Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchip Flashpaq = amazing gains, but runs rich

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Superchip Flashpaq = amazing gains, but runs rich

So I purchased my 02 SS 6-speed a while back and the previous owner had a handheld superchip tuner. I was kind of skeptical about it considering it was just a "canned tune". He had flashed it back to the stock for me because i had asked him to. Super chips claimed a 32 hp gain with only the reflash alone, and the owner said it will do every bit of it (smh). Only mods done to the car are lid, and catback/ORY.

Well the other day i was fooling around with the tuner, and put on the "91 octane performance map". I took it out for a spin and holy fack! It literally feels like i gained 30 hp to the wheels. Now when rolling in second i can stomp on the gas and it will break the tires loose like its nothing. I could never do that before. I can pull on my friends SS by about a car and a half now. both same mods, he used to beat me. I'm really happy with the gains, however the car is now running super rich. I can smell such a strong oder of gas when cruising around at low speeds. And it back fires a bunch too. I flashed it back to stock because I know this is not good to be running this rich. And now I miss miss the power. I was thinking about doing a Frost tune, but was worried it wont yield the same performance gains as the superchip. Any input?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Want to buy a bridge?
Old 08-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Want to buy a bridge?
A bridge?
Old 08-14-2014, 02:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Never seen a handheld come close to those gains on The Dyno. I'm guessing he was implying that if you believe those gains then he's got a bridge for sale.
Old 08-15-2014, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSX Power Tuning
Never seen a handheld come close to those gains on The Dyno. I'm guessing he was implying that if you believe those gains then he's got a bridge for sale.
I didn't believe the gains either until i did the reflash. It's a night and day difference. I thought that after installing the throttle body and lid there was a significant gain, but its nothing compared to the gains i feel after the reflash. Just really curious why its running so rich with the tune on
Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Freak_Show
however the car is now running super rich. I can smell such a strong oder of gas when cruising around at low speeds. Any input?
Low speeds is when the vehicle is operating in closed loop with fuel trimming keeping the A/F at 14.7:1, so unless there is a sensor fault preventing closed loop it isn't running rich. Handheld tuners don't disable closed loop operation.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought that after installing the throttle body and lid there was a significant gain, but its nothing compared to the gains i feel after the reflash.
If you think that a TB and lid was a "significant" gain then you seem to be just a little overzealous when describing gains. What you seem to call "significant" most people would probably call barely detectable.

With that, I can see how even a canned tuner would feel like a humongous gain in power. Most likely you are feeling the reduction in torque management. From the factory it's pretty big, so any reduction will feel like 100hp.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, TM reductions can lead to what feels like big power additions on an otherwise stock car, but 30 rwhp on a stockish car from just a tune ain't happening

I recently put one of our canned tunes in a buddys stock M6 C5, and he was sideways the whole way home, was convinced I added a ton of power, but in reality, I know it was about 15 rwhp at best, but a good tune is not just about adding power...
Old 08-15-2014, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport
Yeah, TM reductions can lead to what feels like big power additions on an otherwise stock car, but 30 rwhp on a stockish car from just a tune ain't happening

I recently put one of our canned tunes in a buddys stock M6 C5, and he was sideways the whole way home, was convinced I added a ton of power, but in reality, I know it was about 15 rwhp at best, but a good tune is not just about adding power...
This makes perfect sense. I didn't realize that there was a torque management that the tune removes, which is why I probably feel so much gain in the butt dyno. Thank you for your input!

I am sure now that the car is still running rich with the tune, it stinks up everywhere I go with it on. My gf even asked me if I had some sort of fuel leak when i was idling in front of her apartment. I have is disabled for now and all is well. I'll probably install my longtubes and get a frost tune next. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is no torque management on a 6 speed. Only on autos.

Quick Reply: Superchip Flashpaq = amazing gains, but runs rich