Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune or mechanical problem ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Tune or mechanical problem ???

Some back round info... My car has been tuned mostly for WOT, havent had the time to get to the part throttle and idle very much. The car has been idleing around 800-850 rpms, no problems. This weekend I took it out and after 2 hours of driving I came to a stop light, pushed the clutch in and the car died. So I get her home and it dies a few more times on the way. Now the car will barely idle, the rpms will hang around 500 and my air/fuel wide band pegs at 17-1 A/F (LEAN) then the rpms will slowly rise to 8-9 hundred rpms and the A/F goes to 14-1. I havent had time to get it on my lift and start checking things, saturday is the first I will have time. So any one have any ideas on what to start checking first. I have HP tuner but I'm NO tuning expert ( I pay some one to do that). Also my O2 sensors are the original (34K on the clock) So I was thinking that could be my problem. One more thing to add, I am on a SD tune, no more MAF. No SES light either. Coments please, Thanks in advance
Old 06-29-2010, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The first thing that comes to mind is when was the last time your fuel filter was replaced?
Old 06-29-2010, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by gofastwclass
The first thing that comes to mind is when was the last time your fuel filter was replaced?
Fuel filter was replace less than 3,000 miles ago, did it when I put the dual fuel pumps in. Also on the fuel subject, My fuel pressure gauge is a consant 60psi the gauge doesn't drop when the lean condition occurs.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wideband going lean may just be because it is dying - lean may not be a problem at all. First thing I would do is put it in open loop and see if it still does it... that will rule out an O2 sensor problem. Other than that, it may just need idle work. If you post the tune and a log of it running up, someone with HPTuners may be able to help you out...
Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
The wideband going lean may just be because it is dying - lean may not be a problem at all. First thing I would do is put it in open loop and see if it still does it... that will rule out an O2 sensor problem. Other than that, it may just need idle work. If you post the tune and a log of it running up, someone with HPTuners may be able to help you out...
Thats a good point never thought of that. I'll try to log it in idle tomorrow and post it up. The thing that bothers me is this just happend out of no where? The last time I had it on a dyno was last september and it has fired right up and idled with out dying or trying to die since then. On a few of these restarts I had to give it some gas to get it to fire?
Old 06-30-2010, 05:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have both fuel pumps running all the time? or one on a Hobb switch? Might be having a fuel pump issue judging from your starting problem...
Old 06-30-2010, 06:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Do you have both fuel pumps running all the time? or one on a Hobb switch? Might be having a fuel pump issue judging from your starting problem...
I have a hobbs switch running one pump. I can flip flop 2 plugs and that will swap what pump is running all the time and what pump comes on with the hobbs switch. I'll try that today as well. Thanks for the words of wisdom
Old 06-30-2010, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you located ? If your in Tampa, Ill help you look at it.

what are you fuel trims saying?
Old 06-30-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Phil'sC5vette
where are you located ? If your in Tampa, Ill help you look at it.

what are you fuel trims saying?
I appreciate the offer but I live in park city utah, unless you want to make a road trip

Not sure what my fuel trims are. I have to reload HP tuner on my lap top because I upgraded my old cable to the new usb and 2.2 program. I'll try to get the tune and a log down loaded tonight if I can get out of work before dark (gearing up for the 4th ) Thanks man.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok so I finaly got my new hp tuner working. Could some one explain how I post up my tune and a log of it running like ****? Also no dtc's came up on the scan. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here's my tune and a log of the car running.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
Scan1.hpl (57.8 KB, 85 views)
File Type: hpt
Z28 Tune 1.hpt (456.3 KB, 97 views)
Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

To The Top