Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

can i use motor from ford mustang 2017?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 05:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i use motor from ford mustang 2017?

Hi guys. Last year, I flew the engine, I have the only firebird trans am in my country and in general we have very few Americans on the roads and it is almost impossible to find the engine. There is an option for time to deliver from ford mustang 2.3 2017. I would like to ask whether it is suitable or not at all?
Old 04-29-2019, 06:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 183 Likes on 145 Posts

Anything can be made to work given enough money and time. But most of us here know almost nothing about Ford engines so you won't get much advice or guidance.

Rick
Old 04-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

I expect that the Ford engine is an overhead cam and taller than the stock LS engine we have. So, you should check the dimensions before thinking more. If the distance from the mounts to the top of the engine is greater than the LS, such a modification will be near impossible. (Space at the top of our engines is so tight, we do not have enough room to put a supercharger on top of the stock engine and have to use one that mounts to the side.)

Is it impossible to repair and rebuild your original engine?
Old 05-03-2019, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Not to mention you'd likely have to find some way to mate that engine to your existing trans or swap the trans too, which brings in a whole other level of complexity. The electrical systems won't match up since the 17 Mustang is going to be CAN based, while the Firebird is not, so you run into a lot of issues with the cluster not working or any of the gauges for that matter.
As was stated, it's not impossible, but likely not worth the time and investment it would take. It would be cheaper and easier to have an engine shipped in to your country than to swap that engine.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:22 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The effort requirred to make such a swap work is probably well more than you'll feel is worth the effort. You'll have many things to consider, and these are just a few of them: fuel system requirements, computer control and wiring for engine and body, driveshaft modification, front suspension due to weight differences, engine mounts, custom k-member, transmission mount, cooling system, engine bay spacing, HVAC, throttle cable hookup, etc.

I have done a V6-to-LS swap in a '95 Firebird, and that had it's own share of obstacles. I can't imagine all the unforeseen issues with mating a Ford drivetrain into a GM product. If time and money is no object, then I am sure the swap can be accomplished.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to lay it all out there in advance.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These guys are right. Americans put a man on the moon not because its easy, but because its hard. The obstacles you will run into with this swap will be similar in complexity with no treat at the end. If you cannot find another LS type engine in your country to install, you will never find all the little bits required to get this Ford conversion done. Fix existing engine or find one that is the same, or just abandon this car before you spend $ and effort in a dead end project.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Save the manuals!

Before we rule this out completely, I should say that the best source of information for this (if it is possible) is not going to be this site. It will probably be a Ford forum. So a search there is probably needed to confirm the effort.

We have many members here who have put a LS engine in an old Fox (Ford) body and ts a common thing. Maybe putting a Ford engine in a F-Body is also a thing?

^ I would not expect so. The LS/Fox combination has packaging and weight advantages, which I don't expect we would see here. As I pointed out above, I don't expect that many overhead cam engines have a chance of fitting under the stock F-Body hood.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Keep in mind, this isn't just swapping an engine. There is almost 2 decades worth of technology that's changed. Everything in that Mustang is CAN based so there is an added level of complexity, nevermind just bolting it in with a transmission. Speedometer is based on signals from the wheel speed sensors to the ABS module, then bussed over to the cluster to display to the driver. RPM is also a message sent over the bus, fuel level, oil pressure, etc. All gauges are now bus messages, not hard wired from a sensor to the cluster. I would this all this would be a much bigger issue than just bolting a powertrain in.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is what happened to him.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-f...l#post19955360
Old 05-22-2019, 07:26 AM
Save the manuals!

This looks like a really common block repair that a racing team would do. It is possible to weld and patch the hole in the block and re-build the engine. I expect that would be the easiest way to get this car on the road.

Unfortunately, the guys in this video do not speak really good or clear English, but maybe the YouTube translator will help?

I expect a local machine shop that services racers can do this.