Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 01:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may have already been said, I did not read 8 pages of post sry. I had already turned my gear 90 degrees like the fix said but I didn't know to tighten those four 'clamps' back. So naturally it just wore out again. Only problem was there was no 'new' section left to go to without getting a new gear. I ended up having to put the most wore out part of the gear I had facing the up position and the middle and down postions were still unworn. Funny thing is it works like it's supposed to!!!

Why would that one part of my gear grind when it was at the bottom position but work fine if I rotated it 180 degrees? Oh well who cares??? It works!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pyronotic138
where can you get the bronze gears.
Link is in the first post
Old 11-13-2006, 06:36 AM
Staging Lane

Default another headlight thread

i was reading the headlight thread but i didn't see anything that touched on my issues. i just bought a 2000 trans am when i got it the someone had jumped the 2 motors together(ran wires from the drivers side motor to the passenger side motor) so i took the wires out and hooked the passenger wire back up to the stock wiring, and now it doesn't move. so i tried rehooking them back up the way they were when i got them because they worked that way. but now they won't do anything. i know it is not the motors because we hooked them up directly to the battery and they worked fine. i guess what my question is, could the headlight control gone out? also is there any relays the need to be changed i could find any in my manual. and yes we but new fuses in.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Default headlights

i know how to fix them already. i just ordered the gears from the guy. i just wanted to vent about how pissed of i am about it. i pulled up at a party and i heard a girl say nice car. i turn off the headlights and the most god awful noise comes out. freaking machine gun. then she was like never mind. lol. stupid *** crappy design.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WS64LIFE
i pulled up at a party and i heard a girl say nice car. i turn off the headlights and the most god awful noise comes out. freaking machine gun. then she was like never mind. lol. stupid *** crappy design.
First time my gear crapped out was at a christmas party in front of alot of people
Old 12-10-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Interesting headlight issues.....

Well ok just to start off about a month ago my left headlight started making the dreaded grinding noise. So within a day of it I had the entire headlight apart and flipped the gear around. Anyway maybe a week ago I had been noticing the the headlight wasnt all the way down and had a gap. So I removed the rubber thing (which I had put back after the fix) and turned the hex so it touched the body and closed the gap. Unfortunately, every time I used the headlights it would reset itself with the gap so I fixed it twice more and then BAM. The grinding noise started again. So that has been going on for at least a week now and then just recently an even crazier thing occurred. My right headlight started not coming all the way up when i turn on the headlights. Turns out somehow it hits the hood and cant go up any further. So now some of my paint has been chipped of due to the contact with the hood. So whenever I want my headlights up I have to pop my hood, turn them on, and then listen to the loud grinding noise from the left one. My car must look incredibly ghetto at night Also, what I really don't understand is the right headlight issue I've had the car almost 9 months and the issue just started. So why does it catch on the hood all of a sudden?

Geez this is long......
Old 12-12-2006, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey once again just wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue. My right headlight started not coming all the way up when i turn on the headlights. Turns out somehow it hits the hood and cant go up any further. So now some of my paint has been chipped of due to the contact with the hood. So whenever I want my headlights up I have to pop my hood, turn them on, and then close it. Also, what I really don't understand is I've had the car almost 9 months and the issue just started. So why does it catch on the hood all of a sudden?

Later......
I looked and I think the rubber stopper that is supposed to hold the hood up is damaged and shorter than it is supposed to be. Its the thing sticking up like 10 inches from the headlight. Anyone else had this hood scratching issue at all?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Have you tried adjusting the headlight cover so that it clears the edge of the hood? I believe its only 4 screws that secure it to the assembly
Old 12-13-2006, 05:25 PM
Teching In

I'm about to replace my headlight gears (2nd time). This time with the brass gears.

I ordered from bfranker@tampabay.rr.com's web site and paid $85.00 via Paypal. I ordered 3 days ago and haven't heard BOO from this guy. I've sent a couple of emails.
I know people are busy right now, so I'm asking if anyone has ordered from this company before. I just don't want or need to get ripped off at Christmas...
Old 12-13-2006, 05:39 PM
Teching In

I'm also too ashamed to drive it until it is fixed!

It's like my girlfriend has a big giant ZIT on the end of her nose!!!

All the feelings are the same... Just don't want to be seen in public with her!!!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:13 PM
Teching In

Man, my car just started doing the same thing.. Thats pretty crazy that a mechanical problem like a stripped gear can cause the thing to act like it's got an electronic/electrical problem. I had the wiring schematics and rang out every one of those damned wires and was convinced it was the control module...

Long story short, picked up a module from the junk yard that i don't need, anynody want it? lol

PS what about the brass gears, where's a good place to get them?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Brent Franker...Good guy to deal with.

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/index.htm
Old 12-14-2006, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

omg, not far above this thread is another thread, titles TRANS AM HEADLIGHTS... bloody search....
Old 12-14-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

The reason your gear keeps stripping is because your motor is wobbling around on its mounts. If it wobbles like this it will strip gears out like no tomorrow. You can fix it by taking the motor out then getting a spike and hammering the crap out of the tabs that hold the motor on. I had same problem and so far its worked. Theres a write up on bfranker's site.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Teching In

Default again about bouncing headlights

I noticed a couple of posts regarding bouncing headlights. I have 01' firebird. One guy posted this:

"uhh. first off i have problems and its with both lights. while they are in the down position you can lift them up about 2 inches or so but they dont stay up. yet they work right but when i am driving they seem to bounce a little. any advice for getting them to where they are like locked down. the way it sounds is the middle part where the motor connects to the gear kinda bowtied and allows a little play. any fix for this"

Thats exactly what is happening to me. But I couldn't find solution for this in your answers. I am sure that this is not the problem with worn gear, because the motor arm rest tightly at the stopper. So the problem is with the "middle part". Any ideas how to fix it?
Old 12-15-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default loud bang when headlights close???

How the hell can you lessen the loud clunking noise when the damn headlights close on these ls1 firebirds? My headlights work perfect in every way except for how noisy they are during closing.

It sounds very cheap and it sounds like something is going to break all of the time. The lt1 cars closed alot quieter than the ls1 4th gen and the corvettes seem to close quieter as well.

Can you cover the stop position with something soft to lessen the thud?
Old 12-15-2006, 05:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Mine clang to--but as long as they work ---I'm not sure I want to mess with them
Old 12-15-2006, 08:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

Yeah, it is quite distracting. My '96 Formula was very quiet compared to my '01 T/A. I tried lubricating everything and it just doesn't matter. I agree that it sounds like they are going to break.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:43 PM
TECH Veteran

make sure they still have those little rubber caps on the arms.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Noisy LS1 firebird headlights???

Does anyone know how to quiet the racket that these headlights make when closing? Is it the actual motor making the loud banging noise or can you add some soft material to the "stops" to soften the bangs?

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE