PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To self tune, or not to self tune. That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To self tune, or not to self tune. That is the question.

Ok guys, I need a little guidance and recommendations from the people that have been there / done that. Me and my buddy are both doing 6.0 LS swaps at the same time, mine is going into my 95 Z28 and he is swapping into his 79 2 door Impala. We are both starting the same place by putting the stock running 6.0's in our vehicles behind TH400 transmissions, but down the road he is going the twin turbo route and I am going the stroked nitrous route. We both already have the 6.0 engines and the TH400 transmissions, and he has the stock 2003 6.0 computer, but I have yet to pick up a computer (ECM, PCM or what ever the acronyms are) for mine.

So right off the bat, he will need his computer flashed to have the automatic trans files removed or switched to the manual trans set up. And depending on which ECM I end up with, I may need the same. I will be going the speed density route, and I am unsure as of yet, which tuning method he will want to use. We live about half way in between Indianapolis and Fort Wayne, Indiana (about an hour to an hour and a half drive to either place) and I am not aware of any recommended or reputable LS tuners. Not that I have asked or even looked though.
Back in the early LT1 edit days, I messed around with it some, but that is the extent of my "tuning" experience.

With that being said, I am computer literate and have no problems learning how to use editing/tuning software, handhelds, etc. What I am unsure of is, which would be the cheapest and least hassle way for me to be able to go about having all of this done from beginning (stock with TH400's) to end (stroked nitrous & twin turbo) ? (ie. finding a tuner to take care of it repeatedly, or getting tuning software and doing it all myself.) I will be taking care of the wiring/tuning/electrical aspects of both our cars.

I do not want this turning into a "which is the best tuning software to use" thread, so if there are opinions about that, please PM me that info.

Thanks guys !
Old 12-21-2015, 06:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be one thing if this was a "one and done" project.
Then -maybe- a tuner shop could get you right and let it be.
But that's seldom how it goes, even if that's today's plan.

Tuning software & cable ought to set you back maybe 4
hours of shop rates. Depending on the shop. And then you
can mess with it at will, at length, try out things you can't
explain neatly and expect someone to get done before the
money runs out.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 698 Likes on 439 Posts

I agree. Tune it yourself. That way you aren't married to your tuner.

Besides, it's satisfying to be able to say you tuned it your own bad self!

Ron
Old 12-22-2015, 06:05 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you both ! Time to start learning ... =)
Old 12-22-2015, 06:51 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A dyno tune is going to run you 4-600$ and will get most of your tune squared away. But very few tuners are going to spend the time needed fine tuning everything. It takes quite a bit of time perfecting everything in the tune and I just don't see many people devoting that time for a few hundred dollars.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Right on. Makes sense to me. I'll just do some research and figure out which system will best fit my needs and capabilities. Anyone wanna PM me on the pros and cons of the main 2 systems ?
Old 12-22-2015, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-yourself.html

Check this out. A short diatribe about my adventure into tuning.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nicelysedate
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...-yourself.html

Check this out. A short diatribe about my adventure into tuning.
That was a great write up! I DEFINITELY saved that in my files... I'm anew tuner n need to find the time to put in work on all this!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Great question and great information...just made my mind up it too.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2015, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

I also kinda started that way. But you have to start somewhere. After looking at hptuners an trying to figure it out with random books I opted to take a course from the tuning school. It put everything into perspective for me tuning. Having the time to ask questions an have hands on experience before trying it solo. Also they give you a step by step process so you don't chase your tail tuning. With just a few tunes under my belt I've tuned H/C ls1 a SD procharger ls1 successfully. Both I put on dyno for final tweaking. Also if you do go with hptuners get the pro version to use a wideband.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:52 PM
Staging Lane

I'm on this same delemia, do I buy a hptuner and wideband, and tune myself, or do a mail in tune.

I've tuned on aem v1, and v2. Not sure if I know how to navigate hptuner. Plus you already have a nice base file to work off, since your working off the factory tune, correct?

Some of those professional tuners out there, remark tell us what u like and dislike about hptuner, or aem, or haltech, mega squirt, ect......
Old 12-22-2015, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

OP, what kind of budget are you working with for the ECU setup? Are you stuck to the idea of using a production ECU or open to the idea of an aftermarket unit? If so, I'd recommend checking out the Holley HP EFI.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Does the Holley hp, self tune for fuel?

And you have to figure out the timing?
Old 12-22-2015, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

My buddy already has the stock 2003 truck ecu, and I still have yet to get an ECU and finish up my wiring for it. So I'm not really decided on which way to go yet. Money is definitely an issue, seeing as how between me and my girlfriend we have 5 kids. I do have some money to work with and spend, but I need to ration it out to a few other things I need to complete my swap and get it running. So, while the Holley system is not out of the picture, it is going to have to be something remarkable enough that I would be willing to learn how to tune that, and my friends car. Ill check into the pricing and do some digging into the programmimg side of it. Who knows, if it is inexpensive (is that even possible?) enough, i might be able to convince him to get the same set up as well. Either way, i will be the one to take care if both cars as far as the electrical side goes, and if i can avoid it right now, I dont want to learn more systems than needed. How is the learning curve for the Holley system ?
Old 12-22-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by atl1234
Does the Holley hp, self tune for fuel?

And you have to figure out the timing?
You set the base parameters and sensors then fire it up. It self tunes from there. After some run time, you can narrow the self-learning window so the adjustments aren't as drastic. You can also disable self learn and just tune it yourself.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

93Z28, just after reading the first few posts in the thread on your sig, it looks like you have done almost exactly what I have planned. I will read through the rest of it when I get to my laptop and off of my phone. Thanks for the heads up, and the info !
Old 12-22-2015, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stryker1320
My buddy already has the stock 2003 truck ecu, and I still have yet to get an ECU and finish up my wiring for it. So I'm not really decided on which way to go yet. Money is definitely an issue, seeing as how between me and my girlfriend we have 5 kids. I do have some money to work with and spend, but I need to ration it out to a few other things I need to complete my swap and get it running. So, while the Holley system is not out of the picture, it is going to have to be something remarkable enough that I would be willing to learn how to tune that, and my friends car. Ill check into the pricing and do some digging into the programmimg side of it. Who knows, if it is inexpensive (is that even possible?) enough, i might be able to convince him to get the same set up as well. Either way, i will be the one to take care if both cars as far as the electrical side goes, and if i can avoid it right now, I dont want to learn more systems than needed. How is the learning curve for the Holley system ?
Are you building the harness yourself or having someone else do it? All told the Holley will cost a good bit over an 0411, but there's almost unlimited features over a stock ECU. Tuning is so easy I can do it, lol. The self learn won't really let you do something too stupid. Essentially with self learn enabled at 100% it will save you from pulling too much fuel or adding too much timing.

Check this out, take note at what they say around 2:54 -

I'm not going to write all of the features out, but here they are -

http://documents.holley.com/hpefifeatures.pdf
Old 12-22-2015, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

93Z28, just after reading the first few posts in the thread on your sig, it looks like you have done almost exactly what I have planned. I will read through the rest of it when I get to my laptop and off of my phone. Thanks for the heads up, and the info !
Honestly, it's not worth the read, lol. I didn't put much progress in it, I was pretty much waiting to get the car running, then do one massive update at the end. However, feel free to PM me any questions you may have.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 93Z2871805
Are you building the harness yourself or having someone else do it?
I am in the process of building my own because I can't see the sense in paying $500 + for something I can do myself. Splicing and soldering wires, and reading wiring schematics is not that hard to do, its just time consuming. I used to install alarms and stereo equipment in cars for a living, when I lived in Phoenix, and we weren't allowed to use butt connectors or any kind of line splices, or we were fired. Needless to say, I learned to solder wires in very tight spaces in very uncomfortable positions. Lol. Now if I could find a wiring harness for a price that wasn't so hard on the wallet, I would probably be more for it, but like I said before, we have 5 kids and I have to pick and choose wisely where I spent my money =)
Old 12-23-2015, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am in the process of building my own because I can't see the sense in paying $500 + for something I can do myself. Splicing and soldering wires, and reading wiring schematics is not that hard to do, its just time consuming. I used to install alarms and stereo equipment in cars for a living, when I lived in Phoenix, and we weren't allowed to use butt connectors or any kind of line splices, or we were fired. Needless to say, I learned to solder wires in very tight spaces in very uncomfortable positions. Lol. Now if I could find a wiring harness for a price that wasn't so hard on the wallet, I would probably be more for it, but like I said before, we have 5 kids and I have to pick and choose wisely where I spent my money =)
Then you wouldn't like the Holley, lol. All told the harness is over $500 on that system, but it is really well put together with nylon braid and weather-proof metri-pack connectors. It also makes injector swaps (EV1 to EV6 to USCAR) a one connector deal to change out, no adapters needed. The initial investment on the system is kind of pricey, but upgrades thereafter are either cheap or a simple add on in the "J" harness.

Last edited by 93Z2871805; 12-27-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: To self tune, or not to self tune. That is the question.