PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I get good results with HPT by myself??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can I get good results with HPT by myself??

I currently have the Predator, and so far the tune is okay, but it definately needs to be tweaked in many areas i feel, like WOT and just regular driving around tuning.

Whats scaring me is seeing all these different variables and tuning tables and am just totally confused. There is mafless tuning, open loop, closed loop, speed density and cylinder temp or cylinder load (not sure if this is correct), and so on and so on.

What are all these things for, and is it necessary to get a good base tune equal to the Predator?

Also, how has everyone made out doing tuning by SOTP for both WOT and Regular Driving and logging data?
Old 09-25-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Honestly, YES!!!! There are so many "how to" articles on HPTuners that even a dummy can learn how to do it in time. Bottom line, hand held programmers are JUNK and will NEVER give you a tune as good as you can do with HPTuners.

Trust me, take the leap of faith and just read about it. Buy the software and the rest will be history.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:10 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on how dedicated you are to learning...I've seen people buy it and fall on their face or just get plain overwhelmed & then have someone tune their car for them...or blow up their motor in the process of tuning. Then there are others who take the ball & run with it...whether from pure dedication to learning, having their back against the wall have having forced themself to learn it or just having enough background knowledge of engines & their workings and just get it done. Decide if your a person who can get this overwhelming program...invest probably $1500 out of pocket all at once between the program, wideband & laptop & run with it or if your the person who will quit after they open it up and cant figure out how to download their stock file.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:27 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you approach it from a shade-tree perspective and
understand by gut what you're after, it helps keep the
mumbo-jumbo sorted. Sort of a cave-man's first visit
to Wal-Mart, if you can make your way to the frozen
mammoth section without getting distracted by the
lingerie and microwave ovens you can get the basics
done and impulse shop later.

If you hate computers and dislike science classes then
it's better to have a friend with tuning software, maybe.
But it's worth the bet, to step up and see what you are
able to do; self-maintaining these cars means you need
the metric OBD wrench. Just avoiding one dealership
***-raping would probably pay for it....
Old 09-26-2005, 07:44 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
If you approach it from a shade-tree perspective and
understand by gut what you're after, it helps keep the
mumbo-jumbo sorted. Sort of a cave-man's first visit
to Wal-Mart, if you can make your way to the frozen
mammoth section without getting distracted by the
lingerie and microwave ovens you can get the basics
done and impulse shop later.

If you hate computers and dislike science classes then
it's better to have a friend with tuning software, maybe.
But it's worth the bet, to step up and see what you are
able to do; self-maintaining these cars means you need
the metric OBD wrench. Just avoiding one dealership
***-raping would probably pay for it....

thats a pretty good way to describe it jimmy...funny too...

and My say in it..pretty much backs up what jimy said..
as long as you do your research before just diving into it blindly, and you use the software to do the tuning for you, then yes...It can be amazing what you can do with it.
It also helps IF you get some "extra but not necessary" tools to go along with the software...
meaning get a wideband o2 and get the proper package to be able to connect it to the scanning software...
also spend a lot of time on the site of the software you buy...buy efi and visit their forum...buy HPT and spend time on their forum...
the more you read the more it helps you figure out what the hell you're looking at.(and there is a lot to look at)
Tuning is like a jigsaw puzzle....you're not finished until you put the last piece of the puzzle in place...
Old 09-26-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do the handhelds take into account all the other little things like open loop, closed loop, speed density, yadda yadda yadda like hpt does?

I'm just trying to figure out if I can do a good base tune at first (ltrims, spark and WOT tuning), and then as time permits start to fool around with all the in depth things?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
do the handhelds take into account all the other little things like open loop, closed loop, speed density, yadda yadda yadda like hpt does?

I'm just trying to figure out if I can do a good base tune at first (ltrims, spark and WOT tuning), and then as time permits start to fool around with all the in depth things?
you can take HP tuners and download the last tune you did on your car and use that as a starting place.

you can then hook up the scanner and drive a few miles (100's of miles) and fine tune the car by just working with a few of the things that hp tuners works on (VE table etc.).

you can then read and learn more about your car and do other things as time and skills allow.

I would say go for it. you also do not need anything other than a laptop and the software to get started,the other items (wideband etc only make it easier).

ps if you are doing a SC then get it tuned by a Pro. first.

More Than Zero
Old 09-26-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M_T_0
you can take HP tuners and download the last tune you did on your car and use that as a starting place.

you can then hook up the scanner and drive a few miles (100's of miles) and fine tune the car by just working with a few of the things that hp tuners works on (VE table etc.).

Really? So I could download my current predator tune and go ahead and tweak that tune and reflash the pcm with it? If so, that would be perfect b/c then all the settings are where they should be, and then I can do all the fun stuff.

Please confirm this is true or not.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:13 PM
8 Second Club

yes..you can use your predator...and then read the tune with HPT or EFI and tweak it and tune it even further...

there are even a few "predator" tunes on the bin repository
Old 09-26-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by soundengineer
yes..you can use your predator...and then read the tune with HPT or EFI and tweak it and tune it even further...

there are even a few "predator" tunes on the bin repository

Sweet! I did try to search around the repository, but didn't have any success finding any bin files. Is there a way to just get a full list of all the bins including the predator ones?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:58 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Sweet! I did try to search around the repository, but didn't have any success finding any bin files. Is there a way to just get a full list of all the bins including the predator ones?
http://www.transamws6.net/HPTuners/bin/81331087..zip

this is a canned "predator" tune
I just entered predator in the search field
and left all the other info out...I know theres a few more on there..cause I remember downloading them to do a compare....but I dont find any others in the search...
Old 09-27-2005, 12:10 PM
8 Second Club

and heres 3 pictures of what predator added to the tune

this is all in teh compare function of HPT 2.0 so you are seeing values of how much is changed...meaning it added these amounts to the stock tune
Attached Thumbnails Can I get good results with HPT by myself??-capture_09272005_120448.png   Can I get good results with HPT by myself??-capture_09272005_120459.png   Can I get good results with HPT by myself??-capture_09272005_120525.png