Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 07:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6Mark
Anyone used these Hawks Motorsports HID headlights/fog lights? Everytime I read about HID lights it gets real complicated, but this seems like a simple, complete package.
If you are looking for simple, have you come across the LMS Truck headlight conversion? It's not HID, but it is modern, brigher bulbs.
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (03-30-2020)
Old 04-26-2020, 06:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default LT1 Firebird Headlight Upgrade

I was getting really tired of cost effective headlight upgrade ls that weren't much better than stock sealed beam. A friend recommended Z-OFFROAD 4x6 headlights from amazon. These things are bright. I really like them for the money, only $80. They have a clean cutoff at the top so you don't blind other people. The look is pretty subjective but since we have pop-up headlights, you don't see then unless they're on anyway. Just giving yall a heads up before you get tired of lack of options and fork out $650 for blackbirds.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:06 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default TA LED Headlight for LML

Hi , I came across a LED head light upgrade for the TA . Anyone have this set up or know anything about it ?

https://latemodellighting.com/collec...e-complete-kit

Thx
Old 05-15-2020, 12:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I replied in your other thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-lighting.html

Originally Posted by VIP1
Those pics don't show the actual housings or beam pattern at 25ft so I can't really comment on overall quality, but I'm guessing they used aftermarket housings and drop-in LED bulbs, both of which already exist of varying quality and have been covered in other threads. Can you contact them to get better pictures (housings, bulbs, pics at 25ft to see beam against wall)?

I'm noticing that their other product pages don't show the actual product either, just a pic of a lit housing. Their kit breakdown doesn't list all the parts in the kit either. How do you know what will actually arrive in the mail? And their pictures are overblown, not showing actual/clear output.
Old 05-15-2020, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd rather stick with these guys:

https://www.blackbirdlighting.com/98-02.php
Old 05-19-2020, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Gremlins

Hi all, recently replaced my left headlight motor as it would intermittently stay up when turning off. Worked fine for a couple months. Now it wont go up but the light is on. If I manually crank it up, it will go down with the functional one. Sometimes both lights wont pop up though. I took the headlight control module out and cracked it open and resoldered a couple connections and knocked the relay a bit with a screwdriver handle...nothing. I noticed that when I plug the control module back in that the 5 pin connector when plugged in, I can hear the relay click. Does nothing when I plug up the 4 pin connector.

Lastly when I turn the headlight switch in the cabin I think I head a faint noise coming from the left (bad) side headlight area. Anyone experienced this? Its either 3 things from what I can tell. Module is indeed bad due to relay failure, new headlight motor is bad, or wiring from motor to module is bad somewhere....

Any help will be much appreciated!
Old 05-20-2020, 09:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

I can't assist other than to point you here. It's bound to have your answer. Good luck! https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...s-go-here.html
Old 05-20-2020, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

The plastic bump stop probably fell off. There's 2 and they provide the resistance that the system uses to figure out if the light is up or down. I replaced mine with some rubber vacuum line and it worked out fine.

Normally I'd say you connected the arm backwards, but it wouldn't have worked at all if you did that.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Start at the motor electrical connector. There are two wires for the motor, a ground for the lamps, and two power connections for the lamps.

Test the motor wires at the connector for 12V while someone turns on the lights, then wait a minute, then turn the lights off, and then work backwards from there. Those two wires are 12V and reverse polarity for up/down pulses that come from the headlight module.
jasonstiller (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bammax
The plastic bump stop probably fell off. There's 2 and they provide the resistance that the system uses to figure out if the light is up or down. I replaced mine with some rubber vacuum line and it worked out fine.

Normally I'd say you connected the arm backwards, but it wouldn't have worked at all if you did that.
where are these bumpsstops?
Old 05-23-2020, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

The bumpstops are located at pivot points of the control arm.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:35 AM
Save the manuals!

If it doesn't move at all, it's not and issue with the stops. It would be electrical.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

OK guys, I'm having trouble with a headlight motor. I was getting the grinding noise so I replaced the gear with another plastic one. The one I took out had several broken teeth. Everything went back correctly, but I'm still getting a grinding noise when I lower the lights. Think the problem is that I went with another plastic gear, or is it something else?
Old 05-30-2020, 10:27 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by skopers3
OK guys, I'm having trouble with a headlight motor. I was getting the grinding noise so I replaced the gear with another plastic one. The one I took out had several broken teeth. Everything went back correctly, but I'm still getting a grinding noise when I lower the lights. Think the problem is that I went with another plastic gear, or is it something else?
A lot of times, the gear breakage is caused by the motor body becoming loose from the gear case. (It's only held on by a few metal tabs.) When that happens, the worm gear is loose on the drive gear and things get torn up. If this has happened to you, it may have torn up your new gear.

http://firebirdclublatvia.lv/en/2014...ues-and-fixes/
Old 05-31-2020, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
A lot of times, the gear breakage is caused by the motor body becoming loose from the gear case. (It's only held on by a few metal tabs.) When that happens, the worm gear is loose on the drive gear and things get torn up. If this has happened to you, it may have torn up your new gear.

http://firebirdclublatvia.lv/en/2014...ues-and-fixes/
I took it back apart and the gear still looks new, but am still having the problem.
Old 06-01-2020, 02:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Still look for the loose motor to gearbox. That worm gear could be hopping out of place, making the noise. The new gear may not be torn up yet - but it will be eventually.
Old 08-09-2020, 06:35 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AFTERmarket Headlights

I searched the forum with no luck on finding an answer to my question.... Ive been looking at replacing the headlight housing and all with an all in one LED 4*6 HEADLIGHT. I made this work on my 97 ws6 but don't recall as it was years ago. Has anybody else done this?

Note; i have a 99 now.. Hence different headlights
Old 08-09-2020, 03:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

I'm confused... are you looking for headlights for your '99? Your '99 doesn't take 4x6 headlights so you could never make that work without significant modification. It takes H4703 low beams and H4701 high beams which are both 92mm x 150mm (about 3.6" x 5.9"). I have not seen any LED units as replacements in that size like there are for many other sealed beam sizes (including the 4x6 H4651). There are several lens and bulb combinations available of which the LMC Truck housings are the most popular.
KILL*SHOT (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 03:51 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out the Lighting FAQ for some options.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

The quickest/easiest upgrade is LMC Truck Housings and 9011 & 9012 Bulbs.
The next easiest with better output is Hella 60mm Projectors with 35 watt HID Kit.
Next, Other Projectors that take a bit more work, EX: Sinolyn 3" Bi-Xenon Projectors (what I have).
(However the stock shrouds won't fit without trimming on the larger projectors I have)

More options in Lighting FAQ.

If you really want LED, you can experiment with LED in the LMC Truck Housings but there are several different drop-in LED options out there and most don't even match Halogen Output or Beam Pattern let alone beat it (other than being whiter which tricks people). Some are decent though, but it depends on the bulb and the housing. If you go that route, stick with the ones that have a thin line/strip of LEDs in the same shape/placement as the Halogen Bulb's Filament. I have LED in my LMC Truck High beam (although I did try a few different options and kept the ones that appeared best in the group I was testing -- there are more options out there).

Also, I later found on AliExpress an LED version of the sealed 3" projectors that I have:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...263e4484QXoMeQ
But these are flat cut-off and not stepped. Stepped is preferred for headlights. No clue how they compare in output. Pictures make them look like HID with the streaks. That high beam pattern doesn't look that great either, but we have separate high beams so its not much of an issue.

I also just found these which take a different approach to the projector design:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301...%2315608%23199
No clue how they compare, but the pics look interesting. Output possibly looks a bit too smooth though. I don't see a clear hot spot like the others. I'd have to see them side-by-side compared to other options to judge better.

Last edited by VIP1; 08-09-2020 at 04:21 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by VIP1:
JohnR (08-31-2020), KILL*SHOT (08-09-2020)
Old 08-09-2020, 05:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
Check out the Lighting FAQ for some options.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

The quickest/easiest upgrade is LMC Truck Housings and 9011 & 9012 Bulbs.
The next easiest with better output is Hella 60mm Projectors with 35 watt HID Kit.
Next, Other Projectors that take a bit more work, EX: Sinolyn 3" Bi-Xenon Projectors (what I have).
(However the stock shrouds won't fit without trimming on the larger projectors I have)

More options in Lighting FAQ.

If you really want LED, you can experiment with LED in the LMC Truck Housings but there are several different drop-in LED options out there and most don't even match Halogen Output or Beam Pattern let alone beat it (other than being whiter which tricks people). Some are decent though, but it depends on the bulb and the housing. If you go that route, stick with the ones that have a thin line/strip of LEDs in the same shape/placement as the Halogen Bulb's Filament. I have LED in my LMC Truck High beam (although I did try a few different options and kept the ones that appeared best in the group I was testing -- there are more options out there).

Also, I later found on AliExpress an LED version of the sealed 3" projectors that I have:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000...263e4484QXoMeQ
But these are flat cut-off and not stepped. Stepped is preferred for headlights. No clue how they compare in output. Pictures make them look like HID with the streaks. That high beam pattern doesn't look that great either, but we have separate high beams so its not much of an issue.

I also just found these which take a different approach to the projector design:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301...%2315608%23199
No clue how they compare, but the pics look interesting. Output possibly looks a bit too smooth though. I don't see a clear hot spot like the others. I'd have to see them side-by-side compared to other options to judge better.
Thanks for the info!! Ill check em out.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE