Old 08-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Accident question

2000 TA WS6 was driving in light rain.

I down shifted from 6th to 4th.

I was doing about 60 mph.

Traction control was off.

The car spun around counter clockwise doing a full 360.

I am curious if anyone else has had this happen or knows why.

I have an LS7 clutch and Nittos 555Rs on the back.

I may have hit oil on the roadway.

The car was not damaged badly.

Any input would be helpful.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those tires aren't exactly great for the rain and the tcs was off. That is my guess why you lost control.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Why did you downshift? I've driven mine in the rain plenty of times (I'm on normal 555s) and downshifting to slow down etc. this has never happened. Should not happen at all IMO (unless you jammed it in 2nd and thought it was 4th and locked the tires up). If you romped on the throttle, I could definitely see this happening. An oil slick is plausible. But we need a little more of the story...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We need pictures man...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

I have doubts about believing your story as told.

How much tread do you have on your tires?
If your tires are bald and/or you hit a oil patch or puddle of water then I could see that happening.
Also could be driver error, like Why87 said.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

Any number of factors involved here including simple hydroplaning at 60 mph. No grip to start with then downshifting on a sheet of water? Yikes! Tread factors in heavily too as does the road surface. These F-bodies aren't great in the wet to start with.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Regular

Especially with big wide tires....basically a set of water-skis!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

60 MPH, and down shift in to 4th...... You just increased torque on the drive train, on a wet road. Do it on a dry road, take a look at the RPM's, notice how they go up? Want to see it happen again on a dry road to test it out? Find a "smoth" dirt road and do it again ( i dont recomend anyone doing this) Result, loss of traction. End result, car spins to the right (counter clockwise) and you head for what ever is in front of you. Did you let out the clutch slowly, or "pop it out"? Pushing on the gas a little?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

ive had bald tires. this doesnt happen just when downshifting.. unless you hit the gas also.. but letting it coast and downshift.. no
Old 08-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Teching In

LOL.

Let me count the ways and the things I hit in my youth doing stuff like that!
Old 08-26-2012, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

A simple break in traction can do this. I was driving in traffic in a freak snow shower, 4 lanes in the same direction on a straight road, then I gently spun 180 degrees and was facing oncoming traffic at 50 MPH and gradually drifted toward the shoulder and came to rest against an embankment. I immediately got off the gas when I broke traction, and got damn lucky to get out out of that unscathed. Point being, if these cars lose traction, that *** end is coming around! Downshifting changed the equation that the car had negotiated with the wet and or oil slicked pavement and all hell broke lose. Traction control would likely have been your friend here.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Teching In

You guys are great.

Noted comments and stupidity on my part as the Nittos had not much tread left maybe 20%.

Probably a combination of factors.

For the record I did not hit the gas while down shifting just went from 6th to 4th to pass and boom.

I appreciate the input helping to guard against a repeat performance.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sabre_805
You guys are great.

Noted comments and stupidity on my part as the Nittos had not much tread left maybe 20%.

For the record I did not hit the gas while down shifting just went from 6th to 4th to pass and boom.

Always Rev match when downshifting. Not only is it easier on your drivetrain and a good habit, it prevents nasty accidents like this.

Hell I'm afraid to even drive my bird in the rain. I broke traction while going up a 20 degree incline at a stop light once during torrential downpour when I eased off the clutch.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sabre_805
You guys are great.

Glad to see you have a positive attitude about this. Now you have new "tools" for your tool box. You gotta drive ALOT more cautious in the rain, or when ever the roads are wet. I know its a little fun to get the rear a little loose on a wet road while leaving the stop light or stop sign. Just be careful...
Old 08-29-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Resident

Somewhat similar situation. I almost missed my turn onto a highway entrace curve about a week ago (just moved, new to the area). Road was a tad wet. Anyways when I realized "oh **** I'm supposed to get on here" I tried to quickly make the turn but the car wasn't having it. Back end broke loose and I slid sideways into the grass inbetween the normal road and highway entrance and took out two trees. Chipped driver side mirror paint and a barely noticable side skirt dent (practically under the car) was the only damage. Car took out those trees like a boss. What bothers me is that it wasn't that tight of a turn at only 40ish mph and the roads were just a tad wet. Kinda dissapointed that the car lost traction so easily.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

When the most of your weight is over the front wheels, and you have fairly wide tires, it's easy to get the rear to sling out on slick pavement.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

Wet pavement + wide tires + V8 + manual transmission = loose *** situation. Gotta drive like there's an egg under your right foot when its wet out. Traction control might have helped if you gassed it after down-shifting to 4th, but if you didn't rev-match and tried to use engine braking while popping the clutch, TC isn't going to tap the gas for you to keep the rear tires from breaking traction.

A few years back, going down a 6-lane snow covered/slushy freeway in my Dak R/T. Got on OK and was crusing ~60MPH w/ no issues, but my big mistake was attempting to use cruise control. Everything was fine until after coming down a hill to a level stretch, when the cruise control re-applied the throttle the rear end broke lose and the truck started to fishtail. Attempting to catch it, I started wheeling the steering back and forth without much luck. The silly cruise control was merely attempting to hold a steady speed, it pays no attention to yaw acceleration or steering wheel input. Having just passed a semi-truck, tapping the brakes didn't seem like a smart idea, so I attempted to hit the CANCEL button and kill the cruise control. Only thing was, the CANCEL button was on the steering wheel that I was spinning back and forth to keep out of the ditch and it took me a couple tries to hit it. A few more fish-tail swings back and forth later, I killed the cruise and the truck came back in line. No problem. It only took 2 weeks for the bruises on my right arm, caused by my wife hitting me, to go away. Women just don't understand that they should NOT scream and get violent WHILE you are attempting to regain control of an out-of control vehicle.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 08-31-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Accident question