Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 5.3 engine loss of power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 5.3 engine loss of power?

Thanks in advance!!! I'm new to the LS which I have a Bouncer with a 2002 5.3 LS from a Silverado 1500. Had issues with the charging system, would not charge the battery, if you charged the battery up it would run great for 20 mins start missing and die? Got a replacement alt for a 2002 chevy silverado, same thing happend, like the alt was not charging battery? I was told I needed more amps to run my rad fans, trans fan & elect fuel pump. Got another alt with higher amps 130 (carquest listed), this time it ran fine but the battery did come down some but not enough for it to miss and die like before? So I thought more amps was helping and the amps on my guage was showing it putting out 10-11.2 amps which I was told was still low? Ok so I was looking for more amps and got a new Mechman custom Alternator 250 amp GM 4 pin Self Exciting. This seems to have fixed my charging problem, the battery stayed up and the gage was now showing 14 amps under load. Here's my problem, immediately after that my engine has lost power, still runs good but didnt start as quick, didn't idle as good and idled at a little lower rpms, would not rev as fast as before and is considerably slower accelerating? Im not sure what to check now, it ran awesome before the alt change? Thanks for any help on this? Bryan
Old 06-29-2017, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to make sure its not a coincidence, have you tried one of the previous alt's to see if the power returns? Do you have any codes showing?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Both Alts I returned so I can't try them. Haven't tried running any codes yet? Someone told me the new 250 amp alt may be sending to much voltage to the mass air flow sensor that a diode may need to be installed to drop the volts back down? I know nothing about that? I need to hook it up and check for codes I guess? I'm going to a competition in the morn so I'm out of time, was hoping it would be something simple? Thanks and I'll keep checking back to see any responses. Thanks a bunch for any ideas or solutions?
Old 06-30-2017, 07:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

I would try another battery. Your battery could be bad and causing all your problems. Also make sure your grounds are good.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gagliano7
I would try another battery. Your battery could be bad and causing all your problems. Also make sure your grounds are good.
could the battery be bad but everything electric, light, rad fans, trans fan and fuel pump all still work fine? The LS is running good just sluggish and down in acceleration? Thanks
Old 07-05-2017, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Dufftuffbryan
could the battery be bad but everything electric, light, rad fans, trans fan and fuel pump all still work fine? The LS is running good just sluggish and down in acceleration? Thanks
Well I feel a little dumified, my LS in my buggy lost power because when I installed the new Mechman high amp alternator I accidentally got a zip tie on one of the injector wires and when I pulled the zip tight it unplugged the 1 injector so that's why it lost some power! We did the water test which I'll share cause it works! Started the LS up and let it idle, took a cold water bottle and poored a little water on each header tube 1 at a time, each one sizzled and dried immediately except one, the one that wasn't firing! It was cold to the touch and the water didn't dry immediately so from there we found the unplugged injector. Thanks
Old 07-05-2017, 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

" Someone told me the new 250 amp alt may be sending to much voltage to the mass air flow sensor that a diode may need to be installed to drop the volts back down?"
What the hell is a need for a 250 amp alt?
Diodes for the MAF?? A new one.
As for the alt not working... Is the PCM alt control removed?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Teching In

I know that seems like alot of voltage for what I have but since installing it it's done great!! I have a few friends that run this same alternator on there comp rock bouncers and love it, one of them recommended it so I called Mechman Alternators, Knox. Tn and they built me one while I waited. I'm happy!!!
Old 08-07-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

No matter what current rating,, alternators should put out the same voltage within a couple tenths of a volt or so.. The 250 just has more headroom for load. Different alternators can take a different RPM to totally come on and provide juice to the system. Thats the most common fail I see on offload rigs, too low of RPM at idle to get the field excited.. and 1 wire alternators are the worst about it..

You can buy 16V alternators for some applications and a special battery but in general on a modern engine should not be needed until your running a really high current ignition.

I have a cheap harbor freight thermal gun I use at the track to make sure all the cylinders are firing before a race..
Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Thanks PDX for the good info. Everything is working great so i'm not messing with it, Lol. I know Mechmann Alternators built mine to work better at higher rpms since I'm normally wide open!! Just the way I like it!!! Thanks for all the info Everyone. Bryan
Old 08-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
What the hell is a need for a 250 amp alt?
My custom alternator does over 200 amps at a little over 1000 RPM and runs a microwave, satellite TV and my computer all at the same time ..... I don't run my microwave when the coffee pot is on tho!
Old 08-09-2017, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Here's a pic of my LS Buggy. All seems fine now! Thanks Yall

Old 08-14-2017, 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

THAT is one cool buggy!! Plus I'm sure it HAULZZZZ!!
Old 08-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Teching In

Thank You very much, It's alot of fun for sure!

Quick Reply: 2002 5.3 engine loss of power?