Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Whats My first Gen Worth

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Whats My first Gen Worth

I know the engine shouldnt be painted orange but it was pulled by the previous owner (the original owner) and repainted but I did check the engine and it is the correct engine.

Its a Pontiac 1969 Convertible with the 350 H.O. and turbo hydromatic transmission. 40K miles. Every peice of original equipment
Im the second owner. The car needs to be repainted as its cracking on the trunk lid and is just plain old.
It has the 350 H.O. package.
Ive driven the car and it drove fine but the tranny leaks bad. Probably a bad pan gasket from sitting in a garage for 13 years untouched.
The car starts fine.
The only thing ive done to the car was rebuild the brakes but the front driver side doesnt work.
Any questions Id be happy to answer?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would guess $10k-$15k. Looks like a good one to restore. How is it for rust, floor pans and trunk?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pics are way too small for detail, but thats a nice car. convertable, and you really dont see alot of 350 HOs around. like the other guy said....rust, rot, floors, quarters, etc. if its rock solid, all original, and with paperwork/documentation, id say even over 20k.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive never seen anymore than just a tiny bit fo surface rust on the car. Ill post up some detailed pics of the problem areas like the bad paint.

Any specific pics?
Old 01-31-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Near me there's a 1st gen with a fresh coat of "Resale Red"
and white top, asking $6500. No idea of up-close condition,
engine or originality.
Old 01-31-2007, 08:30 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Just looking at the photos, I'd say $14-15K would be a good starting price. Firebirds just do not have the resale demand that Camaros do of the same year, and the 69 Firebird was the least popular (appearance-wise) from 67-69. Convertible adds some value, depending on the condition of the roof and frame structure.

I've seen several nicely restored convertible 67-69 Firebirds in the $20-22K range with new paint.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

I say you should turn it into a Trans Am Clone, then sell it. It would be worth a bit more but the car looks great as it and a good price 14-16k-ish depending on rust ect.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rancor352
I say you should turn it into a Trans Am Clone, then sell it. It would be worth a bit more but the car looks great as it and a good price 14-16k-ish depending on rust ect.

If its pretty close to original I wouldnt make a clone anything out of it. Remember the fad right now on the famous auctions like Barret Jackson is cars that are original. As far as the engine color, yea its supposed to be silver blue, they sell the correct color paint through summit and even AZ.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

8- 10k the way it sits only if the floors,trunk pans and frame and quarter panels are all good and solid.Completely restored from top to bottom 25k.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Keep it 100% stock original especially if you have the original bill of sale and do you have the build sheet ? Thats really helps.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

I can tell some of you do not have experience in collectible cars

The car is almost 40 years old. If there hasn't been a huge demand for 67-69 Firebirds in the last 40 years, there most likely will not ever be a huge demand for them. The Camaros of the same year have always, and will always be more popular and more expensive. Just because a car is old, that doesn't make it an instant "collector car" worthy of big dollars or Barrett-Jackson. The car also has to be rare and in demand.

Keeping this car 100% stock won't increase the value much at all. It sure hasn't shown this in four decades.

If you want the most money out of it, I'd recommend this:

-Put a 69 Trans Am wing on the back.
-Get it repainted white with blue 69 Trans Am stripes.
-Put some 17" Torque-Thrust 2 wheels/tires on it.
-Fix the tranny leak
-Paint the engine Pontiac Blue
-Replace the seat skins and freshen up the interior

Doing so would put it into the $24-25K range, IMHO. Everyone likes T/A clones, most of the white 69 Firebirds are now T/A clones haha.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

LOL, well i agree and disagree on that reply. Reasons to keep it orginal IMO>
1. He has all paperwork from original owner- Big Plus.
2. He know's the history of the car - Big Plus.
3. Original drivetrain,if the vin numbers on that block match the body it is a Big Plus.
4. It is a 350 H.O - Big Plus.
5. 40k miles if that is true - Very Big Plus.
If it was mine I would put the original rims back on it and restore right off the build sheet if you have it.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 508 Likes on 366 Posts

Brianss1 is 100% correct. That's the way to go.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:19 PM
12 Second Club

Received 569 Likes on 451 Posts

LS1/T56 swap, 18" Fikse's, 4th gen interior, and the aforementioned Trans Am paint scheme. Now you're up to 35-40K. Just what I would do with it, personally.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

The car is almost 40 years old. If there hasn't been a huge demand for 67-69 Firebirds in the last 40 years, there most likely will not ever be a huge demand for them. The Camaros of the same year have always, and will always be more popular and more expensive. Just because a car is old, that doesn't make it an instant "collector car" worthy of big dollars or Barrett-Jackson. The car also has to be rare and in demand.

Keeping this car 100% stock won't increase the value much at all. It sure hasn't shown this in four decades.

-Fix the tranny leak

Doing so would put it into the $24-25K range, IMHO. Everyone likes T/A clones, most of the white 69 Firebirds are now T/A clones haha.
69' TA convertable with that build is my damn dream.

Something about the way those look just makes me drool.

Wasn't there only something like 8 built with the Ram Air IV engine? Maybe that was convertable, I would have to look at my book back at home. IIRC this was the last engine DeLorean had a hand in building before he left GM. Suppose to be a powerhouse.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always liked the early Firebirds' looks more than the
Camaro myself. I keep looking at that one I mentioned
as I drive by the classic car dealership. But I need one
more project like I need one more project. Still the
thing about leaving your hands off it is, the chance
that some fool like us only with a Firebird fetish will
have his optimism and imagination outrun his common
sense and write the long check. More so when you
can point to original. Though probably a steam clean,
a couple cans of Pontiac color paint, a good month
of driving (maybe add a little grime for effect) would not
hurt the illusion. An unmolested driver not in disrepair,
should get some dates.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

-Fix the tranny leak

Im not saying that its one of the Barret Jackson cars, simply that there is more out there for the car if it is close to being all original, or just restored to original. Anybody can make a TA clone, how many can say they have an original Firebird 350 HO convertable.

I agree that the 69 Bird is the least desirable of the 1st gens, but still people out there still like them. And comparing them to a 69 Camaro isnt fair, ask alot of people what the first car that pops in their head when they think of the word GM muscle car, bam 69 Camaro.

Ok im finished
Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Personally i think the 69's are the best looking first gens, they have a style all there own. The highest i've seen a 69 vert sell for is 46k most sell in the 20's depending on condition. Yours, like others have said, is probably good for 10-15k. Your is pretty basic, basic vinyl interior, basic gauges, no wood grain dash, can't tell if it has cruise but cruise was a very rare option. Does have a 350H.O. which is rare and can help the resale. It needs tlc and depending on the rust could make a good car. NADA does antique cars now and is usually pretty close to what they sell for, might wanna check that out.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Wasn't there only something like 8 built with the Ram Air IV engine? Maybe that was convertable, I would have to look at my book back at home. IIRC this was the last engine DeLorean had a hand in building before he left GM. Suppose to be a powerhouse.
thats the Ram Air V. IV you can get in GTOs and f-bodies. im not sure how many Vs were put out. it was basically a race engine that was leaked to the public, until the higher-ups got wind of it and killed the idea. the RA IV was an incredible motor, vastly underated at 370hp. the RA V was simply an animal.
Old 02-03-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Haha well Im seliing it anyways guys so Im not gonna mod it. I got the car for INSANELY cheap so I reall just bought it as an investment. I dont have to money to restore it right now as I am a poor college student. My dad has talked about funding the restoration for me but well see, Id like that.

I think Im gonna go take some picture of it after I clean it up a little.

Anybody no how I could get records on the car from the DMV