 03-15-2010, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
HPT does not have a black box, but they do have real time tuning so you don't have to flash the pcm what change you want for it. I am unsure if EFI live has this feature.
As one would expect these competitive packages run neck and neck. EFI Live uses Moats Roadrunner to do the on-the-fly tuning. It is a separate purchase that I have not made.

I do wish I could afford to examine both HP Tuners and EFI Live so I'm hoping the thread doesn't get locked and I can get the knowledge of this experience from other posters.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrkPhx
Sorry, but that's misleading and implies just by switching to HPT your tune is now "1000% better". You could have gotten the same exact results with EFILive had you applied the same knowledge you acquired from the books.
How is it missleading? I said I bought extra items to help me. Earlier i mentioned how everything leans toward HPTuners as far as help.

If he doesnt know that EFILive and HPTuners for the most part do the same thing, then he shouldnt be tuning on his own. It comes down to selecting what one is more suited to you, and for me the extra help avaliable has made it worth while for the switch to HPTuners. I still use EFILive too because I can take what Ive learned using HPTuners and apply it to EFILive.
Old 03-15-2010, 12:20 PM
Banned

We use HP tuners to tune all of our cars.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
We use HP tuners to tune all of our cars.

thats nice to know but i dont think that will help OP at all.

the way i see it, is they both do the EXACT same thing if you know how,what, and why to tune then you should be good going wither way.

in the end they do the same thing, but i would suggest downloading efi live and hptuners (not sure about hp tuners) software to "mess around" with befire you purchase any one.

Quick Reply: HP Tuner Vs. EFI Live