Sponsored by:

4l80 swap help...no speedo

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 4l80 swap help...no speedo

So,

I've done a 4l80 swap in my ECSB 2006 Sierra, 2wd. It's a late model trans with the front and rear speed sensors separate (one at the front, one at the rear).

It is my understanding that the rear sensor is equivalent to the sensor on the 60e.

The front sensor is the one that needs to be pinned into the PCM.

With that being said,

I've checked and rechecked my PCM connections. I'm using a PNP harness for pre-2007 4l80s.

Segment swap was done. Do these not work sometimes?

My speedometer doesn't work. Additionally, there isn't any speedo feedback in the scanner either. So that tells me the signal isn't making it from the trans to the PCM.

With all that being said, I plan on changing both sensors this afternoon. I mean, what can it hurt, right?

Additionally, could I use a same year van tune file (licensed of course) that supports the 4l80 by default? Assuming I do a VIN change and copy my engine parameters over. Would it work?

I've found a donor file and both are p59 controllers and DBW.

Thanks in advance,
Old 01-07-2018, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I put a 4L80 in a 2005 GTO and used the rear (VSS) plug on the trans. It worked fine. I did not hook up anything on the front (ISS) sensor.
I don't know about the P59 and the segment swap.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Thanks.

Changed the rear sensor. No change.

Removed the PNP harness and repinned the connector. No change.

Also verified there was a reluctor ring on the 80e.

Also verified the factory trans connector pinout.

Anyone else?

Last edited by madmann26; 01-07-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I would check the 2 OSS wires, I haven't seen a botched segment swap remove/corrupt the OSS signal.
Old 01-07-2018, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by clinebarger
I would check the 2 OSS wires, I haven't seen a botched segment swap remove/corrupt the OSS signal.
What would I be looking for? I swapped that sensor this morning. The pins in the sensor and the connector look fine.

(Assuming you're talking about the rear most sensor)
Old 01-07-2018, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

OSS stands for Output Speed Sensor, Which is the rear most speed sensor.

It may be easiest to just prove out a few things.....

1. Start engine, With the trans in Park.

2. Find the ISS "PID" on your scanner, It should reading a few hundred RPM in park.
(You can "sanity" check the reading by putting the trans in drive...The ISS RPM will drop to zero)

3. Swap the ISS Circuits into the OSS Cavities, Remove the wires from cavities 22 & 23 (ISS) & install them in cavities 20 & 21. (Green/C2 connector)

4. Start engine/Trans in park......Does the OSS/VSS now have a reading?

This feeds a "known good" speed signal to the OSS input at the PCM. If it now gets a reading......You most likely have a wiring/connection issue.
If not.....PCM issues!
Old 01-07-2018, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I'll test it out.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 911 Likes on 651 Posts

Does the speedo work on the dash, or in the scanner or not at all?
Old 01-08-2018, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Does the speedo work on the dash, or in the scanner or not at all?
Not at all.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

Received 196 Likes on 134 Posts

Here's another way to test for a faulty VSS (OSS in this case). You will need a multi meter.

Set your multi meter to A/C. Unplug connector on OSS/VSS so that you can see the pins inside the OSS/VSS. With the trans in neutral (engine off) hold each lead of your multi meter to each of the pins on the speed sensor. Now have someone turn the drive shaft (yes, the rear wheels need to be off the ground for this).. While they are turning the driveshaft you should see an A/C signal on the multi-meter. This will prove that the speed sensor is functional so that you are not wasting money on a sensor only to figure out later that the wiring, or PCM, is at fault. Since the speed sensors on the 80E are the same (front or rear), you can try swapping their positions and then check for a speedometer reading after that.

I've seen it before where someone swapped over a 4x4 trans to 2 wheel drive and did not realize that there is NO RELUCTOR ring inside the 4x4 trans as it gets the VSS/OSS from the T-case.. If your trans was converted over from 4x4, put your finger into the rear speed sensor hole and feel for the presence of a reluctor ring. Without it, the sensor will never read/report a signal. It's rare to have problems with speed sensors themselves. It's common to have problems with wiring in the on-body-harness connector as people will pull on the wires to unplug the connector and this can pull the wiring loose from inside the connector, or otherwise damage the wiring where it attaches to the pins in the connector.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madmann26
So,

I've done a 4l80 swap in my ECSB 2006 Sierra, 2wd. It's a late model trans with the front and rear speed sensors separate (one at the front, one at the rear).

It is my understanding that the rear sensor is equivalent to the sensor on the 60e.

The front sensor is the one that needs to be pinned into the PCM.

With that being said,

I've checked and rechecked my PCM connections. I'm using a PNP harness for pre-2007 4l80s.

Segment swap was done. Do these not work sometimes?

My speedometer doesn't work. Additionally, there isn't any speedo feedback in the scanner either. So that tells me the signal isn't making it from the trans to the PCM.

With all that being said, I plan on changing both sensors this afternoon. I mean, what can it hurt, right?

Additionally, could I use a same year van tune file (licensed of course) that supports the 4l80 by default? Assuming I do a VIN change and copy my engine parameters over. Would it work?

I've found a donor file and both are p59 controllers and DBW.

Thanks in advance,
I put a 4l80e in my 87 4x4. I had the same issue it would also shift really hard. Took it to a guy that put a reluctor ring in the transmission since the one I had was from a 4x4 that sensor us usually in the transfer case and I wanted to run a 205 which is an older heavy duty model
Old 01-10-2018, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I would start over and redo the segment swap. I've done two this year and both worked flawlessly though I'm using the older PCMs. I found a matching OS from a savanna van.

Quick Reply: 4l80 swap help...no speedo