Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP tuners VCM Suite v1.0 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 12:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP tuners VCM Suite v1.0 Questions

I have the opportunity to purchase an old HP tuners VCM Suite v1.0. Included is the cable, disk and whatever else came with it (0 credits left) I heard you can update this to the newest version, does this automatically happen when you add credits? Also what would this be worth? I know that the credits are $50 a piece and it will cost me 2 credits to tune my 99 trans am but what about the software/hardware? Lastly I have what I believe is the serial number, when I plug it into the hptuners website to access the repository it says that it is invalid. Can anyone confirm that the serial is 10 digits long?

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:01 AM
Staging Lane

Yes it is 10 digits.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Deano1712
Yes it is 10 digits.
Cool thanks! I sent hpt a email to get some more info as well.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The serial cable is no longer supported by HP Tuners. It was never a credit based licensing product. Only the USB version is. You selected model year licenses when you bought it and could add more MY licenses while it was still being supported. You will be stuck with what ever MY licenses are assigned to the cable and will not be able to add more now. You will be able to update the software to V2.22 and future releases but that is all the support you will get.

Last edited by 2xLS1; 04-25-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 288 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by boost21
I have the opportunity to purchase an old HP tuners VCM Suite v1.0. Included is the cable, disk and whatever else came with it (0 credits left) I heard you can update this to the newest version, does this automatically happen when you add credits? Also what would this be worth? I know that the credits are $50 a piece and it will cost me 2 credits to tune my 99 trans am but what about the software/hardware?
Originally Posted by 2xLS1
The serial cable is no longer supported by HP Tuners.
Like 2xLS1 said, that version of HPTuners is no longer supported at all, whether it be for repairs, upgrades or even adding tuning licenses to it. If the setup you are thinking of purchasing does not already have the license for 99 F body LS1 model year on it, then you will NOT be able to tune your car with this setup. You cannot buy a license for your car/VIN with that setup either. To "upgrade" it'll be just like buying new, because that's exactly what you'd have to do...buy the newest USB version. The older version works fine, but whatever licenses are on it now, are all the licenses that you'll ever be able to have...
Old 04-25-2011, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Ok thanks for the info guys, I wont pick this up then. The car it was used on was not a 99 ta so I guess I will have to look into other means of tuning the car.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Like 2xLS1 said, that version of HPTuners is no longer supported at all, whether it be for repairs, upgrades or even adding tuning licenses to it. If the setup you are thinking of purchasing does not already have the license for 99 F body LS1 model year on it, then you will NOT be able to tune your car with this setup. You cannot buy a license for your car/VIN with that setup either. To "upgrade" it'll be just like buying new, because that's exactly what you'd have to do...buy the newest USB version. The older version works fine, but whatever licenses are on it now, are all the licenses that you'll ever be able to have...
In their release saying they were dropping support they said they would continue with software updates. I guess we'll see if they do when 2.24 is released since I still have a serial cable.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by boost21
Ok thanks for the info guys, I wont pick this up then. The car it was used on was not a 99 ta so I guess I will have to look into other means of tuning the car.
I'd certainly double check what licenses are on it. There should have been enough "credit" on it when new, to cover two complete model years, so you may still get lucky

Regarding the old SERIAL version, I know when I originally bought mine 4 years ago, it already had unlimited VIN 2002 LS1 F body (to cover previous owner's car), and I added unlimited VIN 2000 LS1 F body to it (to cover my own car) for no additional money...In fact I also added unlimited VIN 2002 truck, and 2003 Corvette to cover my truck and my buddy's car for like $200 each. I upgraded to the MPVI Pro before the cutoff date and those licenses followed the new software.

What I am getting at is that there still could be quite a few unlimited VIN licenses on that setup, but you'd need to verify that it does or does not cover yours. Simply ask current owner to open HPTuners EDITOR, click on HELP box up top, then click on LICENSE INFO...it'll show what licenses are in it.

See pic below...

Last edited by rel3rd; 02-06-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'd certainly double check what licenses are on it. There should have been enough "credit" on it when new, to cover two complete model years, so you may still get lucky

Regarding the old SERIAL version, I know when I originally bought mine 4 years ago, it already had unlimited VIN 2002 LS1 F body (to cover previous owner's car), and I added unlimited VIN 2000 LS1 F body to it (to cover my own car) for no additional money...In fact I also added unlimited VIN 2002 truck, and 2003 Corvette to cover my truck and my buddy's car for like $200 each. I upgraded to the MPVI Pro before the cutoff date and those licenses followed the new software.

What I am getting at is that there still could be quite a few unlimited VIN licenses on that setup, but you'd need to verify that it does or does not cover yours. Simply ask current owner to open HPTuners EDITOR, click on HELP box up top, then click on LICENSE INFO...it'll show what licenses are in it.

See pic below...
Those of us that bought it when it first came out only got one MY. Then later it was sold new with two MYs. I'm curious how you got a MY added at no additional cost?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:33 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Those of us that bought it when it first came out only got one MY. Then later it was sold new with two MYs. I'm curious how you got a MY added at no additional cost?
No idea my friend. Mine must have been later version? Like I said above, original owner of it had already licensed his 2002 Camaro, which as you know did the whole model year. Then I bought it strictly because it was cheap ($200) and still had the ability to add my model year, 2000, for no extra money.

I was able to add two more model years for $199 each, then it said any more would be $399 each. This was all before the upgrade to MPVI Pro was offered to us.

And you are correct, they say that you'll still get software updates, but nothing else. I think the OP is hoping he can add his car's VIN, or upgrade the setup, but he cannot do either.

Quote from HPTuners:

HP Tuners Sales Support of Serial Interfaces will be discontinued on September 30, 2009.

HP Tuners is discontinuing sales support for the HP Tuners Serial Interfaces. The serial interfaces will continue to be supported by HP Tuners VCM Suite Software Updates, however, customers will no longer be able to order hardware upgrades, license additions, operating system upgrades, or repairs effective September 30, 2009.

There are two methods to identify whether you are affected. The first is if your serial number starts with a letter, or a zero, or is under 10 digits long, you are affected. The other method is to determine if your interface has a USB connector. If your interface does NOT have a USB connector, then you are affected.

If you currently own an HP Tuners Serial Interface, it is highly recommended that you log onto http://www.hptuners.com/customers/login.php and click upgrades to order the upgrade to the MPVI Pro prior to September 30, 2009. Then you must send in your serial interface to the address found on the upgrade page. Your MPVI Pro will ship back to you within 10 business days of receipt of your payment and your serial interface. This upgrade costs 199.00 plus applicable tax and shipping. This price is significantly reduced compared to a new MPVI Pro at $649.00 plus applicable tax and shipping. All of your existing licenses remain intact. You can also take advantage of the credit system for new licenses, which allow new vehicles to be added for less than $100.00 each. You can also add LS2, Ford, and in the future Dodge licenses. None of which can be accomplished with the serial interface.

If you currently own an HP Tuners MPVI Standard or MPVI Pro, you are unaffected by this announcement.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:37 AM
11 Second Club

Amazingly, I just found my old HPTuners disc...It is/was Version 1.7.0

Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

By "serial" are you talking about the physical connector or something different? I was told the one he has connects via a usb
Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

Crap I just read the post by hpt, the first digit is a 0. Guess I definitlly wont be buying it now.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:48 AM
11 Second Club

The version 1.0 would have a serial port connector for plugging into your laptop. Basically, there's a cable that connects between the vehicle's OBD connector and the HPTuners' "dongle", and the cable that connects the dongle to the laptop. That one may have been switched, but that doesn't mean it isn't the old style. The older version also had a BLACK box, or dongle as it's called.

The differences between the older, unsupported versions and the newer version are listed above in the quote from HPTuners.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Just in case someone in the future searches and comes across this thread, here is the response I got from hpt.
V1.0’s are no longer supported ie you cannot purchase licenses or upgrade to the newer hardware. It would be in your best interest to purchase an MPVI interface rather than one of these unsupported serial interfaces.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Amazingly, I just found my old HPTuners disc...It is/was Version 1.7.0

The CD I got with mine originally is 1.3.0.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:50 AM

do you have 1.7 still i know its older but i was wondering if you still have by any chance please

Quick Reply: HP tuners VCM Suite v1.0 Questions