Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing a swapped engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 07:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashing a swapped engine

I am swapping in an l83 engine into my Jeep wrangler JKu. The biggest drawback for me with this was electrical, specifically tuning/flashing/programming.

I was told my two options would be a F5 handheld or a HPT setup. There's likely more, but these are the two items the company uses for their swap kits. (RPM)
The HPTuners seem the way to go as I can use it on other vehicles but watching videos, it still seems daunting. I really just want it to where I can drive my jeep with AFM/DOD deleted and the downstream 02s removed. I reckon this will work to set shift points when I change out my tires and gears as well..

Both are the same price (400) including the credits I will need with HPT, but which of the two are the wise choice for the illiterate? I have used the flash cal when I put on 37s and gears, but don't ecall it being able to delete stuff or be able to use on the jeep computer as well as the chevy computer.

What would you guys go with for the easiest set up?
Old 12-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Launching!

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Even though I don't use HP Tuners any more and have never used it on any Chrysler based vehicles (they didn't support them back then). In my experience using it to do basic changes to modify a pcm / ecm for a swap would be a fairly quick learning experience. I can't imagine, it taking you more then a couple of hours to figure out how to use the software and what values to change to do your first one. After doing a few, you should be able to read it out, make your changes, and reflash it in less then 15 minutes. Just remember, the forums and YouTube are your friends. So my vote is HP Tuners, you will not be sorry
Old 12-24-2019, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 204 Likes on 164 Posts

Where are you located? Somebody around here will be close enough to just let them do it. The going rate around here for what you need would be $150. That's two HP Tuner credits at $50 each to license the new operating system plus $50 for the local guy's time, effort and hard earned skills. You don't mention what your PCM is but the newer boxes may cost more.

Here's what I had done to the "896" PCM supporting the 5.3 liter LM7 engine in my 70 Chevy El Camino:

Vehicle Info: 1999 GMC Sierra 5.3-liter engine / 4L60E transmission. Tune changes that are different from the original operating system: Startup and at temp idle raised 100 rpm to 800 RPM, PE Delay set to zero - Power Enrichment. Catalytic converter over temp disabled – no cat is installed. All EVAP, EGR, fuel sender, and rear O2 OBD II fault codes deleted. Speedometer and shift points are corrected for current tire / gear (2.73 differential gears, 26-inch-tall rear tire). Max line pressure is disabled in case of MAF failure. VATS turned off – Vehicle Anti-Theft System. Electric Fans Activate - First fan on @ 195, second on at 210, both off at 190.

Rick
Old 12-24-2019, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

One option is a custom tune with a F5 Pro handheld https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...no-laptop.html they arent a vendor on here so you will need to google their info. Cheapest option would be a mail order tune.
Old 12-25-2019, 01:56 PM
Teching In

In my head, I think the HPTuners would be the best option as I can change stuff out down the road that's not just tire size, but I keep reading, if I don't do it right, I'll lock the ecu or kill the motor. I'm searching and searching and watching Tuning School videos among others. I like the idea of possibly making my money back with tuning my buddies vehicles and stuff, but if I am realistic with myself, I don't think Ill touch it once I get my jeep where I want it.

The mail order tuning seems to be the most expensive option? Looking at the product, it's 299 plus another 400 for tunes, from the quick search. I'll keep looking though.

I just updated my profile for location, as I am in Southern Louisiana. If I can find someone to tune my stuff for 150, I am definitely all about that. Maybe Ill post a wanted ad in the Market place and see where it gets me. As of right now, I just want to ditch the DOD, cats and o2s and have the trans shift set up for 37s. Would be cool just to get a flashpaq and have a tuner mail me different tunes though. Plug and play when it comes to electrical is what I am about lol.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,135 Likes on 2,445 Posts

Look up ChopperDoc. He made some videos on HPTuners that might help you.
Right now not sure if it's Chopperdoc, ChopperDoc, or the above. Good luck!
Old 12-25-2019, 06:59 PM
Teching In

I have actually watched some of his stuff. Part of why I feel I may be out of my element.

Out of curiosity, once I buy the credits needed to edit my vehicle, I wont have to keep buying credits everytime I want to edit something, right?
Old 12-25-2019, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, mostly you are correct. I'm certainly no expert but I think that once you spend two HP Tuner credits to license your operating system and assign that PCM to your HP Tuner device, you should not have to pay again. But please note that your PCM license is assigned to that particular MPV HP Tuners device that you own. If you take your PCM to any other MPV device, you will pay all over again to make changes.

This will certainly apply to you if you later decide to send your PCM away for somebody to tune it.

Rick
Old 12-25-2019, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Thanks, that's what I was speculating. I did read something about removing VATS cost 2 credits outside of just doing a tune. Not sure if I was misreading, but it said that if I removed VATS and then go get it dyno tuned it'll cost 2 more credits, and that actually makes sense after reading your comment now.

What about editing the TCU? Do I need to toy with that at all?

I should mention I am working with an E92 ECU

Last edited by Blown Budget; 12-26-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know virtually nothing about an E92 box with me only having looked at the more primitive 896 / 0411 / P59 powertrain control modules (PCM). With these older PCM's and presumably your TCU, yes you would need to make changes regarding the transmission. Wheel/tire height, rear differential gear ratio and possibly others to make it shift correctly and for the speedometer and tachometer to be accurate.

Rick
Old 12-26-2019, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

You can download the HPTuners software and grab a generic tune file for your vehicle and look at all the settings.

This is what sealed the deal for me. Being able to actually poke around and "tune" before I even bought the device/software. Granted, I couldnt flash an ECM without the device but I had all "tuning" done.

My understanding is, on my PCM for example, I spent the 2 credits and I can alter transmission as well as VATS as many times and flash as many times as I want as Ive licensed the PCM to my device.

Some newer GM vehicles have two computers, one for transmission and one for everything else. These are the ones that have the higher credit cost.

I suggest you look around in the software, its free to do so.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:53 PM
Teching In

I will check that out. Thanks. I did decide to specifically watch videos of the main issues I wanted to complete and for the most part seem like you just go to where wherever DOD is sitting and then just hit disable. As well VATS and o2s.At least in the videos I watched. I also noticed one guy who toyed with the tire size and shifts just through the OBD port, so I am guessing I should've have to toy with the TCU specifically? I believe it was on a 2016 Tahoe, I'll have to double back on it.

I do have a separate TCU, but I imagine it's connected to the ECU somewhere. to edit these simple things? Im not building a hot rod, so I imagine most of the stock settings is where I want/need them outside of my main concerns. It'll likely never be dyno'd.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Ok, I think I am getting a better understanding, at least better than where I was.

The l83 and 8l90 trans I have, I was told came out of a 2018 Caddy. From my research, that's not the case. To be fair he had 3 other l83s with both trans and a couple 6.2s so I figure he had a mix up. Either way..

My research tells me it's likely a 2016 1500 but to be sure, I am able to read exactly what my set up came out of, right?
Also, when I looked up credits (Buying the MPVI2HP) I see that truck will be 2 credits, but nothing on the trans side. That said, when I search tire change/gear change for these trucks, it's pretty much the same way on other vehicles, so I figure I wont have to mess with the TCM in my situation, at least for this.

Am I correct
Old 12-26-2019, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

E92 has a steep learning curve and there isnt alot out there on it compared to the older ecm's. If its a 2018 it will be 4 credits for the engine and you will have to send the tcm to hpt to get unlocked plus 2 credits.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:07 PM
Teching In

Luckily, I have the t87 module. I at least know it's a 2016 or lower, if what I read is correct. Got lucky with that. At first I was upset when I found out it wasn't a 2018 like I was told, but after research, I am actually glad lol.

Quick Reply: Flashing a swapped engine