PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with HP Tuners

Old 04-29-2005, 11:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with HP Tuners

that all I have to say, I've had no problem with LS-1 edit, tried HPT and now my car runs like **** for no obvious reason

And no one has been able to help
Old 04-29-2005, 11:19 AM
10 Second Club

Operator error.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

Before you slam them have you eliminated user error. May be a problem of PICNIC (Problem In Chair Not In Computer)
Old 04-29-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Operator error.

I can pretty much guarantee you that its not HPT's fault, it's the tuner/operator's doing.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is the problem exactly? What did YOU change? perhaps you're confusing idle relearn w/running poorly...

please provide us w/what's going wrong

Last edited by horist; 04-29-2005 at 02:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

With a boat-load of people out there using HPT with great results, its highly unlikely that HPT software is the cause of your problem.

Have you done any searches on bit-shifting? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times but can't remember the details, but it causes major problems.
Old 04-29-2005, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

PICNIC hrm... I like that one. Note as good as PEBKAC though (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)
Old 04-29-2005, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Drew778
that all I have to say, I've had no problem with LS-1 edit, tried HPT and now my car runs like **** for no obvious reason

And no one has been able to help
So now its hptuners fault for you lack of tunning knowledge? Did you email them with you problem before you came and outed them in a thread. You should give them the benefit of trying to fix your problem before it comes to this!!!
Old 04-29-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok guys... let's stop the "attacks" on Drew.. we all know how frustrating tuning can be at times especially when you're first learning... Let's let drew reply (or he always has the option of removing the post and posting exactly what his problem is)
Old 04-29-2005, 01:07 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Change the title of this post.

Thanks horist

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 04-29-2005 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

I've been using HPT since version 1.0 and I would be lost without this software. Have you posted on the HPT bulletin board yet? I know you will get prompt service there.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:52 PM
Restricted User

So the comments can cease, he is describing the issue I had and have posted of which the only one here that replied to the problem was Horist! So to everyone else, he is venting, like most people do.
Problem is not PICNIC.
Scenario:
I read his VCM with HPT, previously tuned with Diablo and then Edit. So was mine and no issues on my car.
I proceeded to scan the car to look for areas of interest, WOT timing, LTFTs, any DTCs, etc. WOT timing was quite high, by the Edit tune it should have been around 27*, and HPT read it as 33*. I adjusted timing, and MAP Failure Values since he was having problems with P0106 code after MS3 cam install. I wrote the tune in. Hooked scanner back up, and during its idle, I noticed the DTC P0106 was set showing immature, so I cleared the DTC's, the idle immediately dropped hard, it stumbled and then caught back on. Everything seemed fine, until he went to drive away. The LTFTs were max'd out, and the car was popping (like bad backfiring) stuttering etc, barely able to power itself. Scanned it again, the only thing out of norm was LTFTs hardly moving, STFTs were slow as well. After several minutes of idling and attempting to drive, it kind of cleared up, LTFTs went to -3 & + 13 Drvr to Pass respectively and wouldnt get any better, also noted the Injs were 3.x & 7.x same sides. Looked over all the values pointed out by MNR-0 about Bit Shifting, those being IFR, PE, Main Spark, and all trans shifts. All seemed to be sane values. Loaded the LS1 Edit tune back in, and it acted the same, when cold it runs like ***, and sometimes when at op temp. I pulled up the tune I initially read (should be the same as the Edit tune) and loaded that back in. Little to no change, at the moment it seemed to be ok, then the next day, after sitting overnight, it ran like ***. So that is the dirt on the tune. No if there is a tuning error, please enlighten me, I am not an expert, but I am the same guy that tuned his car with Edit and never had issues like that.
On my car, my HPT works flawlessly BTW, and I do love the program. My HPT is set for 2000 and 2002 Fbody, mine is 2000, his is 2002. Only significant things I can see are, the first time I loaded the HPT I hadnt read the VCM ID's, I did however the second time. And the second noticable thing was when clearing the DTC the idle got screwey for a minute.
Educate me here, I have posted about this issue about 6 different times and so far still clueless.

NO SES LIGHT EITHER, although its running like crap.
Charlie

Last edited by CAT3; 04-29-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:56 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by JohnnyStorm
I've been using HPT since version 1.0 and I would be lost without this software. Have you posted on the HPT bulletin board yet? I know you will get prompt service there.

I also posted this in HPT Forum which I am going to check now. Reminder I didnt title this thread, but see no particular place he is bashing HPT. He said what is going on in his words, the car was loaded with HPT and now runs like ****, and after posting several times, no solution or explaination. Sorry for pointing out the obvious here, but his title captured more attention then my pleads for help, so maybe of the 9 ppl that replied so far, we can have a lil teamwork, more than one person trying to reach a common goal. Good luck. Sorry for being crass, but patients is thin since I am tuning this particular car.

Charlie
Old 04-29-2005, 01:59 PM
FormerVendor

I would suggest you two flash a stock tune with HPT and make the changes manually from you edit tune to your new fresh HPT tune. Something between the two programs is prolly getting FUBAREd and I doubt HPT is the culprit. It seems as though you two are the only ones to complain about this and the only constant i see here is you two were previous edit users....
Old 04-29-2005, 02:00 PM
Adkoonerstrator

I know he isn't bashing HPT.

Using titles like that(it is changed now) to gain attention to a thread is usually looked down upon by management.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:12 PM
Restricted User

Sorry, didnt see the original title! My bad. He is a pretty serious guy when it comes to wanting to get things fixed...read Impatient!

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/YaBB.p...num=1114755580

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/312752-need-some-serious-help-quick.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/311087-went-edit-tune-hpt-runs-like-shit.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/311523-using-hpt-check-test-clear-dtc-s.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/310685-ltft-releaning-much-pita.html

I also posted this issue with I believe Phill99Vettes post about similar but plz dont quote me on that just yet. I posted these, not to throw the bashing thing out, but to let ppl see I was trying to get help on this for a couple days now, with little input. Thanks for the understanding.

Charlie
Old 04-29-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Operator error.

dude! WTF?!

you stole my line.

Drew778:

exactly whats the problem?

if your car is running like **** for no obvious reason, the first thing i would do is....

..... and this may sound smartassey buuuut.......

... id figure out WHY its running like ****.

my first random totally off the wall guess is O2 sensor. thats about as wild of a guess as HPtuners.. lol.

you want help troubleshooting it, or are you just posting to complain?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:17 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by HumpinSS
I would suggest you two flash a stock tune with HPT and make the changes manually from you edit tune to your new fresh HPT tune. Something between the two programs is prolly getting FUBAREd and I doubt HPT is the culprit. It seems as though you two are the only ones to complain about this and the only constant i see here is you two were previous edit
users....
Correction needed, both used Diablo first, then Edit over it, and then HPT over that! Just so we are all straight. Also, flashing stock tune I had come up with last night on HPT forum, after MNR-0 mentioned about bit shifting in some tables. I can imagine if using HPT over other tuning MAY cause bit shifting, I would doubt its limited to only a couple tables. Anytime there is a chance for data to be corrupted, it seems unlikely it would be a limited one ya know.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put a stock tune in it and retune idle.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:36 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by CAT3
Correction needed, both used Diablo first, then Edit over it, and then HPT over that! Just so we are all straight. Also, flashing stock tune I had come up with last night on HPT forum, after MNR-0 mentioned about bit shifting in some tables. I can imagine if using HPT over other tuning MAY cause bit shifting, I would doubt its limited to only a couple tables. Anytime there is a chance for data to be corrupted, it seems unlikely it would be a limited one ya know.
Flash a stock tune it takes two minutes and jsut go through the edit stuff and change it in your HPT stuff. I guarantee you will see better reslults.

Phill didnt have a diablo tune he had an edit tune prior to HPT and he suffered from the same ailments

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem with HP Tuners