Sponsored by:

Anyone running WIde Band O2s?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone running WIde Band O2s?

as in http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/builtwb.htm

ANyone running these? I'm seriously thinking of buying 2 of them and having them installed in my Off Road Pipes... (get a bung welded in each and screw in)... would make A/F tuning really really easy if used in conjunction w/atap ... and wouldn't require a dyno...
Old 07-31-2003, 11:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone running WIde Band O2s?

So you need the controller, cable, display and then you have to get the O2 sensor. I checked Napa online and the sensor is $329. Seems like your looking @ over $800 bucks per setup. That's some serious cash for a product from a manufacturer that I have personally never heard of. I think the most affordable Air Fuel Ratio Monitor that I would consider "Tuner spec" would be the Motec PLM (Professional Lambda Meter). You can go to their website and check it out @ www.Motec.com They have the most complete technical support program of any fuel injection system manufacturer. You can take a look at the instruction manual for the PLM @ http://www.motec.com/support/manuals...20PLM%20A5.pdf
Old 07-31-2003, 11:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmmm... i'll have to look at that too... though the other solution is only about 275 (the prices on the site are australian currency) and I found the sensor for 175 on autozones site... but yea it is alot of cash... the big thing I liked about it is it outputs to RS232 (basically a serial cable) so I can write some software to capture it's inputs and record it then compare to my atap data for A/F tuning w/LS1 Edit

Are there any other options for wideband O2s (besides those already listed)? I wanna put my LS1 Edit to good use
Old 08-01-2003, 12:00 AM
Staging Lane

I think the PLM would be a great deal for a few buddies to go in on together, and have an invaluable tool available to tune their vehicle when needed.
Old 08-01-2003, 05:08 AM
Pathological Modifier

I have one on order, The complete assembled Kit with WBO2 sensor is $485.

That includes the controller, Display, Software for data logging, RPM & EGT input capable, and the Sensor its self, oh and shipping too.

Ryan K.
Old 08-01-2003, 06:14 AM
10 Second Club

Techedge V1.5 here...works great!

You'll consistently find that anyone who bags on it has a vested interest in a competing product...

The new 2.0 version uses a sensor that can be had for $29.
Old 08-01-2003, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Not bagging on it at all. Maybe just questioning its accuracy for that price. It just seems like you can't get that W/B technology for that kind of money. Consider that on FAST Electronics Fuel Injection systems, the W/B option is another 700 dollars and on an Accel Gen 7 I believe its closer to $900. Aside from that, there seems to be so many a/f gauges out there that are nothing more than a spectacular display of flashing lights to impress your friends. I will admit that I have never used the Techedge, and was just recommending what I have had excellent experiences with.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:10 PM
Restricted User

Look over at tuning section, theres a post about a LM Wideband or something, should be first or second page. Why so expensive for FAST ACCEl ect...because they have contracts with certain other manufacturers to sell their products together, joint venture, and "You dont know what you dont know!" So, there are other WB available, Techedge has been used quiet a lot, and with high reviews. I have been looking into one as well, but will only get one, hell if a tuner uses one to tune a 600hp car, why do I need two? \
NE way, look over at tuning and do a search....theres info on techedge, autotronic, and others.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:25 PM
Restricted User

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

couldnt find original thread about it, but thats the site. and Sparky already got his, and will hopefully be putting up a review.

Sensors are what really bangs the wallet for these setups. From my research, there seems to be as many different opinions on which sensors are best to which cam someone would recommend and why.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had the Techedge 1.5 for a few months and it works great for me. I did not buy the display. Instead I use a Palm for display and logging. It appears to be very consistant and responsive to any changes I make to PE. The only problem I've had is the 02 connector is on a short cable and is not waterproof. It's supposed to be. I wrapped it in plastic, but just recently spliced an extension. That's an issue with any of the makes, though. I suspect there are people getting strange readings and looking for the cause in the wrong places. I recommend it.

http://www.shonutperformance.com/ here's another reasonable 02 vendor
Old 08-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

The Bosch sensors seem to be good, but even within the Bosch lineup there are a few types.
Old 08-01-2003, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the FJO unit on my car and have used it to tune my turbo car, as well as a friends YS-Trim 347 mustang (went 9.50s on a small ET Street)

The FJO unit was pretty much right on the money with the dyno wideband.

Take a look at www.fjoinc.com and then go to the automotive section. It is a bit pricey and I would skip out on the display option. I got the really nice display with mine and never use it in favor of logging with the laptop instead.

Also, the RPM logging for any of these kits is the smartest money that you will spend. It is nice to know A/F, but it you don't know at what RPM that A/F occured then the information is useless other then saying whether you are safe rich or dangerous lean.

Scott
Old 08-02-2003, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^^ What he said -I agree. I have the FJO and you can easily add MAP for data logging AFR,RPM and MAP. Then you can log with Wideband and Autotap/EFILive etc. and correlate Timing, Knock, Injector Pulsewidth etc.
joel(Bink)