PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!!! new motor problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question HELP!!! new motor problems, motor keeps dying, come on guys.

Just got my new setup in the car and I'm having some problems. The motor is a forged 347 with a TH400 trans. The motor ran great at first, I went out driving to put some miles on the new motor and it started to miss and breakup in the 3000-4000 range so I stopped got some gas and it didn't want to go anywhere. The missing and breaking up went down low in the rpms the tach in the dash stop working. So I towed it home. My HPtuners was showing a P0336 - Crankshaft position {CKP} senser performance code. I replaced the senser and plugs, the motor came back alive and was running great. Took it out and 5 miles later the same thing happed again. I don't know what to do I checked all the wiring over and over again the grounds are good. What could be killing the crankshaft position senser or do you think I just had two weak sensers that just went out? The senser I just put in was a AC Delco.
What do you think? I'm clue less......

Last edited by Z28FirefighterI1; 10-13-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:33 PM
10 Second Club

Anybody got any ideas?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:11 PM
JJB
TECH Apprentice

well your running a 160 stat...brush up on the posted temp stickeys...cam and crank sensors work off of magnetic fields...check into cam sensors and dead piston misfire if you have a live scan tool...do the dark test on your plug wires that they are not grounding frying the fields and lastly make sure you have all grounds connected...let us know
Old 10-11-2006, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Well I put a another crank position senser in the motor and I added a 4ga ground from the batt to the front of the head. Checked all of the wiring again. The motor started and ran great for the first 15 mins. Then it started with little pops and the the tach dropped out and the motor went to missing again. STILL DON'T KNOW????????????? Just killed another Crank position senser.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:36 PM
10 Second Club

Anybody got any ideas, I checked the voltage at the senser it was right at 12.5 when running. I tried another computer still doing the same stuff.........
Old 10-13-2006, 10:46 PM
FormerVendor

new motor Bad crankshaft end play was there any phsical damage to the crank sensor they rarely go "out" as I found out today even with some damage, dide you do a relearn?
Old 10-14-2006, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

No there was no physical damage to the senser, it seems that it don't go out till the motor gets hot. Sometimes I can let it cool down and it will start working for a min then it goes out again. And my buddy told me for the relearn just hold the rpms @ 2000 for a min and I would be good.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:32 PM
10 Second Club

ttt.....
Old 10-17-2006, 07:41 PM
10 Second Club

Had a friend come over today with a tech 2 and did the crank relearn and it did the same thing in ten mins. Going to try another senser just spaced out a little bit, see if that does the trick.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:25 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Have you been monitoring your ECT's while this is going on? These sensors by virtue of where they are in our cars' take a beating right where the wires go into the sensor it'self. GM has a newer design that is re-enforced around this area to support it better. Seeing how these cars are heavily dependant on ECT readings any faulty wiring whatsoever will place all kinds of gremlins in the system that will lead you to chase your tail all over the place. One CKP relearn should have been enough. It just seems like when you say it is fine for a while, that leads me to think that as the motor gets hotter, vibrates more this affects the possible faulty/worn ECT wiring at the connector. I have seen / attributed this fault to sevral Fbodies exhibiting lots of wierd faults. May not be your answer but for those others reading this it might help their situations.