Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Predator mess up dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Predator mess up dyno tune?

So my car has been dyno tuned. Awhile back I put a 160 thermostat in my car and used the Predator to have the fans cut on earlier to take advantage of the new stat. My question is, did running the Predator affect the tune that was done on my car.

The reason I ask is because I have been getting the random/multiple misfire code lately. I have a cam in my car and it has a 11LSA so I thought it could be an issue with the knock sensor.

Thanks for the help.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:44 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

if you just selected the Factory HP Tune and modified the fans in that and installed it, then no - it should not have changed anything else in your dyno tune. The Factory HP Tune just lets you modify the tune that is currently in the car and does not install any of the diablo tune changes.

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 01-21-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DustinWS6
The reason I ask is because I have been getting the random/multiple misfire code lately. I have a cam in my car and it has a 11LSA so I thought it could be an issue with the knock sensor.
If you're not actually getting a misfire then the predator should be able to help you with that too as it can correct that particular dtc reporting.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You did not install the performance tune from the Predator, did you?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
If you're not actually getting a misfire then the predator should be able to help you with that too as it can correct that particular dtc reporting.
How do I go about doing this?

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
You did not install the performance tune from the Predator, did you?
Hell no. I'm not that dumb lol
Old 01-22-2008, 11:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, then if you used the factory hp tune, there should be no issues related to the tune.
You could always restore the stock tune to the car to see how it runs with the Predator removed.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:33 AM
TECH Resident

How do I go about doing this?
To answer this I need to hook up my predator and go through the menu system. Right now is not a good time for me. I will try to get to the car (in storage) tomorrow.

06MonteSS is the predator expert in my opinion. Can you guide him along Lewis?
Old 01-22-2008, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
OK, then if you used the factory hp tune, there should be no issues related to the tune.
You could always restore the stock tune to the car to see how it runs with the Predator removed.
Removing the Predator tune from my car wouldn't hurt the tune that my tuner did on the dyno?
Old 01-23-2008, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
if you just selected the Factory HP Tune and modified the fans in that and installed it, then no - it should not have changed anything else in your dyno tune. The Factory HP Tune just lets you modify the tune that is currently in the car and does not install any of the diablo tune changes.
I had installed the Predator tune to my car a long time ago. Then I had a cam installed and they dyno tuned my car. After the dyno tune I installed the stat then re programmed my fans using the Predator.

Also could you shed any light on why I would be throwing a mis-fire code?
Old 01-24-2008, 07:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Removing the Predator tune from my car wouldn't hurt the tune that my tuner did on the dyno?
well, it depends... did you ever restore your stock/OEM tune to your car BEFORE you got the dyno tune?? if you did this, when you went to modify the fans, it should have saved your dyno tune as your original backup now..

if you did NOT do that and your original OEM tune is the original backup in the predator, then yes, if you restore the stock tune that is saved in your predator, it will overwrite the custom dyno tune...

no clue about the mis-fire code...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Also could you shed any light on why I would be throwing a mis-fire code?
Cam changes, especially with big ones result in misfire codes; at any rate, I have seen this before. I don't know technically why but this has come up before. I would do a search on "misfire code cam" and see if anything bubbles to the surface. Just a little light, sorry.

edit:
I did a search, loads of threads....
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you got it custom tuned at a dyno they probably shut off the missfire detection at low rpms as if you dont it will make a missfire show up even though there really isnt one.

But it looks like somehow, either they didnt do that or you put in the preditor tune and it over wrote the tune and turned the missfires back on.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

well, it depends... did you ever restore your stock/OEM tune to your car BEFORE you got the dyno tune?? if you did this, when you went to modify the fans, it should have saved your dyno tune as your original backup now..

if you did NOT do that and your original OEM tune is the original backup in the predator, then yes, if you restore the stock tune that is saved in your predator, it will overwrite the custom dyno tune...

no clue about the mis-fire code...
I did NOT restore the stock tune to the car before the dyno tune. I was meaning to but completely forgot before I dropped my car off.

So you're saying that my it could have stored my dyno tune as my back up tune now? Should I try reseting it to the back up tune?
Old 01-24-2008, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wait4me
If you got it custom tuned at a dyno they probably shut off the missfire detection at low rpms as if you dont it will make a missfire show up even though there really isnt one.

But it looks like somehow, either they didnt do that or you put in the preditor tune and it over wrote the tune and turned the missfires back on.
He tuned it correctly and I had no problems until I changed the fans to come on earlier.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

"So you're saying that my it could have stored my dyno tune as my back up tune now? Should I try reseting it to the back up tune?"

nope.. cuz since the original backup wasn't restored before, it still had the original oem backup tune in there...

so when you went to change the fans, it didn't create a new backup - cuz it still had the other backup in there.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

"
nope.. cuz since the original backup wasn't restored before, it still had the original oem backup tune in there...

so when you went to change the fans, it didn't create a new backup - cuz it still had the other backup in there.

That is what im thinking, The pred just modified the tune already in memory and it just overwrote your tune you had without saving it again. The unit just assumed that you where still stock, It doesnt have a way to check. So that is why your missfires are now popping up because it just put its stuff back in and over wrote what was in the pcm.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

"So you're saying that my it could have stored my dyno tune as my back up tune now? Should I try reseting it to the back up tune?"

So basically I'm screwed and will have to deal with the annoying CEL?

The car still runs good and idles fine though
Old 01-24-2008, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could always buy a proper tune tool and turn it off
Old 01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ringram
You could always buy a proper tune tool and turn it off
Kinda hard to buy anything for myself when I'm still in college and only working part time