Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

what did you do to your firebird today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 11:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Today, I rebuilt the sagging door hinges with new bushing and pin/roller. Doors close like I just got it at the dealer!
Also, installed the B&M Stealth Pro Ratchet. What a difference from the sloppy shifter with a 4l80e.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:32 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Hawks shifter

Old plastic and new brass bushings

You know what this is
Installed my shifter yesterday, Took her for a spin today.
Old 04-15-2020, 08:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 349 Likes on 262 Posts

how you liking the hawks shifter?
Old 04-16-2020, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Nothing too special. Swapped out tips to 3.5 while trying to keep the stock style. Just temporary until I buy a Hooker true dual Blackheart exhaust
The following users liked this post:
JohnR (04-16-2020)
Old 04-16-2020, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 2JAWZ
Nothing too special. Swapped out tips to 3.5 while trying to keep the stock style. Just temporary until I buy a Hooker true dual Blackheart exhaust
I have always liked the Dual-Dual exhaust look.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Late to the "today" part.
Since I got the car recently with 14,*** miles on it, I decided to freshen her up. Last Tuesday I changed the fuel filter, gave her a fuel injector/combustion chamber cleaning ,changed the diff fluid, power steering, and engine oil over to Amsoil and changed the spark plugs out to NGK Rutheniums. That woke her up. Tomorrow I will be changing the trans fluid to Amsoil syn ATF, the brake fluid over to Amsoil Dot 4 racing brake fluid, changing the rotors and pads out to power stop drilled and slotted rotors and their carbon-ceramic pads as well as flushing the coolant out with classic Prestone. Amsoil coolant is way too much. I picked up some B&B OML "racing wires" and will swap those out. Oh and swapping out the upper and lower coolant hose to delete the PS "cooler". Maybe in a couple weeks I can add a real PS cooler. Any other recommendations you all can think of to make sure everything is running in tip top shape? I've looked into by passing the coolant line that goes to the throttle body.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shinobi Adam
Any other recommendations you all can think of to make sure everything is running in tip top shape?
My Bird is a '99 and I have begun to replace every fluid hose made from rubber that can fail and leave me stranded. Consider replacing the heater and power steering hoses. Are the tires original? If you want to upgrade any of the suspension pieces, I suggest you contact Sam Strano. I bought springs and shocks from him and I'm very happy with the results.
One thing to replace before it does real damage to your LS1 Block is the stock "Small Foot" Starter. When the small foot on the starter breaks, the long bolt on the outside of the block gets pushed outward and cracks off a chunk of the block. Do a search and you'll see some real horror stories. I replaced mine with a Summit Brand Starter that used 2 long bolts. While I was doing that, I also replaced the "Big Three" Battery Cables with AWG 2. Check out InovativeWiring.com. The guys name is Gary. Now the engine starts up faster than ever before! If you really want to get a hot spark, Holley sells a simple plug-in wiring kit that powers the ignition coils directly from the battery instead of through the computer.

That's all for now,
John

ramairjohn2000 (07-03-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally fixed my fenders, and installed these suckers to make sure that they stay fixed. I just saw these on here a couple weeks ago, and had to have them. They weren't too bad to install, the second one went much smoother.

The following 2 users liked this post by Nate_C:
ramairjohn2000 (07-03-2020), Steven503 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nate_C
I finally fixed my fenders, and installed these suckers to make sure that they stay fixed. I just saw these on here a couple weeks ago, and had to have them. They weren't too bad to install, the second one went much smoother.

Please tell us what they are called, and where did you buy them?
Thanks,
John
Old 05-07-2020, 12:33 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I have them too, but not yet installed.

Detroit Speed Fender Flange Shield Kit.

https://www.detroitspeed.com/fender-...irebird-010112

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=375&ModelID=7

I bought direct from Detroit Speed, but Sam Strano carries them too.
The following 2 users liked this post by VIP1:
JohnR (05-07-2020), Nate_C (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Strano Parts carries these. If you scroll up in this thread a little bit, someone posted them about a year ago, and there is a video of the installation process. http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=375&ModelID=7
Old 05-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnR
My Bird is a '99 and I have begun to replace every fluid hose made from rubber that can fail and leave me stranded. Consider replacing the heater and power steering hoses. Are the tires original? If you want to upgrade any of the suspension pieces, I suggest you contact Sam Strano. I bought springs and shocks from him and I'm very happy with the results.
One thing to replace before it does real damage to your LS1 Block is the stock "Small Foot" Starter. When the small foot on the starter breaks, the long bolt on the outside of the block gets pushed outward and cracks off a chunk of the block. Do a search and you'll see some real horror stories. I replaced mine with a Summit Brand Starter that used 2 long bolts. While I was doing that, I also replaced the "Big Three" Battery Cables with AWG 2. Check out InovativeWiring.com. The guys name is Gary. Now the engine starts up faster than ever before! If you really want to get a hot spark, Holley sells a simple plug-in wiring kit that powers the ignition coils directly from the battery instead of through the computer.

That's all for now,
John
The tires are new, I was happy about that. I will look into doing everything rubber. I have never heard of the starter problem, thank you, I will look into that. The lowering springs sound intriguing. I got extremely busy on Tuesday and did not get to everything I wanted. I got the brakes on as well as the brake fluid and transmission fluid done. Still need to do the coolant though. Will update when done. Slightly off topic question... Doing the #8 spark plug Does it get any easier with headers on? Maybe just a little more room? I'm not looking forward to doing them again.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Shinobi Adam
The tires are new, I was happy about that. I will look into doing everything rubber. I have never heard of the starter problem, thank you, I will look into that. The lowering springs sound intriguing. I got extremely busy on Tuesday and did not get to everything I wanted. I got the brakes on as well as the brake fluid and transmission fluid done. Still need to do the coolant though. Will update when done. Slightly off topic question... Doing the #8 spark plug Does it get any easier with headers on? Maybe just a little more room? I'm not looking forward to doing them again.
I have headers and can do #8 from below. Also, if I'm going to do any engine work that requires me to get under the cowl, I remove the wipers and the plastic covers. That gives you a little more room, and gets rid of all the little needles under the cowl area.
John
ramairjohn2000 (07-03-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 11:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 92 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
I have them too, but not yet installed.

Detroit Speed Fender Flange Shield Kit.

http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...=375&ModelID=7

I bought direct from Detroit Speed, but Sam Strano carries them too.
I installed these on my car. My fenders weren't sticking out, but the flanges were still bent. One side wasn't bad while the other was practically flat. One side took about an hour and the other one took about 15 minutes. The installation difficulty really depends on how bad your flanges are.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

My flanges have been bent flat more than once and my car has rust so it will probably be a pain.
Old 05-14-2020, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Been on this site a while, just not this side of it. Had an Impala SS LS4 for a while. I've had this 2000 T/A for about a year. Just put the wheels on today. Pretty similar to other styles done but I think my choice is a little unique and I haven't seen it done anywhere else. Rotiform WGR 18x9.5, 40mm offset wrapped in Kumho PS91s 275/35 on all corners. Its lowered on strano springs and not rubbing anywhere as far as I can tell.

The following 2 users liked this post by crich88848:
Barn Find CETA (06-03-2020), JohnR (05-14-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nate_C

Could you elaborate on this issue a little? Is this is a common "must need to fix" issue? Should I swap these out as a preventative measure? Sorry for the ignorance, but this is the first i'm hearing about this.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crich88848
Been on this site a while, just not this side of it. Had an Impala SS LS4 for a while. I've had this 2000 T/A for about a year. Just put the wheels on today. Pretty similar to other styles done but I think my choice is a little unique and I haven't seen it done anywhere else. Rotiform WGR 18x9.5, 40mm offset wrapped in Kumho PS91s 275/35 on all corners. Its lowered on strano springs and not rubbing anywhere as far as I can tell.
Those look great! I have been looking at Rotiform as well, but to get the size I want will cost 3 - 4k a set of wheels. I like the BLQ and BLQ-C. The BLQ-C in 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 will cost the 4k.
I'm gonna go with C7 Z06 replica wheels. $750
Old 05-15-2020, 10:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ARSENAL670
Could you elaborate on this issue a little? Is this is a common "must need to fix" issue? Should I swap these out as a preventative measure? Sorry for the ignorance, but this is the first i'm hearing about this.
When your car gets put on a lift, the lifting arms can smash the front fender flange which moves the bottom of the fender in or out. Check out the video on Detroit Speed. BTW, I just ordered a pair of these.

John
The following 2 users liked this post by JohnR:
ARSENAL670 (05-15-2020), ramairjohn2000 (07-04-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JohnR
When your car gets put on a lift, the lifting arms can smash the front fender flange which moves the bottom of the fender in or out. Check out the video on Detroit Speed. BTW, I just ordered a pair of these.

John

John,

Thanks! From looking at the link, its cheap insurance against possible issues. Good stuff.

Quick Reply: what did you do to your firebird today?