Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble reconnecting autotap after disconnecting

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 11:43 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Having trouble reconnecting autotap after disconnecting

I just got a brand new autotap with v2 hardware.
I previously used a friends autotap (v1 hardware, v2.03 software) and had no issues.

New software and cable I start computer, connect cable, key to on and hit connect, first time connects okay. I then hit the disconnect button on software and turn off car like in the staging lanes. Then I put key to on again and hit connect and the computer says that the cable is not present.

It does this on every second attempt and the only cure is a complete reboot of the computer (over two minutes).

I did not have this issue with the autotap that I borrowed.

Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2002, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Default Re: Having trouble reconnecting autotap after disconnecting

What operating system are you using? Are you using a serial port or a USB to DB9 cable? Have you tried disconnecting your battery for 10 minutes? Is your pcm in good shape?
Old 10-19-2002, 05:23 PM
9 Second Club

Using Win 2000 and serial port connection.

PCM should be fine cause it just got tuned with ls1 edit plus it does connect when I reboot the machine.

Now sure why reseting the battery would help but I did reset it a week ago.
Old 10-19-2002, 06:39 PM
TECH Addict

I'm having a similar problem with WinXP, but I can't connect at all now even though I used to be able to connect. I have a serial port, but I'm going to try using my USB port with an adapter (one thing you could try). My problem is software related and I bet yours is too (as in operating system). I know that my programs and cables are good because I can connect with my desktop pc loaded with Win98. If I was you I would either borrow someone's laptop, that has Win98 on it, and see if that works, or you could just reload your machine with with Win98 and I suspect that might clear up your problem.
Old 10-19-2002, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

try going to top task bar go to optians and connect from there
hope this helps , Johnny
Old 10-20-2002, 08:47 AM
9 Second Club

Johnny I tried connecting through the task bar too and same thing keeps giving message that no autotap is in com 1.

Also I doubt it is software as in OS related as I used the same laptop 4 weeks ago with the same software but a different and lower version cable.

I called AutoTap on friday and did not get a call back and I have sent support email and posted on their forum and each has gone unanswered as of now but it is the weekend.

Unfortunately I will be out of town and away from my car all week and be able to resolve till the weekend but they are not available weekends.
Old 10-20-2002, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

Win2000, from my understanding, has updated .DLL files (and other files that are used by your scanning software), as does XP, and the operating system doesn't recognize your scanning software and it's trying to "throw it off your system." Your a-tap was created using old Windows .dll files. That's precisely why my LS1 Edit doesn't want work on XP now. These are "smart" operating systems. I didn't want to believe it either because it means I have to buy another laptop with Win98 or 95 because it's not practical to reload my laptop with an older operating system because it will not recognize all my hardware. At first I was able to connect intermittantly (like you), and then not at all.
Old 10-21-2002, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

If it will not connect, then it may be as simple as the cig lighter fuse, it also controls the diognostic terminal.
Old 10-23-2002, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

what if it only reads the SES codes?I have ZERO options to check anything else.... also the new cable running XP

Quick Reply: Having trouble reconnecting autotap after disconnecting