PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help tuner says mechanical problems and engine builder says nothing is wrong

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 02:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Help tuner says mechanical problems and engine builder says nothing is wrong

Ugh how to start this well I will post my tunes, dyno sheet and data logs for one. So the car seems to be breaking up at the higher rpm range. I have the Brutespeed forced induction cam, Siemens Deka 60# injecttors, return style fuel system with a boost referenced fpr and other mods in the sig. The tuner (after about 4-5 times taken to him) says that it was the same problem since day one when he started tuning it. What changed overtime was the return fuel system, Moser 9", transbrake but the same issue happening at high rpm. I was told that it could be one of two things and 1 being spark blow out and 2 being valve float. I have .650 lift springs in the heads with them and the motor being assembled at ERL. I was running TR6s and switched to BR7s and the same issue. The problem only shows up on the dyno graph when it is getting tuned btw. The other problems that I have is when cranking at times it will act like it wants to die then pick up and run and others it will die and start up just fine. While normal driving, it will feel sluggish from starts or hesitate to go when stepping in it and also feels like it wants to stall when slowing down. I can't think of anything else to put at the moment but if anymore information is needed I am willing to get it out there. I just want to get this issue solved because it has been on going for about 7-8 years now. Thanks for any input.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
Dyno 07-05-18 03.hpl (58.8 KB, 31 views)
Dyno 07-05-18 02.hpl (61.0 KB, 26 views)
Dyno 07-05-18 01.hpl (174.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: hpt
STS 3 Bar Tune 05-25-17.hpt (223.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: hpt
Base Tune 03-09-11.hpt (463.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 10-03-2018, 02:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh and the car hasn't seen over 12psi of boost also it was just controlled by the gate as the controller has been off this entire time.
Old 10-03-2018, 05:20 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it's all in the tune, but there is some weirdness in the tune:

* The VE table is a mess. The lines are criss-crossing and jumping all over the place instead of smooth transitions.
* THe dynamic airflow is set up for MAF only, but the tune is SD. Could be causing it to fight itself.
* Transient Fuel min fuel milligrams needs to drop to 0.010. That's kind of tuning 101 for larger injectors.
* Injector flow rate data is effed. Typically is not the same value in every field. Also, 60 lb injectors flow closer to 75 at LS pressures, not 60.

Now, one observation on the mechanical side:
* Your map readings at WOT under 3500 rpm are low. Maybe that's normal for a turbo, maybe not, but all of mine at low RPM show near atmospheric pressure at WOT. Might be worth looking for an intake blockage.
* I cannot see in the logs if there is any valve float, but it does seem like power is peaking early. Have a dyno graph to post?
* Edit - if you suspect valve float, your sig does not mention pushrods. If you are running stock pushrods, get some 11/32 from manton
Old 10-03-2018, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

yeah wow that needs some work.
Old 10-03-2018, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes I have pushrods as I had to go with different ones because I was running a 2002 ZO6 cam that got chewed up. I will check to see if there is a blockage also thanks for a starting point. *edit* I thought the dyno graph was downloaded with all the rest of the stuff.

dyno that is rough at the top and not sure if it matches any of the logs

Last edited by The Fugitive; 10-03-2018 at 10:43 PM. Reason: forgot to attach the dyno graph
Old 10-03-2018, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by truckdoug
yeah wow that needs some work.
Did you see anything that wasn't already mentioned?
Old 10-03-2018, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am also at a 4505 feet above sea level that might be why the map readings seem low to start.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Check voltage and fuel pressure also. what pump and how old is it?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:58 AM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Yes your tune is very rough and needs help but it's not causing that dyno graph that's for sure, that's valve float or a spark issue guaranteed. The driveability issues are in the tune however.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

+1. That curve is def mechanical and likely valve float. But I do think the issues posted below in the tune are legit issues that should be corrected
Old 10-04-2018, 12:56 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

You can try unhooking the charge pipe to determine whether or not its valve float.
Spark blow-out N/A is very unlikely, so if it does it still, its likely valve float.
I'd recommend a smaller cam either way. Tuning for a large cam N/A is typically harder than tuning boost with a smaller cam. Combining them will test your tuners abilities.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NicD
Yes your tune is very rough and needs help but it's not causing that dyno graph that's for sure, that's valve float or a spark issue guaranteed. The driveability issues are in the tune however.
That was the graph before the spark plug change. He didn't give me anything for after it was changed just said the issue was there. As far as the logs show the RPMs never falls off and a steady line to redline or until he gets off of the gas. Wouldn't valve float cause a dip in RPMs?
Old 10-04-2018, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JoeNova
You can try unhooking the charge pipe to determine whether or not its valve float.
Spark blow-out N/A is very unlikely, so if it does it still, its likely valve float.
I'd recommend a smaller cam either way. Tuning for a large cam N/A is typically harder than tuning boost with a smaller cam. Combining them will test your tuners abilities.
So would it be best to have him fix the issues above with the tune and then try it out or just do the charge pipe first?
Old 10-04-2018, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
+1. That curve is def mechanical and likely valve float. But I do think the issues posted below in the tune are legit issues that should be corrected
I am currently messing with my stupid water lines in my house but I will try to run by the shop and see if he has other graphs for me to post.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:05 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
That was the graph before the spark plug change. He didn't give me anything for after it was changed just said the issue was there. As far as the logs show the RPMs never falls off and a steady line to redline or until he gets off of the gas. Wouldn't valve float cause a dip in RPMs?
No.

Originally Posted by The Fugitive
So would it be best to have him fix the issues above with the tune and then try it out or just do the charge pipe first?
Do NOT disconnect the charge pipe and try to make a pull unless you want to potentially hurt the turbo in the process.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This is one of the earlier dynos that was done. I will have to go tomorrow and try to get more from him
Old 10-04-2018, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NicD
No.

Do NOT disconnect the charge pipe and try to make a pull unless you want to potentially hurt the turbo in the process.
What else is a sign of valve float? I thought once it floats it won't recover? Also the guy at the tuning school on youtube said it would show in the rpms

Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

what coils are u using? What are u gapping your plugs at? what gas? verified fuel pressure etc.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

check grounds at the back of intake. They can cause all sort of crazy things.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brandon6.0
what coils are u using? What are u gapping your plugs at? what gas? verified fuel pressure etc.
Using the truck coils, the plugs are gapped at 25, the highest gas off the street I can get is 91 and fuel pressure is 58 when the vacuum is off the fpr. I have 2 walbro 255 in tank. Fast fuel rails -8 feed and using the stock feel as a return. Meth hasn't really been tuned in but is set to come on at 10psi and full at 15psi.